C.S. Forester - Hornblower

PhantomMedic

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone here that has read and enjoyed the Horatio Hornblower books by CS Forester?

I first got into them when A&E had their miniseries based on the books and quickly found that the books were magnificent.

I suppose that it helps that I was always into the "Tall Ship" era, be it pirates or the Royal Navy. The Napoleonic wars were also an interest of mine and these brought together some of my favorite subjects. I guess it was impossible not to like them.

If I had to pick one as my favorite, I would have to choose Hornblower and the Hotspur. I love how it is about Hornblower pretty much cutting his teeth as "Captain" of a ship. He learns lessons from his mistakes and is not afraid to be a man of action, risking his ship and his life.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lllllooooooove those books. I'm only about halfway through the series. I'm trying to make it last :) He is a great character and the author is always trying to break him. My favorite is Mr. Midshipman Hornblower, especially when he is trying to bring in the leaking ship full of rice :D I don't like military fiction but I like all the sailing stuff. I haven't seen the show yet but I want to.

PhantomMedic

Registered
Reaction score
I have not read the books but like you, saw the miniseries and enjoyed them.

Looks like I'll have to investigate the books now.

You will definitely enjoy the books if you enjoyed the TV series. The books are, of course, much better. There really isn't a bad one in the bunch. It is a shame that the last one that Forester was working on was left incomplete due to his death. It was shaping up to be an awesome novel.

I would suggest reading them in order of Hornblower's career rather than the order in which they were written.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes- I read them all in paperback many years ago- enjoyed them enormously.

Read them in the order of Hornblower's progression up through the ranks...magnificent stuff. You can taste the salt in the air, feel the wind in your hair and sense the increasing tension when action looms.

Masterly writing.

Last edited: