Copyrights, Editing & Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosepddle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karendenise72.blogspot.com
I've just finished my second unpublished novel. I wanted to know if it is necessary to get a copyright or does that create more trouble for a publisher? Also, should I have it professionally edited? I was also told that it is necessary to have an agent since more publishers will not accept unsolicited work so would an agent have the work edited or should that be done before an agent even views it?

Thanks,

Karen

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Karen. These questions have been answered many times before, so you'll get a lot of information by using the Search function to look up old threads. To give you short answers:

No, you do not need to register the copyright yourself; in fact, you shouldn't. Your copyright exists from the moment of creation. When your book sells, and is in its final form, the publisher will register the copyright in your name. Registering the copyright for an unpublished manuscript is one of the Dreaded Signs of the Amateur.

No, you do not need to get your manuscript professionally edited. That, too, is one of the Dreaded Signs of the Amateur. If you expect to be published, you must be capable of editing your manuscript to publishable quality yourself.

It is not necessary to have an agent, but it's helpful. Many respectable, effective publishing houses still accept unagented manuscripts. An agent can, however, get your work read sooner, get you better terms in your contract, help you plan your writing career, and get your work seen at houses that don't accept unagented material.

If you look through the Index thread on the Bewares and Background Check forum here on AW, you'll find links to many threads on finding a good publisher and a good agent, and many threads on hiring editors (why not to), and so on. Good luck!

ETA: Thanks to everyone who pointed out that I blundered and typed "professionally published" where I meant "professionally edited" above. Corrected now.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
rosepddle said:
I've just finished my second unpublished novel. I wanted to know if it is necessary to get a copyright

No. Just put "Copyright 2006, YOUR NAME" on page one. It can be in small print.

When you sell the publisher will register the copyright for you. It's what they do.

rosepddle said:
should I have it professionally edited?

Get a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style and figure out how to do your own editing for now.

Editing is not rocket science. If I can figure it out, anyone can.

Your best asset for editing is a good beta reader. This is someone who can tell you how to make the book better. Egoboos are nice but this is the one who will say "this part/scene/line/character didn't work for me. You might want to check it out. Oh, and here's a word rep to fix."

rosepddle said:
I was also told that it is necessary to have an agent

It can't hurt. But before you start the agent rounds put your book in a box for a few months and work on the next one. Get some mental distance from it and the edit job will be easier.

Read similar books now to see how other writers solved the problems you addressed. Make notes for later, but leave the book in a box.

rosepddle said:
would an agent have the work edited or should that be done before an agent even views it?

An agent SELLS and will not edit (just check Miss Snark's blog on that topic). It's your job to send in the best, most polished book you can write.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Gillhoughly said:
No. Just put "Copyright 2006, YOUR NAME" on page one. It can be in small print.

I would strenuously suggest not doing this. Any legit agent or editor is very familiar with copyright law, and the fact that your manuscript is copyrighted from the moment you finish it. I have heard countless professionals say that including a copyright notice is one of the marks of an amateur writer.

To balance out my slightly harsh comment there, I'll add that I strenuously agree with the rest of Gillhoughly's post :)

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
jchines said:
I would strenuously suggest not doing this.

Hey no problem! It's been a long time (EEK!!--that long??) since I sent in my first MS so the rules may have changed, and my info on copyright is more than likely out of date.

The main thing is don't pay for the copyright registration (or even a notary!)--that's the publisher's job. They're set up for it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence--and again--NO prob! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.