• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mardi Gras Publishing

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I saw them a while back. Another soft erotica focused epublisher. There are a few of these around. I know nothing against these guys but you might want to try a place that is better established?

They take all lengths as epublishers sell all lengths. I don't know about all genres--they have four very focussed lines in the romance/erotica area.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I've just come across Twisted Shift-another year old company in a similar vein, hey no pun intended!

I think these start ups h ave good intentions they just never materialize.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder why they stress they charge no up-front fees?

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
I know some people with this company. They take all genres. I believe that they stress the no up front fees because several companies claim to not be a vanity press but charge fees for publishing with them. They take print over 50,000 words but are closed to submissions in that word count.

I do not have any personal experience with them only going by rumor. So far everyone seems happy.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, the seem to be going along happily, I haven't heard any sniff of a compliant and some authors with them seem pretty happy so far.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Has anyone heard any scary stories yet?

That isn't the question. The question is "Has anyone heard any success stories yet?"

Books spotted in bookstores. Your pal recommending one of their books to you. You personally reading and loving one or more of their books. Awards. Reviews in major sources. Sales figures in the thousands. You know.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well back in August I submitted an outline and three sample chapters of my vampire novel to the editor Wendi Felter. She responsed in a day asking for the complete manuscript, and I promptly sent it.

Tonight however, the publisher Teresa Jacobs emailed me and said they were very interested in my novel, and she wanted to see the full manuscript for a possible ebook or print contract.

I'm elated and all, but is it just a miscommunication that one person in the company is supposed to have my file and her superior doesn't? I resent my story of course, but should I be worried?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would inform her of the previous submission and to whom it was sent--and submit it to her as well. Glitches happen.

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
I think there was a computer crash. If I'm not mistaken the files are sent to Wendi and Teresa. It was Teresa's computer that died.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Coolness guys! I'm glad to know it was a ghost in the machine and went I sent my response to Teresa, I mentioned I had spoken with Wendi previously.

Could this be IT? I hope so! Harris, are you with MGP? What is it like?

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not with MGP.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is there anything new? I gather Mardi Gras have had a bumpy ride and have had several suggestions from people with no obvious axe to grind that EREC should list them as not recommended. Any input appreciated.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Yes, there are definitely "scary stories" about them now. Do you read Piers Anthony's newsletter? He has a lot to say about them this month, in addition to what's in his publisher list.

Bottom line: He still thinks they're worthwhile, despite their fees, etc. :Shrug:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've gotten several documented complaints about Mardi Gras in the last month or so. It's the usual menu of problems that afflict troubled small publishers: unannounced fees, royalty statements that don't make sense or that under-report books sold, non-fulfillment of marketing promises, angry responses by the publisher to writers who ask questions.

- Victoria

Last edited:

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've seen no fees as yet. Never heard anything about fees. My book was delayed two days before its March release because the editor shakeup left me without an editor. I've since gone through 2 more editors do to health problems on their end, but the company has so far been good to me.

I know when the editors split there was a big war going on with Piers, but I stayed out of it. I want my book published, I don't wish to take sides in the shrinking e publishing industry.

I'm glad MGP is above water despite the personnel changes. Look at Trisk!

mardigrasboss

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings

I generally just follow this list, but one of my authors suggested I come read what is going on today.
It seems the whole fee thing is a haunt we will never get past.

Mardi Gras Publishing is a NET contract. Just as Phaze and a few others.
We do nothing different.
I made a mistake of doing ONE thing different then other NET publishers.
On my statements - I showed the authors where the money went. Well BOY did that cause a stink.

PIERS was sent all communication I had with my authors regarding this, and he (as posted on his site) saw the problem. MY HONESTY

He personally suggested to correct that issue and thus I have.

I set out in this business to be up front and honest with authors regarding everything I do with their books - but SOME, create an unpleasurable situation for MANY. Most of the issues were from NEW authors in the epublishing industry, following word of mouth from other NEW authors.
Im sure Emily herself is well educated in how many publishers operate, and I was heavily supported by our more experienced authors that understood the situation.

Ok - done venting now! Just felt I needed to rebuttal, considering poor Kristin was over here all by herself. LOL

Teresa

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Thanks for turning up. Is there somewhere online where the issue is specified and corrected re: listing fees and definition of net? Because like many I have heard the same rumors and prefer to have the straight facts.

mardigrasboss

Registered
Reaction score
Mardi Gras Rocks!

I would be more then happy to send a copy of my personal statement and several emails and author posts explaining to our published authors on an outside email address.
Nothing was posted outside the company to clarify, as MGP felt this was an inside issue. ALL of our authors were made aware of this situation thru company loop posts. These are the same posts I sent to PIERS.
The disgruntled authors were the only ones to go public and MANY did after they pulled. These are the same authors that had previously received two or three quarters in Royalties, before complaining about them. MANY PRO MGP authors rebuttaled to PIERS in this situation - thus his funny comment about calling them off. LOL

mardigrasboss

Registered
Reaction score
MGP to Victoria

If there were any angry responses made by me, I can ASSURE you they were provoked, and can probably dig the email I responded to - to prove it. As I explained above, this was a nasty I am glad is over, and you also are welcome to email off line with any questions. I have plenty of answers to this issue. LOL
LETS JUST GET THIS ONE UNDER THE RUG>>>

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
If there were any angry responses made by me, I can ASSURE you they were provoked, and can probably dig the email I responded to - to prove it. As I explained above, this was a nasty I am glad is over, and you also are welcome to email off line with any questions. I have plenty of answers to this issue. LOL
LETS JUST GET THIS ONE UNDER THE RUG>>>

Yelling on a message board and claiming you were provoked, etc., makes your company look amateurish.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Yelling on a message board and claiming you were provoked, etc., makes your company look amateurish.

I would second that and add that a publisher responding on a message board is admirable, but responding with poorly written and extremely informal messges negates any good will generated.