Perfect eBook store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What would be your perfect eBook web store? what services would it have? how would it improve on what's already out there? What do you dislike about what's already out there?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you ask, Write? Are you planning on opening your own e-book store? Because if so, you need permission from AW's owner before you can start asking questions like this.

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Why do you ask, Write? Are you planning on opening your own e-book store? Because if so, you need permission from AW's owner before you can start asking questions like this.

I'm not here to advertise anything, I'm just curious as to what kind of services/facilities authors would want in an eBook store.

And you're saying you need "permission" to ask that kind of question??

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The perfect ebook store would be an ebook store that tells the world my book is the most awesome-sauce novel the world has ever seen.

Does it matter who tells the world? does the quality of who is sending out the msg matter? or merely numbers? the amount of people that are talking about it?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not here to advertise anything, I'm just curious as to what kind of services/facilities authors would want in an eBook store.

Why are you asking?

And you're saying you need "permission" to ask that kind of question??

No, I'm not.

Please re-read my comment. I'll make it easier for you and quote it here:

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Why are you asking?

No, I'm not.

Please re-read my comment. I'll make it easier for you and quote it here:

Maybe I'm misunderstood the kind of site I'm on. I thought this was a forum where you can ask questions about writing, publishing, ebooks etc? I've already said I'm not here to advertise anything, I'm merely here to find out views from authors, so I ask again, is this allowed on this forum, yes or no?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It might help us give you better answers if we knew why you were asking the questions. Are you thinking of starting up an ebook store and want to know what peoples' experiences with them are, so you can fix the problems people face at the moment. Or, have you had bad experiences and want to know if others have had ones similar to yours? If it's the latter, maybe tell us your bad experiences or problems you've faced with ebook stores. It would start a better conversation perhaps.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
They should have all the books, and they should be easy to buy from.

But I kind of already have that in spades with Amazon, Diesel, Barnes & Noble and Omnilit.

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It might help us give you better answers if we knew why you were asking the questions. Are you thinking of starting up an ebook store and want to know what peoples' experiences with them are, so you can fix the problems people face at the moment. Or, have you had bad experiences and want to know if others have had ones similar to yours? If it's the latter, maybe tell us your bad experiences or problems you've faced with ebook stores. It would start a better conversation perhaps.

Ha :), I must admit I'm perplexed as to why I'm being asked why I'm asking questions it's all very odd :), if someone asks you for the time, do you reply "Why you wanna know?".

Is what I'm asking against the forum rules? if it is, then please feel free to delete this thread.

As I previously stated I'm here to ask authors opinions about ebooks stores, that's it.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm inclined to guardedly allow the line of questioning, at least for the time being.

Write, no one is trying to give you static. But do understand that we're protective of the community, and we have a really remarkable number of people who think it's appropriate to sign up for the purposes of exploiting the community here for marketing or market research purposes -- and that's boring and sucks all the air out of conversation. As long as that's not the direction you're going, we should be fine.

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm inclined to guardedly allow the line of questioning, at least for the time being.

Write, no one is trying to give you static. But do understand that we're protective of the community, and we have a really remarkable number of people who think it's appropriate to sign up for the purposes of exploiting the community here for marketing or market research purposes -- and that's boring and sucks all the air out of conversation. As long as that's not the direction you're going, we should be fine.

I'm not here to advertise anything or anyone. I'm curious what's everyones opinions/experiences on ebook stores, which I would of thought right now with the industry as it is, is a very pertinent discussion/debate to have. But like I said if that's against your rules, that's cool, delete the thread.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm curious as to why you've flatly evaded a direct question a number of times, now: Are you planning to open an e-book store?

Write

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you've flatly evaded a direct question a number of times, now: Are you planning to open an e-book store?

This is all a bit weird, perhaps the mod's on here are acting this way because umm..you get people spamming ads or something? or perhaps you are afraid of possible competitors because the admins of this site want to set up a ebook store?

either way, I don't see what that has to do with a free and open debate about the merits of ebook stores, what's good/bad about them, what could be better who knows.

As to your repeated irrelevant question, I have no idea, should I? is it a good idea to set up an ebook store? I guess that's part of my question as well.

Anyway this is getting all very weird, the mods on here obviously don't want this discussion, so that's cool, it's your forum you can run it how you want :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It might help us give you better answers if we knew why you were asking the questions. Are you thinking of starting up an ebook store and want to know what peoples' experiences with them are, so you can fix the problems people face at the moment. Or, have you had bad experiences and want to know if others have had ones similar to yours? If it's the latter, maybe tell us your bad experiences or problems you've faced with ebook stores. It would start a better conversation perhaps. [/QUOTE]

(I bolded a portion of my above post in the quote)
Ha :), I must admit I'm perplexed as to why I'm being asked why I'm asking questions it's all very odd :), if someone asks you for the time, do you reply "Why you wanna know?".

Is what I'm asking against the forum rules? if it is, then please feel free to delete this thread.

As I previously stated I'm here to ask authors opinions about ebooks stores, that's it.
I was merely saying that if you explained why you were asking the question it would get the conversation going more easily. Be conversational, add something to get the dialogue started, rather than just a series of questions. Your own personal experience with it, for example. Others then could jump in and say, 'why yes, I've had experiences like that, and I'd also suggest this way in which the serives offered could be improved.'

I wasn't saying you shouldn't or couldn't ask those questions. I was trying to help you in starting the conversation to make it easier for others to join in.

I'm not here to advertise anything or anyone. I'm curious what's everyones opinions/experiences on ebook stores, which I would of thought right now with the industry as it is, is a very pertinent discussion/debate to have. But like I said if that's against your rules, that's cool, delete the thread.
MacAllister is the owner of the boards, and what Mac says goes. And you have a go, Write, say thanks, I understand what you said, and let's start up the conversation.

Unfortunately, I've never bought an ebook, so I can't really add to it all that much. But I guess I'd like all the books I like on the store, in easy to search categories, genres/authors etc. Plus, maybe, recommendations of similar books. I'd also like the books to be cheap. I still don't get why ebooks cost the same as print book. I've even seen ebooks that were more expensive. It makes no sense to me at all.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This is all a bit weird, perhaps the mod's on here are acting this way because umm..you get people spamming ads or something? or perhaps you are afraid of possible competitors because the admins of this site want to set up a ebook store?

either way, I don't see what that has to do with a free and open debate about the merits of ebook stores, what's good/bad about them, what could be better who knows.

As to your repeated irrelevant question, I have no idea, should I? is it a good idea to set up an ebook store? I guess that's part of my question as well.

Anyway this is getting all very weird, the mods on here obviously don't want this discussion, so that's cool, it's your forum you can run it how you want :)

Not that weird. I already told you an astonishing number of people sign up to attempt to spam the living crap out of us, and it makes us protective.

Especially when someone comes in with a question like this -- we see it all the time from fly-by-night, start-up, wanna-bes. It's tiring. It's rhetorically dishonest, and that's not good for the conversation OR the community, because at heart, it's exploitive and not honest participation or engagement.

So with that, since in spite of the level and courteous responses you've already collected, you've chosen to get defensive and snotty instead of just engaging with what people were asking you, we're all done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.