William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Thanks again to everyone who entered and to everyone who voted. It was great to see such quality work, not only from regulars but also from quite a few new faces.

I also appreciate everyone who helped spread the word through their sig lines and posts.

The Winners:

First Place (with 9 votes): poetinahat (read the entry)

poetinahat will receive:

• A 1-year subscription to Poetry Contest Insider, a service of Winning Writers (and a $27.80 value). Poetry Contest Insider profiles over 750 quality poetry contests, plus over 100 prose contests, AND
Second Place (with 8 votes): KTC (read the entry)

KTC will receive:
  • A copy of Jenna Glatzer's e-book Sell the Fun Stuff, featuring valuable advice and market information for writers and artists of greeting cards and much more.
Congratulations also to our Honorable Mentions:

Third Place (with 6 votes): trumancoyote (read the entry)
Fourth Place (with 5 votes): dahmnait
(read the entry)
Fifth Place (with 4 votes): ideagirl (read the entry)

Happy Mother's Day.

-William

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
Congrats Rob and Kevin! And to everyone else who entered, the poems were all wonderful and made it so difficult to vote for just one.

And I got 4th place :D Thank you everyone who voted for mine. I am glad it touched you. I would have tied for 3d, but my vote went somewhere in the top two.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Rob and Kevin, and to all of the winners. A fine contest!

Last edited:

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

All poems were wonderful! Congrats to the winners. I'm sure it was a close race for everyone.

oh and...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAYS TO ALL OF US MOTHERS!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Rob and Kevin--and the other winners, too! The contest was a lot of fun, with some very good entries. Happy Mother's Day, everyone :) .

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Wow! I'm stunned. Congrats Rob...couldn't happen to a nicer poet!

William...I would like to offer my prize to #3 on the list. I already have Jenna's book and access to that forum. I'd love for the 3rd place poet to gain access to these valuable resources. Thanks.

Thank you to everyone who voted for me. Again, I'm stunned!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I came on here to see if my pick, Truman, had taken 1st place. Glad to see you got 3rd, Zach. Faboo poem. They were all wonderful. I enjoyed the different styles of each poet. Congrats to all who entered.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
what a contest!
congrats to the winners, you deserved it.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
KTC said:
William...I would like to offer my prize to #3 on the list. I already have Jenna's book and access to that forum. I'd love for the 3rd place poet to gain access to these valuable resources. Thanks.

will do, if only for the shock value of seeing one of zach's greeting cards on the shelf in my local drugstore.

ddgryphon

King of Sloth Town
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
While I think everyone who entered is a winner, I want to especially send good wishes to those who got prizes for it.

All well-deserved. I'm glad I didn't have to choose the winner, just my fave.

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Rob and to all the other winners as well!!!!!!!
Thanks again, William for hosting it!

Last edited:

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS ROB! Your poem is incredible. I think it's flawlessly constructed and each time I read it, I find something new. That last stanza is to-die-for brilliant!!

And CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU, KEVIN! Your poem is hauntingly beautiful, and I can still see and feel the ember.

CONGATULATIONS ZACH! The image of Birdy's "malformed wings" ...ahhh... kill me now.

CONGRATULATIONS TAMMY! What a tribute to your mom! So beautifully written....so universal. And that ending is so powerful.

CONGRATULATIONS IDEAGIRL! Your poem wouldn't let me go. I loved it more each time I read it and I read it too many times to remember. How proud your Grandmother would be. oh!

And CONGRATULATIONS TO THE REST OF US!! I enjoyed these poems...all of them, each and every one of them so much. I'd like to discuss some of them but I don't have them in front of me. Another post.

And THANK YOU, WILLIAM! You've given each of us a great gift with this contest. I've never been able to write a poem that I felt was worthy of my mother and now I've got one under my belt.

And THANK YOU, JENNA! Great prizes!

I'm sure the writers who are lucky enough to still have their moms with them were able to give them the special gift of a poem today. And what's better than that!

Last edited:

PrettySpecialGal

roll, roll, roll in ze hay
Registered
Reaction score
congrats to everyone- you are certainly inspiration to get out there and do it! Perhaps, next time, I'll have one ready for the contest-- will that be dad's day, William?

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
And thanks again, William. You deflect praise, like it's the poets and the voters doing all the work, but you're the one steering the ship. I don't usually speak for others, but I'm pretty sure no one's going to object if I say how much we all appreciate your guidance, enthusiasm, cheerleading [Eee gads, Will in a mini skirt?], and effort. Thanks again.

To echo the query above, will we see a Father's Day repeat?

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Congrats to Poet and everyone who entered. Some very well written poetry!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'm supremely chuffed. What a pleasing counterpoint to a cool, rainy Monday morning!

My choice didn't win either, and I don't like to discuss my vote in public -- but I'm proud to be among such outstanding company.

Just so you know, the mother in my house got a home-cooked chili dinner and a copy of aruna's "Of Marriageable Age" for Mother's Day. My own Mom -- it's a long way to Ketchikan, Alaska, from here. She and Dad are in port there on the way north for the summer. We talked on the phone.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! and way2go! to Poet, KTC and the hm's, and to everyone who entered. It was a wonderful treat reading all the poems. They were great. Thanks much, William for doing that for us.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gigantic THANK YOU to:

Jenna Glatzer for donating the prizes. You're a grand person and an inspirational leader, Jenna.

William Haskins for organising and running the contest. You encourage us all to be better than we are.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations everybody! There was some damn fine work in this contest.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
Gigantic THANK YOU to:

Jenna Glatzer for donating the prizes. You're a grand person and an inspirational leader, Jenna.

William Haskins for organising and running the contest. You encourage us all to be better than we are.
I second that! You guys are great.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Cassie88 said:
CONGRATULATIONS TAMMY! What a tribute to your mom! So beautifully written....so universal. And that ending is so powerful.
Thank you. Everything written in that poem my mom experienced with either me or my sisters. Everything that is, except the ending. That won't happen for a long long time. I was just so glad that my mom read the love it contained and wasn't disturbed by the ending. :) I made her cry.