Cryptic Crossword #3 [Completed]

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a link to an in-depth cryptic crossword solving guide.

Here is a link demonstrating my competency as a crossword setter.

Here and Here are links to previous on-site crosswords (full answers and parsings in last posts)

Here is a crossword grid:

aag_zps50ae4de9.png

Here are some clues:

AA_zps1498e50b.png
ad_zps572eaa7d.png

Here is some information:

Please feel free to complete the crossword by posting answers in this thread. I will endeavour to update the O.P grid and respond to answers at least twice daily.

I have attempted to follow Ximenes-ish rules. And when I say -ish, I mean ISH. Really it's more of an Libertarian style on account of my amateurism and lack of skill.

Once again, feel free to tell me how I could've done it better/what I got wrong.

Here are some guidelines:

*Try to have fun.

*Work together or on your own.

*Bemoan the clues.

*It's encouraged (but not necessary) to parse the clues when answering. This will help me learn where I am going wrong/right.

*Discussion of clue construction is also encouraged.

*I may bump the thread occasionally if it drops off the radar, but I will let it die if no-one gives it a crack after 7 days.

*Try to have fun.

Here is a plea:

Don't shout at me too much if you find I've messed something up--instead, tell me where I went wrong.

Here is where you take over:

Good luck :)

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A way to reach the top first? Lick every bosses' undeniably mighty posterior!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
1 across! There is a "fat chance" of this crossword defeating us! :D :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Let me put these in white so I don't steal ALL THE CLUES. :D

31 across, "ideal". Perfect (ideal) minds enable (hidden word locator) even answers (take the even letters).
32 across looks like "caste"?
37 across, "creed". Faith (creed) in (hidden word indicator) mediocre education.
Can't decide whether 38 across is "Lethe", the river of forgetfulness and oblivion, or "ethyl", the alcohol that turns you blind. Or is it methanol that makes you blind?

2 down, "alibi". In Mali, Bill (hidden word) makes an excuse (alibi).
10 down, "canal". A Manchester street (Canal Street) you can cruise down! (you can cruise down a canal in a boat, but for a triple meaning, you can cruise the gay bars in Canal Street)
11 down, "ibuprofen". Stoking up bonfire (anagram) gives you inflammatory relief (ibuprofen relieves inflammation).
23 down, "oui". We (ou) speak in (i) French, yes? (oui)
24 down, "ire". Two fifths of spire collapsed (remove two letters out of five from spire) - God's wrath? (ire)
51 down, "mate". Fuck (mate) buddy (mate) (double meaning).
54 down, "ammo". Heads of (take the first letters of) a multinational monetary organisation can be fired at will (ammo).

Last edited:

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's some nice work right there, Para. 10 out of 10!

For 38 across, the second answer is correct. You are right in saying it's not ethyl, but methanol, that makes you blind. In scrambling to come up with a defence to hide my obvious lack of research I offer this it can make you blind drunk! Feel free to snort derisively at my obvious cover up and thanks for pointing my mistake out -- it gives me insight into where I go wrong with clues. The insight being, I often get overwhelmed by the attempted humour of the surface reading and fail to see to it that the rest of the clue works as well. I'm so shallow!

Now, what to do about entering whited-out answers in the grid?

Perhaps I'll give it twenty four hours from each whited out answer before entering it into the grid. By doing this it'll give the more experienced solvers time to play on, but will also give the less experienced solvers help by having more letters in the grid.

Does that sound like a good way of going about things?

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
10 down is canal

Oh, yes!

So would 18 across be dredge?

Oh, no! (I'll offer apologies for this one in advance)

21 across is a nice clue! Idiotic.

Oh, yes!

37 across is creed

Ohhh, Yeees!

2 down is alibi

OOHHHH YEAH!!!!!!!!!

5 down is cynic

OH MY GOD, YAAAHHOOOO!

And now I will stop and give someone else a go!

Thems some nice moves, Miranda!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
For 38 across, the second answer is correct. You are right in saying it's not ethyl, but methanol, that makes you blind. In scrambling to come up with a defence to hide my obvious lack of research I offer this it can make you blind drunk! Feel free to snort derisively at my obvious cover up and thanks for pointing my mistake out -- it gives me insight into where I go wrong with clues. The insight being, I often get overwhelmed by the attempted humour of the surface reading and fail to see to it that the rest of the clue works as well. I'm so shallow!

:tongue Silly Harry!

Now, what to do about entering whited-out answers in the grid?

Perhaps I'll give it twenty four hours from each whited out answer before entering it into the grid. By doing this it'll give the more experienced solvers time to play on, but will also give the less experienced solvers help by having more letters in the grid.

Does that sound like a good way of going about things?

Sounds good to me! :D

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Down boy!

Sorry missus, I couldn't help meself. :blush:

Sounds good to me! :D

Will do. With any whited-out answer I'll wait 24hrs to put in the grid -- unless another solver solves it and then I'll stick it in.

Having said that, I wonder if we can't find a better way around the problem as it could get a little confusing for poor old me.

Half the fun for me (as you may have seen) is the mad dash of the clue getting -- but this does preclude the novice solver as things move so fast. So what's the answer?

Maybe have a limit to a set amount of clues one can answer throughout the day? Or, as I think you guys may have been doing already, have a novice start time for the solving and then an expert start time a few days later?

Any ideas?

I can see that 18 across is an anatomical reference. :tongue

I can only apologise again -- I swear it's the way the grid-filling software filled the grid. The only words that fit were what it is now and IN PLAY. I couldn't use IN PLAY as it was a part of the Saturday Times Jumbo Cryptic this week -- so I had to go ... elsewhere.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's complicated with different people doing the crossword at different speeds. Hmm.

I can only apologise again -- I swear it's the way the grid-filling software filled the grid. The only words that fit were what it is now and IN PLAY. I couldn't use IN PLAY as it was a part of the Saturday Times Jumbo Cryptic this week -- so I had to go ... elsewhere.

OK, as 18 across is "analytical", shall we say :tongue the down clue at the end is obviously "day" something? Anybody got any ideas?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
36 down, "typifying". Embodying (typifying) the year, perhaps? It's fairly yellow in Northern Georgia (clue is hidden here) primarily (take the first letter of each).

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Round two! Ding ding!

19 across, "orgy". Wild affair (orgy) made Bess' lover (Porgy and Bess) blow his top (lose first letter).

8 down, "user". Misuse really has (hidden word) junkie (user).
22 down, "doyen". Carry out (do) currency (yen) for senior member (doyen).