Critique Circle 2014 Information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi peoples!

So we’ve passed our first crit circle meeting of the year, yayyyy :snoopy: With the new year, here’s the new thread with current information:

What is Crit Circle?

Crit circle is a group of AW members that meets in an IRC chat room to crit a small piece of work every 2nd and 4th Friday of each month. Critting in chat consists of 2 major points good or bad to be made from a reader, questions from the person in the hotseat of those 2 points and then the next reader takes their turn and so on. After each reader has taken a turn then we usually get into a discussion for ideas/progress/cheering/further clarification for that person. Occasionally group announcements are made at the beginning of the session.

When:

8:30 PM Central (adjust accordingly), 2nd and 4th Friday of each month (barring any schedule changes that happen for holidays and such)

Where:

An IRC chat channel, separate from the regular AW chat room, instructions to get there found here.

What can be Critted:

Anything (and any genre!) 5k and under, we crit to help get each other’s work ready for whatever goal we have, be it publication or submission or just getting it out there. This includes:

~Novel excerpts (doesn’t matter from where in the novel)

~Short Stories and Flash

~Queries/Synopsis

If it’s not listed, ask!

How to join:

Everyone’s welcome, anytime!

PM me your email and I will add you to the email list, if there’s enough time, I will send you the current piece, if not, you can simply sit in on the session to meet everyone and get your bearings :)

Join us!
~Kit

P.S. Previous crit circle thread can be found here.

Last edited:

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Hi there,

I just wanted to drop a note and say hi.

I wanted to say that this story has gone through multiple tweaks. Anything you're willing to say will be welcome. I consider all comments.

I hope to see you on the 13th.

:)

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
03/14/2014 Circle

Hi guys,

I want to thank Elaine and Laura for helping me with my story. I appreciate the comments and will consider the suggestions made. Meaning, I'll write the rough draft and see how that flows.

To anyone that didn't attend, if you would like to send me your crits and/or comments to my story The Getaway, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

PS: I'm open to story title suggestions. If anyone is wondering, this about the fifth title change. Did I mention, I hate thinking up story titles?

Nancy.K.Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to thank Elaine and Laura for helping me with my story. I appreciate the comments and will consider the suggestions made. Meaning, I'll write the rough draft and see how that flows.

To anyone that didn't attend, if you would like to send me your crits and/or comments to my story The Getaway, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

PS: I'm open to story title suggestions. If anyone is wondering, this about the fifth title change. Did I mention, I hate thinking up story titles?

Hey, there! I checked in last night a little early to make sure I could access the room (I'm new) and stayed until a while after the start time but it only showed Calli being in the room. I had done a few readings of the piece and have extensive notes I can email you. I can't title anything to save my life, sorry.

Was there a change to the fine? The email didn't have a time listed but the post says 8:30 Central. I'm in the eastern time zone but it's only an hour so I think my math was right :)

laurasbadideas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unlikelyexplanations.com
Hey, there! I checked in last night a little early to make sure I could access the room (I'm new) and stayed until a while after the start time but it only showed Calli being in the room. I had done a few readings of the piece and have extensive notes I can email you. I can't title anything to save my life, sorry.

Was there a change to the fine? The email didn't have a time listed but the post says 8:30 Central. I'm in the eastern time zone but it's only an hour so I think my math was right :)
That's really strange. You went to the AWCritCircle room at 9:30pm EDT on Friday? If so, you should have seen three of us there.

Nancy.K.Writer

Registered
Reaction score
That's really strange. You went to the AWCritCircle room at 9:30pm EDT on Friday? If so, you should have seen three of us there.

Yes. I followed the instructions from the group (see first post in this thread; I followed the link included for the directions on how to find the group and followed exactly those instructions) and when I got there (about ten minutes early just in case I had a problem) the only other person listed in the room was Calli. I stayed for a while but since no one joined I eventually logged out.

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
It's possible everyone missed each other, I was sick last week so no reminder went out. Next Friday if you think something's wrong just email me Nancy :)

P.S. To everyone, I'm still waiting on next week's piece so you haven't missed the email yet.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I wish there was a euro/british version of this.

There is, sort of. The current thread for it is here. There were relatively few participants, however, and over time it stopped being run. If there was interest, it could be taken up again. You're welcome to post there to see if anyone else is around and would like to join in.

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
I wish there was a euro/british version of this.

Also note to all, our group isn't strictly for North Americans, it's just what the time zone is more suited to, you're more than welcome to PM me to join if the time isn't a problem for you :)

Gunga Din

Banned
Reaction score
Can't get in. I get a message saying the application cannot run some thing to do with a certificate being dodgy.

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
You're probly have problems with javachat, there's several threads that might help you in the irc forum here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212

We have no crit session today (only the 2nd and fourth fridays) but you can come to regular chat to hang out :)

If you'd like to join the crit circle itself, PM me with your email and I'll add you to the list.

Gunga Din

Banned
Reaction score
ok ty. Hmm. Another thought... Have you have heard of Pal Talk? It's free and it occurred to me it could be useful for something like this. Although, if you are established, there would not be much point in changing I guess.

Last edited:

laurasbadideas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unlikelyexplanations.com
Today's schedule is kind of up in the air for me, so I may be late to crit circle tonight, or I might not make it at all. Or I might be there on time. Yup, that pretty much covers all possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.