Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > General Publishing Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
impossiblewords
Nice work, bone daddy

impossiblewords is on a distinguished road
How many rejections did you get before you were published?

After years (literally, years) of working on one particular project, I have finally finished editing and begun querying/submitting. I definitely know to anticipate a wave of rejections, but I'm curious to hear from published authors who got published by sending unsolicited queries and manuscripts--how many times were you rejected before a publisher showed interest?

Extreme writing challenge blog

Goodreads

WIP: Finding Princeton, contemporary fiction - 12.88% complete
impossiblewords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
writerreader
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

writerreader is on a distinguished road
I am a newbie writer and got about five or six rejections before getting a contract offer from a small digital publisher.
writerreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was 26 years ago and it was a non-fiction book. I was lucky and got snagged after about 11 submissions (my old paper records indicate). If it had been a novel, it would have taken an endless amount of subs or probably not picked up at all. The first novel, eight years ago, was about 35 or 40 subs without an agent. It might have been a little more. Digital records are gone on that one.
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Many many many dozens, hundreds even. For manuscripts submitted through the standard "process", the meter is still running.

But it's running low, as I don't submit much anymore, there being no obvious reason to do so.

caw
Old 05-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Literateparakeet
Nerdy Budgie

Literateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolness
I just started the process of sending out query letters (or the full non-fiction proposal depending on the agent's preference.) I got my first rejection in less than 24 hours. I think that must be some sort of record! LOL!

Good luck to you!

Website/Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Touching His Robe: available in August
Literateparakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I started writing at the age of forty-eight (fifty-one now) and got rejected by the mainstream book publishers a lot. Then my sister suggested e-books--you gotta start somewhere--and I got an acceptance within three months. Yes, I was very lucky.

Now, I do mainly e-books...but I'm still querying agents for the traditional paperback route. And I'm still writing and learning. All in all, it's been a pretty cool ride...and it ain't over yet!
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
Pushingfordream
Writing about life!

Pushingfordream is well-respected
I just wanted to comment that this post is pretty cool. I like to here stories of other writers. Thanks

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -Benjamin Franklin
Pushingfordream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
impossiblewords
Nice work, bone daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literateparakeet View Post
I got my first rejection in less than 24 hours. I think that must be some sort of record!
So I'm not the only one?!

True story: the publisher that rejected me in less than 24 hours said they really liked the premise of the work I submitted, but that they have a terrible track record of promoting their materials and that they were basically a waste of time for prospective authors. Wow... I guess I should be prepared to see some interesting responses as time goes on...

Goodreads

Old 05-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Between two novels, including the rejecting agents and editors, I'd say right around 100. I remember I stopped counting at 76.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
impossiblewords
Nice work, bone daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
Between two novels, including the rejecting agents and editors, I'd say right around 100. I remember I stopped counting at 76.
*Jaw drop*

Goodreads

Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by impossiblewords View Post
*Jaw drop*
Yep. Most of those were with the first book, now safely trunked away with all the training wheel marks all over it. But, it's been worth it. This past year and half, I've ticked many dream-come-true boxes.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
I stopped counting the rejections years ago. I try to concentrate on the acceptance letters. They are fewer in number, but much nicer to think about.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Oh wait. Probably a dozen or so of that hundred were a short story I tried to peddle to no avail as well.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
Perks, you are living every writer's dream.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady MacBeth View Post
Perks, you are living every writer's dream.
Except for this Barnes & Noble thing, yeah, it's been awesome.

Impossiblewords, I guess what to take away is that there is a chance that even with years of work behind you, there could be some good few rejections ahead. There might not be. You just have to find any way you can to be okay with the rejections.

It took me eight years. (Well, eleven with a three year hiatus in there.) I hope it doesn't take that long for you, but I would say that I still had a wonderful time in those years, peppered with about 100 rejections.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
impossiblewords
Nice work, bone daddy

Quote:
Except for this Barnes & Noble thing, yeah, it's been awesome.

Impossiblewords, I guess what to take away is that there is a chance that even with years of work behind you, there could be some good few rejections ahead. There might not be. You just have to find any way you can to be okay with the rejections.

It took me eight years. (Well, eleven with a three year hiatus in there.) I hope it doesn't take that long for you, but I would say that I still had a wonderful time in those years, peppered with about 100 rejections.
You know, I'm going to enjoy writing whether the responses are rejections or acceptance letters. All in all, any response I get is just proof that I at least gave it a shot.

Goodreads

Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by impossiblewords View Post
You know, I'm going to enjoy writing whether the responses are rejections or acceptance letters. All in all, any response I get is just proof that I at least gave it a shot.
Ya, those who dare sometimes take the fair. You have to give it a shot just so know you've been there and tried. Nothing to lose, but quite a bit to gain if it works out.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
lorna_w
grump

lorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
considering your current success, this is actually a wonderful story (and I bet you didn't think so at the time!)

New novel 85,000/85,000.

I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o'clock every morning. - Peter de Vries
lorna_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Trying for agents, with previous books, quite a lot. (I did publish several with small presses). I even got one rejection ..er..I think it was a year after the book came out.

The book that got my agent, none. Got an offer from the first agent I queried.

Thing is, it's going to vary wildly, depending on your writing and WHAT you're writing. The previous books I got a lot of 'Nice writing, but not what we're looking for'. This book was exactly what my agent was looking for* (and ultimately what my publisher was looking for too)

*which is why I subbed to him first, as he'd spoken about wanting exactly this kind of thing.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My number was zero. First three short stories and my first novel all sold first time out. But this means nothing. Some of my favorite writers were rejected hundreds of times before selling anything. William Saroyan received more than four thousand rejections before selling a single short story.

Selling si selling, regardless of how many rejections precede the sale.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I sold the second short story I submitted to a magazine, though I'd had earlier ones unplaced in the competitions I submitted them to.

That said, twenty-two and a half years after that first sale, and forty-one separate stories sold at least once, I have at least as many rejections as acceptances.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 25,488 words and counting
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
triceretops
Super Browser

Perks and Mr. Fibble. Really happy for your success and determination. Your are two examples, among many in here, that have grasp the brass ring and soldiered on (should have meant the "golden" ticket). Two fabulous hits in a sea slush and turmoil.

tri
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
kelliewallace

kelliewallace is on a distinguished road
My crime novel took nearly a year. My agent at the time had trouble selling it so I wondered if it was me. Almost gave up on it. I'm thinking I got about 30 odd rejections. It was finally contracted by my publisher.
To lean on falling men - Soul Mate Publishing 2014
http://kelliewallacebooks.wordpress.com
kelliewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got rejected countless times for my first book. Then a year later, (after an editor encouraged me to do so) I revised and when I submitted the second time, I had a few offers right away. The second one was published by the same publisher.

The third one I got an agent for after 30 or so rejections only one agent was interested then offered. And even though we parted ways, she referred me to a publisher that later on accepted.

My fourth about a handful of rejections, then I got an agent who was crap, so I fired her and did it on my own. I was very selective when I submitted and the process itself dragged on for two years total, but got an awesome publisher for that one too.

My fifth novel is a pimple on my ass that won't pop. I've drowned out probably every agent out there in the world that accepts that genre have gotten a lot of interest, but no go. I've also submitted to about 40 or so publishers and have gotten really really close, 5 different revisions in total and the thing still hasn't popped with anyone yet. But it would break my heart and then some if I decide to trunk it.

Working on a sixth novel and hope things will be easier...but I have a feeling they won't.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
girlyswot

girlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for Presidentgirlyswot should run for President
Two. I submitted two books to Mills and Boon (Harlequin) which were both rejected and at the time, there wasn't really anywhere else taking that sort of book. So I self-published them.

Then I submitted a third book to M&B and also to Entangled, who were a new company interested in category romance. Entangled offered me a contract, so I withdrew the sub from M&B. I'm on my fourth book with Entangled and about to send in my next proposal to my editor there.

My books
My FB page
My website
girlyswot is offline   Reply With Quote