• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Static versus dynamic protagonists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm reading a book called Characters, Emotion and Viewpoint by Nancy Kress (it's one of those writer's digest "write great fiction" books).

One thing that interested me is that the author discusses whether or not a main character will be a changer or a stayer (or something like that, can't remember her exact terminology). This sort of surprised me, because I had always heard that one of the essential requirements of story is that the protagonist must change in some way. In fact, I've seen it stated elsewhere that if there is no change in the main character there is no story. Certainly, the main character(s) change in the books I've read in in recent years.

But the author points out that the protagonist in many long-running series don't really change (look at James Bond--he's still a womanizing daredevil who likes his martinis shaken not stirred at the end of each movie, and his predictability is part of his appeal, I think). I haven't read a lot of spy thriller or mystery series. I have to say that the recurring main characters in the fantasy series I've read seem to change at least a bit in each book. So does it depend on genre?

And does anyone know of any good examples of stand alone novels with static protagonists? I'm sure I've read some, but I'm drawing a blank. Great Gatsby comes to mind, but Gatsby wasn't the pov character (and Tom did change), and of course, he suffered a severe consequence for not changing. I'm wondering if there are more conventional stories, where the pov character is the protagonist and he or she doesn't change and is alive and mostly well at the end.

And do book series where the protagonists don't change much if at all in each book tend to become boring after a while? Conversely, do series where the character has a major change with every installment begin to feel contrived after a while?

Also, one thing I've been struggling with a bit, is what really constitutes a change that is significant enough to be satisfying? Can it just be learning something new, or does it have to be some sort of major rearrangement of the protagonist's moral compass or self-perception?

LaurieBSmith

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting questions....

Could the reader's perception of imminent change be enough? Suppose a static, constant character, learns something new and potentially life changing in the last pages of a book...is that enough impetus or a strong enough vehicle for the reader to perceive change? Solves the mystery, finds out something that undermines or bolsters her beliefs? Yet, nothing much changes in the body of the work.

Frankly, I've never heard that a protagonist must change, just that they usually do...

Very interesting questions....LOL...

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is heavily genre-dependent. Also, in a series like, say, the Kinsey Millhone series, it'd be pretty weird for the protagonist to go through twenty-odd character changes.

The protagonist who changes usually has to resolve an internal conflict before they can resolve the external conflict. But it's perfectly possible to do without the internal conflict.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
It's like everything else in writing, the only 'rule' is not to bore the reader.

The classic case of character transformation is the male character in romance novels, who evolves from uncaring/damaged/commitment-phobe to honest/sincere/eager-to-bond over the course of the story. In adventure stories, the coward/timid becomes the brave hero, the bad guy gets badder, the heroine evolves from cold and distant to warm and receptive.

But no one has to change. Captain Ahab was just as nutty at the beginning of Moby Dick and he was in the final, frenzied battle with the whale. Even Ishmael didn't change in any noticeable way.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think it is heavily genre-dependent. Also, in a series like, say, the Kinsey Millhone series, it'd be pretty weird for the protagonist to go through twenty-odd character changes.

The protagonist who changes usually has to resolve an internal conflict before they can resolve the external conflict. But it's perfectly possible to do without the internal conflict.

Good points. I was wondering about that. It does seem like very long running series centered around the same protagonist throughout are more common in crime thriller and mystery genres, maybe because with those the focus is more on external events. And I know I'd be scrambling for earth shaking internal changes after a few books (like maybe her new favorite food is ... salmon instead of steak at the end of book 5, lol).

But I wonder if the focus on external conflict would be enough to sustain me for 20 books with the same character. Maybe it's just my taste. I mostly read SF and F or contemporary writers like Amy Tan and Margaret Atwood who write stand-alone books about one character or set of characters.

Although there are some famous long-running series with a single character in SF and F (like Conan), it's more usual for the protagonists to shift if there are more than a few books. The original main characters may show up in subsequent books as minor characters, and new characters are introduced as protagonists later in the series (or previously minor characters before more important). Anne McCaffrey's Dragonirider books did this, for instance.

But no one has to change. Captain Ahab was just as nutty at the beginning of Moby Dick and he was in the final, frenzied battle with the whale. Even Ishmael didn't change in any noticeable way.

Ooh, good example. Though the story ended badly for Ahab, as I recall, so you could say his refusal to change was part of the tragedy of it. Same for Great Gatsby, though in that one, the first person narrator did change. Both of these were interesting books, in that the first person narrator was not the actual plot-driving character.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about this a bit more after I posted, and it struck me that Frodo's internal conflict in LOTR is the struggle not to change. Which, of course, he loses.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
This is a really interesting question. Somewhere I remember something about the novel being focused on the individual. The novel comes into being as a form during the Renaissance, when (from what I understand) the importance of the individual began to change. So El Cid which is medieval is a very different kind of story from Don Quixote.

Myself, I always think that for a story to work the protagonist has to experience some kind of change. But I've seen books about writing refer to 'circular' stories, where the protagonist undergoes some kind of adventure but ends back in the same place s/he started. Howevs, I think that change happens in these in that even though the MC ends up 'back home' s/he has been transformed by the experience of the adventure...

I think a really striking example of characters that don't change are the MCs of mystery stories. Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple are practically change averse.

Very interesting. I think - after considering your question - that the change/growth thing that most novels feature is a bonus, but maybe not a necessity for making a story that holds one's interest.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
And does anyone know of any good examples of stand alone novels with static protagonists?

Lonesome Dove comes to mind. After dragging everyone across country and everything they suffered, Captain Call did not change. He was still the same unlikeable, rigid old rattlesnake he started out being. Everyone and everything changed, except him. Which may have been the point, but I still hated the book for that reason.

I think you will probably find unchanging characters more in literary fiction than anywhere else (except series characters like Bond).

And do book series where the protagonists don't change much if at all in each book tend to become boring after a while?

They do to me.

Also, one thing I've been struggling with a bit, is what really constitutes a change that is significant enough to be satisfying? Can it just be learning something new, or does it have to be some sort of major rearrangement of the protagonist's moral compass or self-perception?

No, it doesn't have to be a major rearrangement. The protag can simply learn something new or obtain a little wisdom.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Some good points. And as per the example of how stories changed between the medieval and renaissance periods, where individualism began to emerge, at least in European society. I'm trying to think if these themes of conflict, striving, sacrifice and transformation would be different in different cultures.

I think a lot of those circular stories, where the protagonist ends up back home, have the classic "you can never really go home again" thing in them. The character is no longer the same person, so he or she can't really be a part of what he or she just saved. Certainly Frodo in LoTR was along these lines.

I guess there is a wandering hero sort of trope, though, where the protagonist doesn't really change during the story. The drifter shows up and gets recruited (perhaps reluctantly, perhaps for a reward) to fight the baddies, then leaves at the end. Still a drifter. Kind of like Mad Max after the first movie (where he did change through the process of trying to avenge his family).

One novel that I remember (not a sci Fi or fantasy) where this issue of change was really big was the Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler (they made a movie out of it too, but I remember the book a bit better). Obviously, the protagonist (Macom, I think his name was) went through a lot of changes in that tale, as did his sister (as I recall) and his boss. I don't remember whether Muriel changed, though. Her role in the story was more to be the catalyst. I know his brothers didn't, at least not voluntarily. Ann Tyler was big on certain characters being catalysts in some of her stories, as I recall. Sometimes the protagonist was actually the catalyst (the Clock Winder was like that, I think, and don't remember if she so much changed as simply accepted her role).

Anyway, this is an interesting conversation, because there was a presentation I went to on outlining a novel where you ask yourself nine questions about your protagonist, and one of them was "how does he/she change during the course of the book?" and another was "What does he or she sacrifice?" The presenter (a published novelist) seemed to feel both change and sacrifice were necessary. He may have been the person who I first heard saying, "No change, no story," but I'm pretty sure I ran across the same saying in an agent's blog too (a major reason the agent said she would turn down otherwise promising novels is if the protagonist did not undergo a meaningful change by the end of the book).

Funny how these writing rules are so full of exceptions.

Last edited:

njmagas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
njmagas.wordpress.com
If I remember correctly, Flora Poste in Cold Comfort Farm is a fairly static character (although I don't have the book on hand, so please correct me if I'm wrong). She changes everyone else in the book, but she's the same woman at the end as at the beginning.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
very few characters really change

Look at any detective series, from Sherlock Holmes to Nero Wolfe to Spenser. No change. Ditto for most spy or adventure series.

Only in literary works does the character really seem to change. Perhaps some fantasy novels (from farm boy to king . . )

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's good for your protagonist to change, but not necessary. Also, the changes don't have to be drastic. I let the changes flow from what happens in the story rather than forcing a change just because writing rules say you're supposed to have one.

Like others have said, you'll find little change in a lot of detective stories. The same might be said for some mystery-type urban fantasy series. For instance, I don't notice a whole lot of change to Harry Dresden through book four of The Dresden Files. There probably is some subtle change I missed, though.

I have noticed some changes to characters in long-running fantasy series. For example, by the later books of The Wheel of Time, Rand al'Thor has changed a lot and no longer resembles the farm boy he was at the start. Some of the author characters have changed a whole lot less, though.

The most important thing is telling a good story. If you're writing a plot-driven story, character change is a plus, but not an absolute necessity. If your story is character driven, though, there should be some change, however subtle.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Only in literary works does the character really seem to change. Perhaps some fantasy novels (from farm boy to king . . )

Most of the fantasy novels I can think of, from LoTR to His Dark Materials to Neverwhere to Brandon Sanderson's stuff have character transformations as pretty central, unless they're one of those long running sword and sorcery series, perhaps, like Conan. I think the classic hero's journey (a common trope in traditional fantasy, whether the journey be physical or metaphoric) requires a transformation of some kind, usully in order to solve the problem facing the protagonist. Urban and contemporary fantasy may be different, at least when there's more of a focus on longer series with the same protagonist.

The writer who said "no transformation, no story" during his outlining presentation was a fantasy writer. I can think of character changes in romance and in contemporary fiction (I'm not always clear whether writers like Amy Tan, Anne Tyler and Margaret Atwood count as literary or not).

I'd guess that detective fiction is more focused on the process or the external events than on the character's internal barriers to success, though I guess this can vary too. There may be some comfort or amusement people who read long standing series derive from having the character be relative static (ten books in, such and such a character is still a hard-headed womanizer with a drinking problem--having such a character join AA and fall in love might be a deal breaker).

Lots of food for thought here. Thanks everyone for chiming in :)

Last edited:

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
In Dramatica theory they use the terms change vs. steadfast. Steadfast, I think, is a better term than static. Because it's not supposed to be that these characters don't change the slightest bit. Instead it's that the opponents and difficulties of the story pressure them to change, and they may waver and come close to breaking, but then they find their resolve and end up being more strongly "themself" than ever.

Pking

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say most stories are about MC struggling against some opposition, and in order to succeed he/she has to change and become stronger. If MC is given an opportunity to change and fail to do so, we have a tragedy (the movie "the wrestler" comes to mind).

Another story that comes to mind is "The Aviator" where the protagonist is (spoilers) obsessive about achieving perfection which drives him to great heights. In the end he does not change. What makes the story interesting is seeing the protagonist with some particular character traits and where it leads him (to great success or failure). My guess is that it takes some interesting character traits to make such a story work.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
A character doesn't have to change for a book to be successful. Look at all those series books from the past, Sweet Valley Twins, Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, Hardy Boys, Famous Five, etc etc. There were dozens if not hundreds of books in these series and the MCs managed to stay so completely stagnant that you could literally read most of the books completely out of order and not miss a thing!

I think character growth is a great thing personally, but it's not necessary for all genres.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A character doesn't have to change for a book to be successful. Look at all those series books from the past, Sweet Valley Twins, Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, Hardy Boys, Famous Five, etc etc. There were dozens if not hundreds of books in these series and the MCs managed to stay so completely stagnant that you could literally read most of the books completely out of order and not miss a thing!

I think character growth is a great thing personally, but it's not necessary for all genres.

Interesting point, and again, that's probably a conscious decision for those long series. It would never occur to me to read a series out of order. There have been a few times I've picked up a book (mistakenly thinking it's the first one) only to discover a little way in it isn't. If I can't find the book(s) that precede it, I get ticked. But if a series consists of a ton of books, some of which may even be out of print, it makes sense to want them to be completely interchangeable. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Characters should learn from what they go through, but the notion that a character has to change is simply nonsense. Real people do not change who and what they are just because they have crisis or an adventure. Neither should characters.

There's nothing wrong with having a character change, if you're writing a character where change makes the story, but God spare me from writers who think a character must change. This means your character is probably one I;m not going to like until after he changes, and I want to like him right from the start.

Characters should be real people.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Lonesome Dove comes to mind. After dragging everyone across country and everything they suffered, Captain Call did not change. He was still the same unlikeable, rigid old rattlesnake he started out being. Everyone and everything changed, except him. Which may have been the point, but I still hated the book for that reason.

Call unlikable? He made book, and the movie. I didn't see anyone change much in the book, or in the movie, and it would have completely ruined the book if Call had changed. He was the most realistic, and the most likable, character in the book, and the reason so many looked it, and the reason it won the Pulitzer.

Why, when you have a completely realistic character, when you have a man who has seen and done all Call has, when he's a good man, would you want him to change?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say most stories are about MC struggling against some opposition, and in order to succeed he/she has to change and become stronger. If MC is given an opportunity to change and fail to do so, we have a tragedy (the movie "the wrestler" comes to mind).

Another story that comes to mind is "The Aviator" where the protagonist is (spoilers) obsessive about achieving perfection which drives him to great heights. In the end he does not change. What makes the story interesting is seeing the protagonist with some particular character traits and where it leads him (to great success or failure). My guess is that it takes some interesting character traits to make such a story work.

So this made me think a bit and at first I concluded that the character did change because he ended up worse off than before - sometimes that is the change the character undergoes. And then I thought about two things - first, the character above is undone by his own characteristics - he doesn't change or perhaps he can't change, and if that is the case he is a tragic figure. If I remember about tragedy, what makes a story a tragedy is that there's nothing the hero can do to avert his fate. So that's another kind of static character. The other thing I was thinking is that in this discussion, are we using 'change' when what we are really meaning is 'growth'?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
That question of growth equaling change is interesting. Harry Potter grew up. Because he's a character in work for children, he would eventually outgrow his audience. This means the series has to end. There has already been some talk about the later books being to adult for the middle grade youngsters just discovering the series today.

The kids in the Magic Tree House books and the Sweet Valley High books never grow up. These series can last forever in part because the characters don't change. (In SVH relationships did change, if I recall, in terms of how the dating couples were doing.)

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen is a book where one can argue whether or not change has occurred.

Urnathok

Boojum Tamer
Registered
Reaction score
Both can be useful, and which is better depends wholly on the focus of the writing. Think of the protagonist as a variable; if an author wants the protagonist's development a significant contributor to the progression of the story (and therefore something the readers will spend time thinking about), the protagonist becomes dynamic.

As much as I couldn't stand Silas Marner, it's a prime example. The titular character's change of heart is the axis on which the rest of the book turns. If Silas didn't change, he would have given the baby away and died alone on a pile of money in his house, and we wouldn't be talking about it because that is the most depressing thing I have written all day.

The reverse of this is in Book of the New Sun. While people could (and have) written tomes of commentary on the main character Severian, he himself is relatively static. This allows the protagonist variable to become a constant variable by the author, which in turn lets the author turn the audience's attention to another focus -- in New Sun's case, the sprawling world, undercurrent plots, and side characters Wolfe constructed.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I think in long-running series, the character often changes in ways that are small, but important to the character. They aren't necessarily important to the plot, though. These small changes can give an impression of realism.

Some don't. Jack Reacher changes--I'm tempted to say "not at all," but there are probably some tiny changes. Eve Dallas does change, though; she comes to terms with her past and her present, gradually through the series.

And my theory about Sherlock Holmes and the Star Trek characters is that the careless writing of Doyle and the multiple writers of Trek made the characters seem more alive because of their inconsistencies. They don't change--but they're not the same, either. Like real people, who are constantly surprising you.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com

I don't think the type of change is as important as how interesting the writer conveys the change. The more interesting I find something, the more satisfied I am with the experience.

If a writer could make her mc's burgeoning morality or redefined self-perception interesting, I'd be a happy camper. Those changes don't have to be major, or life-altering. They just have to be interesting (and plausible within the context of the story, of course). Having said that, I imagine it would take finesse on the part of the writer to make subtle changes within a character memorable and, taken in sum, significant. But, done well, I'm betting that would make for a very satisfying read.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.