The Return of the Beta Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Once, long ago, Katiemac ran The Great Beta Reader Challenge, which introduced me to the world of betaing. I beta read 2 books from the challenge and received 3 or 4 betas myself. Two years later, she ran The Beta Project, which was a little more tailored towards giving us NaNo writers a kick in the pants to edit our November novels. It's been 5 years since the last Beta Project, but I think back on those challenges fondly any time I'm searching for betas or see someone post on AW looking for betas.

So what is the Beta Project? The beta project is an attempt to pair AW members to the best beta reader for their novels. And if you don't know what a beta is, then this is the thread for you. Betas are invaluable resources for writers, pointing out the problems with characterization, plotting, descriptions, dialogue, and so. Some may be detailed and some may be more general. Usually you'd discuss with your betas what kind of things you want them to look for, although that will not stop them from pointing out things you never even thought of as a problem :D

How does the Beta Project work?

Each participant will submit a private message to me by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, March 14, 2014. (to PM me, click on my user name and select "Send a private message to Sage"). This gives you 3 weeks to polish up your entries and finish up your novel if you were close to being done. You can submit unfinished manuscripts, and you can also submit short stories, non-fiction, poetry, screenplays, comic books, whatever you need a beta for. However, I believe all past entries have been novels, and if only one or two others are entered this time, it may be difficult to find knowledgable betas for you (so encourage others in your category to submit if you want to join with a non-novel). The only requirement I'm going to make for entering is that you're a member in good standing as of Friday, February 21, 2014.

Your PM should look a little something like this:

Manuscript Title: Your current title or "untitled" if you prefer
Manuscript Genre: This will help match you up to readers
Manuscript Word Count: (or Current/Projected Word Count for unfinished mss)
Is your manuscript finished?: Y/N

Hook:

150 words about your novel. It doesn't have to be a full query, and probably won't be with this word-count limit. But it's great practice for summarizing your novel in a way that will hook readers.

First 750 words:

In standard manuscript format (Courier New, 12 pt, double space), 750 words is about 3 pages. Find a spot short of that 750-word mark that makes for a good ending spot.

What do you look for in a beta?

About 100 words about what you're looking for. For example, I might say, "I'm looking for a beta who will point out those pesky plot holes I've been blind to and any characterization that doesn't work. My description can sometimes be lacking, so please tell me when I need more. And I'm nervous about the romance. Is it, well, romantic?"

What genres do you read?

This is for matching purposes and will not be posted. Include also if you like other categories, such as non-fiction, poetry, short stories, etc. just in case we get some non-novel entries.

What happens next?

On the 15th, I will post the entries in the Beta Project Subforum (What? You didn't know that even existed, did you? ;) ). There they will be under the same protection as those excerpts posted in Share Your Work. The password is "beta." That's a great place to see examples of what the last Beta Project was like.

The entries will be anonymous. Don't worry about it if you've posted about your manuscript elsewhere on AW and know that it might be recognizable, but we're hoping that beta offers come because your hook and first 3 pages catch the reader's attention.

I will assign everybody a certain number of entries to critique. It will be no more than 5, and it will probably be 3 (as it was both times before). This way everyone will get at least 3 critiques on their first 3 pages and maybe their hook and title too (depending on how people crit). Since the entries will be posted publicly, critiques may also come from people who were not assigned to you. The critiques will be anonymous as well, and will be sent to me and then posted in the thread with its associated entry. That way, you can get critique experience without feeling pressured about what other's might think, but the critiques will still be posted so that others can learn from them. And you'll be surprised how much you'll learn critiquing other people's work.

You will be given 2 weeks to critique the entries assigned to you. If you fail to PM me the critiques by 11:59 p.m. EST, Saturday, March 29, 2014, I will withhold your critiques and beta offers. The critiques can be detailed if you wish, or they could just be a few constructive points. I will post all critiques on March 30 using the same formatting used when they were submitted to me. If I get all the critiques before then, I'll post them earlier.

If you see one or more entries that you wish to beta, PM me with the entry number(s) you liked, and I will share your name with the author(s) so that they can choose to contact you. Everybody on AW can offer to beta or critique the entries, not just participants! Just PM me. But, don't worry, just because you were selected to critique an entry, you do not have to beta it unless you want to.

Any questions or comments?

Post 'em here!

All right, go get those manuscripts polished and entries together. Or if you're ready, you can PM me your entry now.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for restarting this! When I first joined AW, this looked really interesting...and then I saw how old it was and was bummed that it was over. So, thank you. :)

I'm a little confused. Will the people participating be reading the full novels, or just an excerpt?

Last edited:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Hah! I saw you (pretty sure it was you) reference the Beta Project in a post the other day and thought 'hey that sounds interesting'.

I wish I had enough together of my WIP to take part - it sounds great. Will see closer to the time.

I'm a little confused. Will the people participating be reading the full novels, or just an excerpt?

I believe it's the first 750 words with the opportunity to contact the author and beta on from there. I'm sure Sage will confirm shortly though.

Question: If somebody doesn't have a viable WIP for this, can they take part in a beta-only role... or is this strictly for swapsies/pairing?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent questions!
Thank you for restarting this! When I first joined AW, this looked really interesting...and then I saw how old it was and was bummed that it was over. So, thank you. :)

Everybody who submits must critique the excerpts chosen for them (probably 3, depending on number of entries). They do not have to beta for anybody, but hopefully they want to. They are also not limited to those three entries for either critting or betaing.

Hah! I saw you (pretty sure it was you) reference the Beta Project in a post the other day and thought 'hey that sounds interesting'.

I wish I had enough together of my WIP to take part - it sounds great. Will see closer to the time.

I believe it's the first 750 words with the opportunity to contact the author and beta on from there. I'm sure Sage will confirm shortly though.

Question: If somebody doesn't have a viable WIP for this, can they take part in a beta-only role... or is this strictly for swapsies/pairing?
Yep, that was probably me. It'd been on my mind lately.

If you're not ready to submit, you can absolutely offer to beta. You'll just PM me with the entry or entry that you like, and I'll give your name to the author so they can contact you. You can also choose to critique any entry anonymously. In the same way, you'd just PM me the critique so I can post it with the others.

The first time, everyone who entered was given 3 entries (hook + 750 words) to critique. I received a fourth critique and all four critters offered to beta, so that was pretty cool :D I critiqued my 3 entries, offered to beta one of them, and offered to beta a different entry as well.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
This is so exciting! I've often wished the Beta Project would come back. It looked like it was so much fun.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, this sounds so exciting! I'm not sure that my WIP would be done in time for this, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for the project and crit a few of the entries. Wheee!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to read & offer my thoughts on somebody's work. Can I participate just as a reader?

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Ooh I'm excited.

Question : I've been procrastinating submitting a finished project to find betas, but I'm also half through editing another novel. If both are done in time could both be submitted? Obviously, I'd still do three crits per submission.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, as long as you do 3 crits per sub, I don't see any reason why you couldn't submit both of them.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Is there going to be another one after this? Like can this be a consistent thing?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Is there going to be another one after this? Like can this be a consistent thing?
I hope so too. I don't think I'll have anything that I could use by this deadline. I don't mind just critiquing/betaing on this one, but I hope that it won't be another, what, five years before another one comes around?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
If this could be something that happens every few months, that'd be great, but I don't know if Sage could handle it. Like maybe the next one could be in June or July or something.

No I am not mentioning those months because that is when I anticipate to have something ready... why do you ask? >>;;

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds amazing and will definitely participate!

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
Thanks for running this. It sounds like a logistical nightmare (albeit a fun nightmare). There's no way I will have anything ready to be beta'd but I'd love to do some anonymous critting/stalking. :evil

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! I will be joining with a 'non-novel,' specifically a piece of interactive fiction. Hopefully some folks will be willing to tackle something less traditional. Certainly I'd be happy to crit and hopefully beta as well. ^_^

lothar97

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds amazing! I wish that I were further along with my manuscript. Hopefully I will catch the next round ;) *unsubtle winkwinkwinkwink*. But I am looking forward to critiquing some of the ones that are submitted.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If this is a success, I will certainly be happy to do another in the not-so-distant-future. But it will probably be more like a year.

Awesome! I will be joining with a 'non-novel,' specifically a piece of interactive fiction. Hopefully some folks will be willing to tackle something less traditional. Certainly I'd be happy to crit and hopefully beta as well. ^_^
I'm intrigued :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A question from another thread, so I'm clarifying here.
How long is the beta project going on? I'd love to sign up, but I'm sort of introducing a character at the moment that might allow me to actually end the book. (I had one of those weird endings that just sort of stops.)

Edit: I wanted to add, do they need to be posted before the 15th, or right on the 15th?
You PM me on or before the 14th and I post them on the 15th. That's just the hook and first 3 pages.

Then there are two more weeks before you actually receive beta requests, so there are actually 5 weeks from now until you need something betable (Yes, I did just make up that word).

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
So it's the hook and first 750 words per three entries? Or is it one entry? Its going to be fun to learn how to crit though.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to be a critter and reader. :) MS is only at the 1/3 mark of the second draft, and I think the next 5 weeks would be better spent working toward the halfway point, rather than backtracking to make the early stuff beta-worthy. Too many circles makes me dizzy. :e2hammer:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So it's the hook and first 750 words per three entries? Or is it one entry? Its going to be fun to learn how to crit though.
I will select three entries (hook + 750 words) to critique for each person who submits. That "three" is dependent on how many entries we get.

We do already have some in :)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Is it an issue that I already have the first three chapters edited? At the moment it's the next sixteen I have trouble with. I still have the original first four though.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's definitely not an issue. People look for betas at different stages of writing. Some do it when the novel has been revised and polished and they *think* it's ready to go on submission but need someone else's eyes to point out what they've missed, and some do it early on in the revising process so that they can find out the big picture stuff that they didn't know was a problem before making significant revisions that might be moot after beta notes anyway. But you won't get a single beta complaining that your novel was too polished, trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.