Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Literary Associates (Henry Santsaver)

Any views of Henry Santsaver?
He has just popped up on Publishers Marketplace as an agent.
His website is here www.myliteraryagent.org/2.html

Another well-intentioned no-hoper?
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The site appears clueless and gormless. I think we should take up a collection to send them a clue and some gorm.
DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
JerseyGirl1962
I heart Malamutes! :-)

JerseyGirl1962 is a shiny, shiny jewelJerseyGirl1962 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander
Any views of Henry Santsaver?
He has just popped up on Publishers Marketplace as an agent.
His website is here www.myliteraryagent.org/2.html

Another well-intentioned no-hoper?
And I don't see any address, either. Where the heck are they located?

Plus, what kind of stories are they looking for? I saw something that talked about "Southern writers" or something, but...?

What Dave K. said.

~Nancy

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley
JerseyGirl1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Allow two weeks to recieve a response to your query.

Spell-check. It isn't just for breakfast any more.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Branwyn
Print release:Sept.1,'09

Branwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputationBranwyn has a golden reputation
The Upside of Karma
Branwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
PVish
Cat hair collector

PVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl1962
And I don't see any address, either. Where the heck are they located?
The phone number listed on the site is 1-386-756-0520—a northern Florida area code. A bit far to do lunch with New York editors on a regular basis.
PVish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
Their submissions page is rather bizarre. Not only poorly worded, but is this a bit unusual?

Quote:
...why we can accept your materials for marketing. But if we accept the manuscript for marketing at once there is no agent contract until the publisher says yes.
(I don't have an agent, so I don't know if this is standard practice or not, but all the legit agent sites have seen have at least indicated they would sign a contract with you and then try to get you published.)

Then there's this:

Quote:
There is never a fee if the manuscript must be revised once or twice and returned per the Associate Reader's suggestions.
If the manuscript needs more revisions, is there a fee then? How would they enforce that if there's no contract between the author and agent?

ETA: Something about the wording makes me think English may not be the website creator's first language.

Last edited by DeadlyAccurate; 03-17-2006 at 09:55 PM. Reason: ETA: Additional thoughts
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Toni1953
practical experience, FTW

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
i don't think so......
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #9
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Clueless" doesn't cover it.

Making Light got Warren Whitlock; I get this guy. OK?

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
ETA: Something about the wording makes me think English may not be the website creator's first language.[/QUOTE]

Mr Santsaver claims to be a former English college professor. Doesn't say which college though.
waylander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
"Clueless" doesn't cover it.

Making Light got Warren Whitlock; I get this guy. OK?

- Victoria
Just clean the carpet after, okay?

Oh, and to DA:

Quote:
I don't have an agent, so I don't know if this is standard practice or not, but all the legit agent sites have seen have at least indicated they would sign a contract with you and then try to get you published.
Correct. Although some agents work via "handshake", there's a still an implied contract subject to all sort of fun legal junk (at least in CA). I'm thinking that when he sends the contract, that's when the fees come..."pay us or the deal's off".
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:17 AM   #12
zarch
lover of fonts

zarch is well-respected
who are the dude and chick at the top of the site?
zarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:34 AM   #13
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The dude and chick are Art, and his pal Clip.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:41 AM   #14
Lauri B
I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage

Lauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLauri B is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Oh, Jim, you do make me laugh.
Lauri B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #15
batgirl
Writting broad

batgirl has earned our admirationbatgirl has earned our admirationbatgirl has earned our admirationbatgirl has earned our admiration
For some reason I read that url as mylittleagent.org and had visions of big-eyed agents with hair you could brush.
So, can we look forward to Victoria eviscerating the confusing MAQ (in other circles called FAQ) about the getting of a contract? I'll make the popcorn.
-Barbara

batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #16
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by book_maven
Ooooh, I love it! Bad clip art and this--right on the first page.

We want to provide you with the kind of helpful guidance to sell your manuscript to the best publisher in the world. Or unfortunately we must reject your submission. That does not mean we have given up totally if you can craft the submission into the format required by our strict standards.

Please read our contracts article on the home page, our most requested subject
Gaah. I've yet to actually visit the site, and I think I'll spare myself the headache. *throb*
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Old 03-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #17
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoPaux
Gaah. I've yet to actually visit the site, and I think I'll spare myself the headache. *throb*
Gee, Cao -- and no one's even mentioned yet that the site is in ALL CAPS.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #18
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
Gee, Cao -- and no one's even mentioned yet that the site is in ALL CAPS.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:38 AM   #19
Scribhneoir
Reinventing Myself

Scribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of light
I think this is my favorite bit.

Quote:
And remember only if you have a contract with us do we ever advance funds.

So all you starving writers looking for a handout -- don't look here.
Scribhneoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:50 AM   #20
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Lest anyone wonder, there's no mention whatever of who they represent or anything they've sold.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #21
the1dsquared
Dave Diamantes

the1dsquared is on a distinguished road
A Google search indicates that he is (or was) a professor at Daytona Beach Community College. Maybe I've been looking for agents in the wrong places....
the1dsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 PM   #22
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

Well, I dood it: I ventured into the site. I’ll be squinting for days, but I wanted to investigate
Quote:
And remember only if you have a contract with us do we ever advance funds.
I think he’s talking about a contract with the publisher. (Quotes un-capped and re-paragraphed.)
Quote:
Most asked questions: Author Contracts:

Contracts take from six to eight weeks once an editor reaches agreement to publish your manuscript through our agency.

First upon accepting the new manuscript, the editor prepares a done deal memo.

Next this memo is handed to the parties concerned in the publisher's contract department where it is used as an outline for the formal contract. You get a copy of the done deal memo too.

After this contract is read by the company acquisitions editor, it travels to an officer of the company for approvals, then the contract department takes it and issues a copy to the agent and author.

After the agent and author review the contract for the agreed upon deal points, the final signed contract is returned to the publisher. It can take up to a month or two months to agree on the deal points in some cases.

Once returned to the publishing company again, the contracts must be reviewed and then must be signed before copies of the completed contract are mailed to you. At that time a voucher is issued, directing the accounts payable folks to cut a check for your advance payment.

This check then goes to the controller or authority in charge of disbursements to sign. Then this "advance" is mailed to the agent who removes his ten percent and mails the other ninty percent to you. After returned books that did not sell are subtracted from the company accounts, the final royalty check owed by the publisher is mailed to the payee,

In publishing all things take time, not to mention the time it took you to produce the manuscript. The contract cash advance must meet a breakeven point through public sales of the book before you begin to recieve royalties. How much? That depends on your contractual agreement points.
Reading this, one would think he had a tenuous grasp on How Things Work, but just can’t write worth a damn. Then we find this:

Quote:
Prepublication Reviewers

If you are a newspaper, radio, television, satellite radio, advertising, marketing, film studio or media person with credentials and time to spare reviwing an exciting manuscript--

If you'd like to help screenplay writers--

If you like discovering talented fiction writers--

If you are a hard back or paperback reviewer for a newspaper who know talent when you see it --

Then we want to send you a manuscript of screenplay for an honest review that we think has promise;

Please email us. We find exciting fiction and nonfiction writers who need opinionated marketing reviews for their efforts. There is no payment involved. And you might discover a new screenwriter or author who might never get published without your help. Also you may want to quote their work for your own publicity reasons.
He invites folks to review unpubbed work…Dave, how’s that collection for gorm going?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #23
natewrites

Henry Santsaver

I'm glad I've just joined this site. Hello everyone. I found this site while doing some investigating on Henry as he requested to see my full m/s.

I don't know. Lots of agents on PM don't have very lengthy bios. I'll keep everyone informed if I hear anything suspicious. I hope he's legit.

Currently, I have four agents reading my full m/s.

Natewrites
Old 04-12-2006, 07:36 PM   #24
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
And none of those agents asked for an exclusive? I've never had an agent request a full, but isn't that a bit unusual that none of them wanted an exclusive?

Just out of curiosity, what research did you do before you queried Santsaver that made you feel comfortable submitting to him?
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #25
Kasey Mackenzie
Cover Karma - 3 for 3 KICK@$$!

Kasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, plenty of "legit" agents (as in, not out-and-out scammers) do not have experience or contacts in the publishing industry and thus will do you little to no good. It's better to have no agent than a bad or clueless agent. You'd be better off submitting to the houses that actually accept agentless submissions because an agent with no contacts in the industry is going to get you in the exact same place you can get yourself--the slush pile.

Black-Hearted Betrayal - Penguin/Ace June 26, 2012.
Kasey Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote