Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Elite Finesse Literary Agency (formerly Finesse Literary Agency)

Karen Carr, agent

I'm boggled we haven't listed this one yet. The only website I find is one cached from 2002: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

Anyway, this agency has been named one of Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents/Agencies.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:

Last edited by CaoPaux; 03-14-2006 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Don't mean nothin' without a thumbs down.
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
FYI - Writer Beware reports that:
Quote:
- Finesse Literary Agency is now doing business as [The] Elite Finesse Literary Agency. (How do we know? The owner, Karen Carr, didn't change her name--or her fee-charging M.O.)
Other listings include K.E. Carr / The Elite Finesse Literary Publishing Agency.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
bubblegirl
Resident Bubble Girl

bubblegirl is on a distinguished road
I have to say, anyone looking for an agent should read Preditors and Editors first. Victoria, your crew have a great website there. I always check on there before contacting firms. Let's say, I've had bad experiences in the past.

S.

Author and motivation icon: housebound due to immune disease since 1997, yet still achieving!

www.bubblegirl.net - where individuality truly shines!
bubblegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Kasey Mackenzie
Cover Karma - 3 for 3 KICK@$$!

Kasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay--now THAT'S a brilliant name change. Nobody will EVER guess that The Elite Finesse Literary Agency is the same as the Finesse Literary Agency. No, really...um...yeah.

(*insert sarcasm notice for those who can't detect it easily*)

Black-Hearted Betrayal - Penguin/Ace June 26, 2012.
Kasey Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegirl
I have to say, anyone looking for an agent should read Preditors and Editors first. Victoria, your crew have a great website there.
Actually, P&E is Dave Kuzminski (who I'm sure will appreciate your compliment). Ann Crispin and I run Writer Beware, which has a similar mission but is a separate operation (we provide general warnings about literary fraud plus some specific alerts, while Dave provides lists of agents and publishers with specific notations as to which ones charge fees, etc.)

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #6
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's a weblink: http://www.writers.net/agents/12639
Old 04-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Richkd
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Richkd is on a distinguished road
Finesse

I used Karen about 7-8 years ago when I was a young(er), unpublished author. I had yet to learn the BUSINESS of writing, but my eyes are wide open now. Ms. Carr sat on my work for 4-5 months despite assuring me that publishers would be contacted fairly quickly. She charged me a fee (which is a no-no for a professional, but I didn't know that at the time), then didn't cash my check for 9 months. I have no idea if she actually contacted any of the publishers she said she did, but based on the responses (or lack thereof), I have to assume the worse. That episode turned me off to agents permanently, and I have been published by legitimate publishing houses three times since, so I won't be going back to an agency.

Last edited by Richkd; 04-21-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Richkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Hi Richkd:

Welcome. Congratulations on your pubs without an agent! You do realize that you've never been represented by an agency though, right? Lumping working with an agent in with being scammed by a preditor leaves you with an unfortunate misconception of the process.

It's supposed to be difficult, not useless.

GB
Atria/Infinite Words

..Bower Lewis
website | facebook
. .......twitter

Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle
Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richkd View Post
That episode turned me off to agents permanently
I don't understand this. A fraudulent, incompetent agency is not representative of what legitimate, competent agencies can provide. It's like saying "I was ripped off by a quack, so no more doctors for me!"
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
danielleputnam4
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

danielleputnam4 is on a distinguished road
Smile Thank You

I just wanted to say thank you so much. The Elite Finesse Literary Agency just contacted me about a series of books I am working on wanting to know if I could submit some more sample chapters. Then she asked me to pay her $170 total for recieving my information. Being a new writer and trying to get published I almost paid her; however I ran across this website first and refuse to pay her now. Thank you so much for helping new authors like me.
danielleputnam4 is offline   Reply With Quote