Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #26
Sury
Word Worker

Sury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for President
And I thought Blogger was conspiring against my blog. :P

I can open a few, but most are slow. My food blog opens fine, but the writing one is giving me trouble for nearly 12 hours now. I hope it gets sorted out soon.

Sury
Sury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #27
BlueTexas
Back from self-exile land.

BlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolnessBlueTexas leaves trails of profuse coolness
Me too. I'm having witdrawl pangs...

Blogging Again!

BlueTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
Sury
Word Worker

Sury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for PresidentSury should run for President
I can't open any of the Blogger blogs. More than 12 hours now. Anyone else having problems?

I can access my dashboard fine and even posted an entry just now, but I can't view the blog.

Sury
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #29
NightWynde
practical experience, FTW

NightWynde is on a distinguished road
It's about an hour after you posted that and I'm not having any trouble seeing mine or your writing blog (something to do with soccer and provocations?).

NightWynde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #30
Peggy

Peggy is a splendid one to beholdPeggy is a splendid one to beholdPeggy is a splendid one to behold
Sury, you are in India, right?

According to BoingBoing, the Indian government is requiring ISPs to block blogspot.com (Blogger) and typepad.com blogs.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/07/17...an_gov_bl.html
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:52 PM   #31
Simran
India girl

Simran has a spectacular auraSimran has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy
Sury, you are in India, right?

According to BoingBoing, the Indian government is requiring ISPs to block blogspot.com (Blogger) and typepad.com blogs.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/07/17...an_gov_bl.html
thanks for that article Peggy. That would really stink as alot of my blogspot (http://everythingindian.blogspot.com/) traffic comes from India - considering it's theme of course.
Simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #32
Sury
Word Worker

Thanks a lot, Peggy. I had no idea something like that was the reason I couldn't view my blog. I am kind of shocked.

Sury
Old 07-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #33
Simran
India girl

Exclamation

MORE IMPORTANT INFO (http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?to...&confid=1199):

Last edited by Simran; 07-19-2006 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 AM   #35
NicoleJLeBoeuf
a work in progress

NicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthoodNicoleJLeBoeuf is a candidate for sainthood
I keep thinking this thread says...

Wait.

[Looks up]

We've had this conversation before, haven't we? Poot. Carry on, then.

Author, occasionally published. Watch this space for more, or visit the amazing actually writing blog. (It actually writes!)
NicoleJLeBoeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:32 AM   #36
Peggy

Peggy is a splendid one to beholdPeggy is a splendid one to beholdPeggy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sury
Thanks a lot, Peggy. I had no idea something like that was the reason I couldn't view my blog. I am kind of shocked.

Sury
It seems totally ridiculous to me. I hope that the Indian government reconsiders.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #37
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_S
Using DOS Ping Tool. Type the following commands in the MS DOS window (Start->Run->Cmd->Enter):
ping blogspot.comping blogger.com

If your ISP has not restricted access to blogspot site, you should see something like this:

Pinging blogspot.blogger.com [66.102.15.101] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 66.102.15.101: bytes=32 time=333ms TTL=240Reply from 66.102.15.101: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=239Reply from 66.102.15.101: bytes=32 time=337ms TTL=239Reply from 66.102.15.101: bytes=32 time=294ms TTL=239Ping statistics for 66.102.15.101: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 294ms, Maximum = 337ms, Average = 323ms
If you are running a Mac with OSX, open the Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and type in ping blogspot.blogger.com at the prompt. Ctrl-C will cancel.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:57 AM   #38
Simran
India girl

Quote:
If you are running a Mac with OSX, open the Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and type in ping blogspot.blogger.com at the prompt. Ctrl-C will cancel.
It does? Ok I'll let that person know. thanks Peggy. sorry about that folks, but don't shoot the messenger please. LOL
Old 07-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #39
Simran
India girl

Explaination and update from SAJA.

Subject: Blog Issue in India

July 19, 2006

Reference our discussions and correspondence on the issue of blocking of blogs in India, we had taken up the matter with the authorities concerned in the Department of Telecommunications in the Government of India and the facts are as under:

A two-page write up containing extremely derogatory references to Islam and the holy prophet which had the potential to inflame religious sensitivities in India and create serious law and order problems in the country appeared in a blog facilitated by well known search engines. The matter was immediately taken note of by our CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team) and the Department of Telecommunications (DOT) was informed of it. The DOT took up the matter forthwith with the search engines and instructions were also issued to all Internet providers to block the two impertinent pages. Because of a technological error, the Internet providers went beyond what was expected of them which in turn resulted in the unfortunate blocking of all blogs.

Department of Telecommunications have now clarified the issue and the error is being rectified and it is expected that normalcy in respect of blogs will soon be restored.

A.R. Ghanashyam
Deputy Consul General
New York
Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #40
Peggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_S
A two-page write up containing extremely derogatory references to Islam and the holy prophet which had the potential to inflame religious sensitivities in India and create serious law and order problems in the country appeared in a blog facilitated by well known search engines. The matter was immediately taken note of by our CERT (Computer Emergency Response Team) and the Department of Telecommunications (DOT) was informed of it. The DOT took up the matter forthwith with the search engines and instructions were also issued to all Internet providers to block the two impertinent pages. Because of a technological error, the Internet providers went beyond what was expected of them which in turn resulted in the unfortunate blocking of all blogs.
For some reason, I don't quite buy this. It seems pretty unlikely that more than one ISP would accidentally block the entire blogspot.com and typepad.com domains when they were supposed to be only blocking two pages. I hope this announcement means that the block has been removed.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:15 PM   #41
Sury
Word Worker

Quote:
For some reason, I don't quite buy this. It seems pretty unlikely that more than one ISP would accidentally block the entire blogspot.com and typepad.com domains when they were supposed to be only blocking two pages. I hope this announcement means that the block has been removed.
I tend to agree with you. The block is still in place, but reports suggest it will be lifted in the next 48 hours.

I hope that is true. I feel handicapped.

Sury
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #42
Simran
India girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sury
I tend to agree with you. The block is still in place, but reports suggest it will be lifted in the next 48 hours.

I hope that is true. I feel handicapped.

Sury
I hope so Sury, for your sake and others who have been affected.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #43
mdin
The late, the great XThe NavigatorX

mdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Anybody else having issues this evening?

It seems various google products are dealing with rolling blackouts or something... at least on my end.

My Art
mdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #44
Simran
India girl

Blogger Status
Friday, August 25, 2006
Blogger users are experiencing slowness and occasional timeouts. We are working on diagnosing and fixing the problem.
Posted by Pal at 08:43 PDT
Old 08-25-2006, 11:47 PM   #45
Bk_30
muse..muse...come here muse!

Bk_30 is well-respected
I was just told that the service is not available at this time..so
Bk_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #46
mdin

mdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm having all sorts of problems, too.

My Art
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #47
Dawno
I Haz Most Wonderful Daughter EVAR
SuperModerator

Dawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tonight - at 12:30am PST - scheduled outage!
Dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #48
Simran
India girl

thanks Dawno
Old 11-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #49
SeanDSchaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawno
Tonight - at 12:30am PST - scheduled outage!

Thanks for the information, Dawno.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #50
mdin

Comments are down for a portion of blogger blogs.

My Art