Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else read it yet?

I'm halfway through, savoring it. I'm one of the many who longed to find out what happened to Danny, Wendy, and Dick Hallorann.

I'm glad it's Danny's story.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I'm ambivalent. I didn't hate it certainly, but felt unsatisfied.

I liked the Danny parts. I really thought it was a good, logical continuation of his life, how I sort of expected him to end up, etc.

However, I thought the True Knot would have been better served as the center of a novel. I don't feel like enough attention was paid to them, and they were (or had the potential to be) very interesting.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm about a quarter of the way through it. I blazed through that much the day I bought it, and then had effed up dreams all that night so I haven't been able to bring myself to read the rest of it. What a wuss I am.

The Shining is one of my Top Ten favorite books, so I'm determined to overcome the wussiness and finish Doctor Sleep.

just not tonight ;)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it. Tried to make myself take it slow and couldn't, tore through it.
:D

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Ginger, I don't think I found the True Knot quite interesting enough to be at the center of their own novel, but agree that I would have liked to see more exploration. IMO the book could have been a hundred or more pages longer and I would not have complained.

King has released a couple of clunkers lately (ugh Under the Dome), but I couldn't have been happier with this one. Except for the aforementioned extra one hundred pages, and I wanted to find out what happened with the murdered kid's family.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
The True Knot and the Shiners are all one in the same, aren't they? I mean one drinks the Kool-aid and the other doesn't, right? That's the only difference I see.

I loved it. I thought it was one of the best King's done in about forever. I always find much to love about his novels; much to unlove. This one I loved.

eta: re The Dome. I thought it was a wonderful novel with an exceedingly crappy ending. One of the problems with pantsing, as I well know. Sleep didn't have the crappy ending problem. Thus my "one of the best" comment.

eta: yet once again I have to add an issue. What's with the hat? here's a group trying to blend in. Not attract attention. Avoid stares. You make pains to tell us that. And yet you've got your group leader lady wearing a freaking top hat at a jaunty angle? WTF's up with that?

But that's my only issue.

Last edited:

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, Haggis, we should talk. My favorites of King's recently, besides this one, are Duma Key and Lisey's Story. I know most people dislike the latter, but I love it. I thought it was almost... Tender, is the only word I can think of. But then again, I am not much the horror junkie. I thought Lisey was his best developed character in a long time.

Under the Dome irritated me with its cartoonish, mustache-twirling villains, and also with its clear political agenda. Unless dealing with satire, I hate politics infecting my fiction. It takes me out of the narrative. I could give two shits whether it is my side or yours, it is amateurish and unprofessional and I feel disrespected as a reader when it happens. I do not turn to novels for lectures. Also, the protagonists were unmemorable. This one reminded me of The Tommyknockers, and not in a good way.

But yeah, I loved the shit out of Doctor Sleep. I adored the spunky young heroine. To mingle threads, she actually reminded me of... A rape survivor, almost. Because she was so violated, and it wasn't her choice, and she was targeted by evil people with power.

But yes. Loved. It. For. The. Win.

Last edited:

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ginger, I don't think I found the True Knot quite interesting enough to be at the center of their own novel, but agree that I would have liked to see more exploration. IMO the book could have been a hundred or more pages longer and I would not have complained.

King has released a couple of clunkers lately (ugh Under the Dome), but I couldn't have been happier with this one. Except for the aforementioned extra one hundred pages, and I wanted to find out what happened with the murdered kid's family.

I think a couple hundred pages may be what it needed. It isn't as though King is known for his brevity!

Under the Dome is, in my eye, a poorly done rewrite of The Tommyknockers. Oh, I read the whole thing. But it bewildered me. And for King to all of a sudden be talking about iPods and stuff? Wow, that was weird.

(I blogged about this recently, after finishing Doctor Sleep, because all of King's "post accident" books have been unsatisfying to me in a pretty specific/nonspecific way)

The True Knot and the Shiners are all one in the same, aren't they? I mean one drinks the Kool-aid and the other doesn't, right? That's the only difference I see.

I loved it. I thought it was one of the best King's done in about forever. I always find much to love about his novels; much to unlove. This one I loved.

eta: re The Dome. I thought it was a wonderful novel with an exceedingly crappy ending. One of the problems with pantsing, as I well know. Sleep didn't have the crappy ending problem. Thus my "one of the best" comment.

eta: yet once again I have to add an issue. What's with the hat? here's a group trying to blend in. Not attract attention. Avoid stares. You make pains to tell us that. And yet you've got your group leader lady wearing a freaking top hat at a jaunty angle? WTF's up with that?

But that's my only issue.

I think it's the "culture difference" I found so interesting with the True Knot? They've got all that history, but we only scratch the surface of their need for "steam" and their hatred for "rubes". I kind of feel like that wasn't enough, and didn't do them justice (even as "bad guys", but yeah, two sides of the same coin).

But yes. THE HAT™ It's a Magic Hat™ On a Beautiful Woman™

Even for my complaining about it, I like Doctor Sleep the best of his recent novels, I'd say. That and Lisey's Story. I don't remember talking to that one like I was a 1940's moviegoer: "What are you doing now?!"

(I didn't used to be that way, I swear)

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The top hat.

I'm an SK fan of every stand-alone novel since Carrie. I also rate some better than others, but that's like rating mornings when hunting or fishing--they're all better than anything else, so what's the purpose? :D

I prize the oddity in SK's works, like the intentional flaw woven into rugs to guard against godlike perfection. The top hat is a goody. Haggis nailed how it draws attention to the very woman who takes pains to be low profile.

Then Dan mentions his teenage crush on Stevie Nicks, but not a word (so far) about the top hat that was the Fleetwood Mac singer's trademark, so I'm waiting to see where this coincidence goes.
u3ot.jpg

Intentional? A product of the writer's subconscious? If the latter, I'm thinking Nan Graham is too good an editor to let it pass. or maybe it's just me wearing a foil hat.:foilhat:

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I mostly agree with Chase and with the top half of Ginger's post. I am not a huge SK fan - other than this beauty and The Shining, I am only really a huge fan of his books about the dangers of the creative unconscious, those like Lisey's Story and Duma Key. But god damn, does that man have talent. Who can make RV people creepy? Do you guys know any RV people? They are like, the least scary thing ever.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The top hat.

I'm an SK fan of every stand-alone novel since Carrie. I also rate some better than others, but that's like rating mornings when hunting or fishing--they're all better than anything else, so what's the purpose? :D

I prize the oddity in SK's works, like the intentional flaw woven into rugs to guard against godlike perfection. The top hat is a goody. Haggis nailed how it draws attention to the very woman who takes pains to be low profile.

Then Dan mentions his teenage crush on Stevie Nicks, but not a word (so far) about the top hat that was the Fleetwood Mac singer's trademark, so I'm waiting to see where this coincidence goes.
u3ot.jpg

Intentional? A product of the writer's subconscious? If the latter, I'm thinking Nan Graham is too good an editor to let it pass. or maybe it's just me wearing a foil hat.:foilhat:

He may have just put it in and either figured people would get the reference or not. Which is cool :D

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Finished it yesterday. Liked it quite a lot. I didn't much care to know more about the True Knot to be honest. But I do wonder if we'll see another book coming out of this. Not Dan - I think his story had a pretty good conclusion - but Abra. We've still got some of the Knot cruising around out there. So who knows.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Doctor Sleep, and it ended too soon, because I savored the story. It's worth rereading right away--the highest of praises.

The allusion to imperfections woven into Persian rugs got a workout. Just one example is SK's infamous aversion to getting firearms right:

Billy was a WWII combat marine and would know a "One-nine-one-one Colt" which was "Full auto" would be a broken Model 1911 handgun.

Glock doesn't make a pistol that will shoot a .22, but there is a Model 22 Glock that shoots a .40 Smith & Wesson. :Shrug:

But then, who expects reality in over-the-top unreal horror? Certainly not me, and I await SK's next, harboring hope it's at least half as good as Doctor Sleep.

Last edited:

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
I was disappointed with this book. I don't know why exactly but it just failed to grab me and I had to give up two-thirds of the way in.

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Doctor Sleep, and it ended too soon, because I savored the story. It's worth rereading right away--the highest of praises.

The allusion to imperfections woven into Persian rugs got a workout. Just one example is SK's infamous aversion to getting firearms right:

Billy was a WWII combat marine and would know a "One-nine-one-one Colt" which was "Full auto" would be a broken Model 1911 handgun.

Glock doesn't make a pistol that will shoot a .22, but there is a Model 22 Glock that shoots a .40 Smith & Wesson. :Shrug:

But then, who expects reality in over-the-top unreal horror? Certainly not me, and I await SK's next, harboring hope it's at least half as good as Doctor Sleep.

Stephen King's stories are set in a parallel universe that is exactly like ours, except when he makes a factual error. :tongue

Suzanna Owen

Registered
Reaction score
I liked it - read it in two days, while on vacation, and it kept me engaged.

I'm currently reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2. He's SK's son, and this book is attached to Dr. Sleep - it's about one of the minor characters. Pretty entertaining, and you can tell he's SK's son. Has anyone else read this?

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I liked it - read it in two days, while on vacation, and it kept me engaged.

I'm currently reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2. He's SK's son, and this book is attached to Dr. Sleep - it's about one of the minor characters. Pretty entertaining, and you can tell he's SK's son. Has anyone else read this?

I tried and couldn't really get into it (I didn't like the character focus swap so early, from the girl to the santa stuff), though I've felt like I should try again. I knew Joe Hill was Stephen Kings son (I loved Heart Shaped Box) but did not know NOS4A2 had one of the Doctor Sleep characters in it. Interesting!

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it!! I haven't read Dumas or Liseys story, so I need to check them out.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Doctor Sleep. I loved the beginning, all the way until about the middle, when I began to realize that things were going along just a little too easily.

SPOILER ALERT:

Maybe it's just me, but Rose The Hat and her clan never seemed formidable enough. I never really felt Abra and Danny were in any real danger. Being finished off that easily just made the entire True Knot clan seem like bumbling idiots.

END SPOILER

I've read better from King. Not my favorite of his. Hopefully, this started him on a sequel train and we'll get IT the sequel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.travis-lee.org
I'll echo what else has been said and say that I loved it up until the middle, I believe around the point where the True Knot starts dying from measels. I know it's supposed to add some urgency to their need for Abra's steam, but like the poster above me, it doesn't work because I never felt like she was in any real danger.

The idea of the lockbox for the lingering shades and Danny's rock bottom moment were some highlights from the opening chapters. Too bad the rest of the book doesn't live up to the promise of those excellent opening chapters.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll echo what else has been said and say that I loved it up until the middle, I believe around the point where the True Knot starts dying from measels. I know it's supposed to add some urgency to their need for Abra's steam, but like the poster above me, it doesn't work because I never felt like she was in any real danger.

The idea of the lockbox for the lingering shades and Danny's rock bottom moment were some highlights from the opening chapters. Too bad the rest of the book doesn't live up to the promise of those excellent opening chapters.

Yes, I think these are accurate and appropriate assessments, and I do agree. The things which were supposed to be tension filled were not, not really. There was just this pervasive feeling, to me, of "Nah, they'll be fine."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Loved it. I think it's the best novel king has written in a few years, and that's saying something because I don't think he's written anything bad for ten years.

Penguin_Factory

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I didn't care much for this.

First off, the conceit that this is a sequel to The Shining never really worked for me, because the True Knot stuff really felt like something from a completely different novel that King smashed onto a Shining sequel. And I was dismayed to find that adult Danny Torrence is yet another of Stephen King's drunk/jacked up on drugs male protagonists. Seriously, dude. Just stop already. We get it.

The True Knot were an interesting idea that didn't pan out in execution, because we just saw too much of them. When we're reading about their struggles to survive and the quirky nicknames they give each other they quickly lose all sense of menace.

The last big flaw was Abra. King continues to insist on writing about children even though he's terrible at it. I can almost picture him writing that character thinking, "what should Abra do now? How about if she cries? Little girls cry all the time write? Yeah that works."

Status
Not open for further replies.