• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Keller Media / Forthrite Literary Agency (Wendy Keller)

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Keller media literary agency (formerly ForthWrite Literary Agency & Speakers Bureau) recently came up, but unfortunately the posts were lost.

Here is the website:
http://www.kellermedia.com/

Which reads like a huge sales pitch. They're not just a literary agency, they offer marketing (normally what a publisher does) seminars and training programmes. Presumably the author pays for these.

They have a not recommended in pretty red letters on Preditors & Editors:
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealf.htm

So, remember never to pay an agency up front. They should be taking their commission from the sale of your book to a publisher. If in doubt, contact Writer Beware and ask if they have further information:

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Found some of it:
06-27-2006, 07:10 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

Keller Media, Inc.

----------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking about inquiring agent representation with Keller Media Inc. Has anyone here worked with this agency before? I checked out their website at www.KellerMedia.com and looks like they have a winning track record of getting authors sold. Any feedback that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. I did a search on this thread and the entire site and found nothing. I do not mean to cause any more work for moderators just have not been able to find anything with the search engine at this site. Thanks in advance.
06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Tilly
Board fanatic

They're not in the index, and they're not at P&E, so I'm guessing the mods won't whip you too much

They definitely seem to be looking for non-fiction writers with a platform, and their list of sales, if accurate, looks good.

But I'm a bit baffled by the other things they're offering, like personal training:

Quote:
For the rare author whose idea is marvelous and whose talent is abundant, but whose free time or knowledge of publishing is restricted, we offer a direct route to publication using our proven, guaranteed system of private Author Training. We succeed in finding publishers for about 80% of all books we hand develop, far more than the industry average of 33%.
I don't know whether they're charging for this, or what they're doing, exactly.They're also offering seminars and book marketing:

Quote:
Whether you succeeded in getting a major publisher to produce your work or you did it yourself, or anything in between, you will learn fast that MARKETING your book is completely your responsibility. No matter how enthusiastic your publicity team, the success of your book is always up to you. We show you how to prepare, implement and sell books with a personalized Marketing Plan. This plan will turn your book into money and let more people hear your message, no matter how long ago your book was published.
The website reads, to me, like a huge sales pitch. All of these things would give me pause.

I would verify the sales they list, and make sure they didn't want any money off me, before I submitted.
06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Aconite
Full sun to light shade
Mod Squad Member

APH73, check the publishers this agency claims to have sold to carefully. Make sure they're not vanity presses or single-author "publishers." Tilly's spot on: this doesn't smell right.
06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

I checked on amazon and many of the publishers and found the claims to be legit. I did contact Keller/ForthwriteLiterary agency Wendy has replied back requesting materials. So I will keep you all posted on what happens.
Yesterday, 05:35 AM
Tilly
Board fanatic

APH73, ForthWrite literary agency is not recommended by Preditors and Editors.

I'm concerned about their entry at the free service at www.agentresearch.com (I searched under Keller and agent name).

They do not appear to belong to the AAR:

http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=9693

I would strongly suggest that you contact Writer Beware, and see what information they have:

Please tread carefully with this one
Yesterday, 09:24 AM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

Man, that website of theirs is hinky as all heck.

I think that they're aiming at businesspeople who want a book to sell from the back of the hall after they give presentations.

I don't see anything on their list that isn't specialized nonfiction/business/inspirational.

If you go there, keep your hand over your wallet and run away the first time they ask for a dime.
Yesterday, 12:17 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly
APH73, ForthWrite literary agency is not recommended by Preditors and Editors.

I'm concerned about their entry at the free service at www.agentresearch.com (I searched under Keller and agent name).

They do not appear to belong to the AAR:

http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=9693

I would strongly suggest that you contact Writer Beware, and see what information they have:

Please tread carefully with this one
Thank you Tilly, I did email Writer Beware and will email Wendy about any potential fee's. If they started asking for money right way I will walk. Thanks for info everyone.
Yesterday, 02:23 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

here is also the link to their contract info

http://www.kellermedia.com/authors/contract.shtml

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! Thank you:snoopy:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have feedback on keller media inc? (repost)

06-27-2006, 12:11 AM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

Anyone have feedback on keller media inc?

I was thinking about inquiring agent representation with Keller Media Inc. Has anyone here worked with this agency before? I checked out their website at www.KellerMedia.com and looks like they have a winning track record of getting authors sold. Any feedback that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
06-27-2006, 01:36 AM
quidscribis
Crazy Science Fiction Writer

This might be better asked in the Bewards and Background Check forum. Have you run a search for them here yet? Try that - if there's already a thread on them, it should show up.
06-27-2006, 06:58 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

I will ask on the other forum. I did run a search on the board and found nothing.
06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
dantem42
Board fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by APH73
I was thinking about inquiring agent representation with Keller Media Inc. Has anyone here worked with this agency before? I checked out their website at www.KellerMedia.com and looks like they have a winning track record of getting authors sold. Any feedback that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Agent Wendy Keller is strictly legit, with I think about 300 titles sold so far. The agency is strictly nonfiction and they specify their areas of interest. One thing to watch out for is that they also run a consulting biz, so you might get pitched for services if they don't pick up representation.
06-27-2006, 11:37 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantem42
Agent Wendy Keller is strictly legit, with I think about 300 titles sold so far. The agency is strictly nonfiction and they specify their areas of interest. One thing to watch out for is that they also run a consulting biz, so you might get pitched for services if they don't pick up representation.
Thanks for this info I checked amazon and many of the titles are listed there from their site and many are on major publishers. Many of my current books projects are non-fiction so I found her to be a good fit for me. She requested materials from me because she liked some of my ideas. I just wanted to know what I was getting into first.
06-27-2006, 11:42 PM
asorum
Benefactor Member

I noticed the submission guidelines link is broken on the Keller webpage. Anyone have a working URL?
06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
APH73
Esteemed New Member

Here is the Link for submissions

http://www.kellermedia.com/authors/f...ml#submissions

Keller Media, Inc.Specializing in Non-Fiction - We connect great authors with great publishers!In 1989, Senior Agent Wendy Keller left another agency to found ForthWrite Literary Agency. The company committed to selling high-quality non-fiction books and helping authors maximize the benefits of getting published. In 2003, we'd outgrown mere "literary agency" status and incorporated as Keller Media, Inc. to reflect the diversity of services we offer talented people.
Our literary agents have broad experience in writing, publishing, and book marketing. New, fresh voices are especially encouraged. As an international Literary Agency, we sell rights worldwide and represent authors from many countries and backgrounds. We help talent attain contracts in publishing, speaking and media opportunities.

• Submission Guidelines
• Sold List
• Sample Agency Contract
• If you've been offered a publishing contract already
Criteria for New Author SubmissionsKeller Media, Inc. handles ONLY nonfiction books for adults.We do NOT accept any:
• Juvenile
• Fiction
• Screenplays
• True crime
• First person stories about having overcome a medical condition or mental illness
• Autobiographies or memoirs of people who are not famous for anything
• Books that have been channeled by dead peopleIf you send us one of these topics, you won't hear back from us at all.
We would LOVE to read about your nonfiction book idea on one of these subject areas:
• Business (sales, management, marketing and finance)
• Self-Help and Pop Psychology (from how to lose weight to how to be happy, have a better marriage, be a better parent, etc.)
• Health (anything EXCEPT personal stories of illness/recovery)
• Inspirational and Metaphysical (highly selective)
• How-To (most subjects)
• Reference and Compendiums (the guidebook to...)
• History (all countries and civilizations)
• Celebrity or Very Unusual Memoirs and Bios
• Popular Culture and Current Affairs (selectively)
• Spiritual or Inspirational
Please DO NOT send hard copy manuscripts without permission. We prefer to begin with an electronic query with NO attachments. Send your one-page query briefly stating your subject and credentials, plus your contact info and website URL (if applicable) to [email protected]. If we're interested, you'll hear back within ten business days. Please DO NOT contact us in the meantime. We love you, but we're busy.
Yesterday, 12:15 AM
asorum
Benefactor Member

Thanks for the information...

Last edited:

thinkkaz

Wendy Keller

Does anyone know the truth about Wendy Keller? I have heard a few conflicting reports. I know she had a couple of major deals this past year, and she seems to have a track record w/numerous authors, but at the same time I have heard a few people mention that a writer should be hesitant with her. Does anyone have a true understanding of what she's all about?

Thanks for the help.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thinkkaz said:
Does anyone know the truth about Wendy Keller?

Um, you really should do a search before launching a new thread. I just typed in the name "Keller" and it came up with, among other things, the Index to Agents, Publishers and Others:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792&highlight=keller

You might want to check out the Newbie thread (at the top of each page of the AW Cooler) to get a handle on how stuff works here (I know it can be confusing!).

And... :welcome:

ETA: Thanks for merging the threads, Tilly.

~Nancy

Last edited:

bonniedavis

Incorrect Information About Keller Media

Misinformation seems to rule with this thread. I work with Keller Media and it isn't true that "they have a not recommended in pretty red letters on Preditors & Editors at http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealf.htm" as posted by someone on this thread.

Keller Media operates more than one business and they are more than a literary agent. Some people want training rather than representation and Keller Media offers that too. They don't charge upfront fees for many of their services.

I recommend that forum members actually call companies before making broad statements about how the company does business. If you haven't done business with them then you don't know how they work.

Wendy Keller is a very friendly and upfront person. If you'd like to know how she works with clients give her a call or send her an e-mail. She will be happy to clear up any misconceptions. You can get her contact information at http://www.KellerMedia.com.

Bonnie

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Misinformation seems to rule with this thread. I work with Keller Media and it isn't true that "they have a not recommended in pretty red letters on Preditors & Editors at http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealf.htm" as posted by someone on this thread.

Try this page: http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealk.htm

Keller Media, Inc. (formerly ForthWrite Literary Agency & Speakers Bureau): Not recommended. A literary agency. "LEARN HOW YOU CAN GET PUBLISHED AT OUR HELPFUL WEBSITE".

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
The site does read like a big sales pitch. Of course, she's also targeting nonfiction books that are probably supposed to read like a sales pitch too.

I'd say the simple fact that the site comes close to guaranteeing success is a big red flag, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be worthwhile for a non-writer who has a good idea and a specific angle.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I recommend that forum members actually call companies before making broad statements about how the company does business.

In other words, what you're saying is:

"If you heard that we're a bunch of liars, the best thing to do is just ask us. We'll give you the straight story on that one. Trust me."

If you haven't done business with them then you don't know how they work.

Evidently, someone else DID do business with them, and that's why they got red-fonted at anotherealm.com/Preditors and Editors.

If you feel that anotherealm.com and/or Preditors and Editors is/are misinformed, then perhaps you should plead your case with them (not us) to have the red font expunged. The people of this web site are wise to place a higher value on the info at that web site than upon the conflict-of-interest claims from a board newbie affiliated with the suspect literary agency.

Heck Why not?

Okay... I'm new. But after looking at all the postings, websites, etc., Keller Media, and Wendy Keller seem pretty standup to me. Wendy personally seems to have pretty solid credentials.

Granted; my submission is a long shot with Keller Media, but I'm going to send her an Email regardless. The worst she can do is say 'no thanks', then I just add her to the rejection list.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

Keller Media operates more than one business and they are more than a literary agent. Some people want training rather than representation and Keller Media offers that too. They don't charge upfront fees for many of their services.

I recommend that forum members actually call companies before making broad statements about how the company does business. If you haven't done business with them then you don't know how they work.

Wendy Keller is a very friendly and upfront person. If you'd like to know how she works with clients give her a call or send her an e-mail. She will be happy to clear up any misconceptions. You can get her contact information at http://www.KellerMedia.com.

Bonnie

Why is the sample contract gone?

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

The earlier link returned a "not found" message. Thanks. Is there a $250.00 charge for every ten submissions? Is this some kind of copy and postage fee? If so why is it charged prior to sale? It's not customary to do so, but to take any itemized expenses from the advance.

Regards,

Scott

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I didn't see anything about that submission fee, but I can tell you why it exists: So the agent can make money! Agents that sell manuscripts to publishers make money on percentage of royalties, Agents that can't sell manuscripts to publishers gotta make their money somewhere, don't they?

bonniedavis

Contact Customers To Get A Real Review

Hello everyone,

After my initial post a "Not Recommended" listing was added to Preditors & Editors at http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealf.htm. It was not there when I originally checked and it was later added because someone claimed that Keller Media had rejected their manuscript. This should not be a reason for a "Not Recommended" listing.

Victoria S: Most literary agents don't charge fees for every 10 sales attempts as you mentioned. I know Wendy Keller doesn't but I do wonder how agents make money by reading hundreds of manuscripts every month?

Momento M: Keller Media only charges for workshops. They don't charge any fees for their literary agency.

Plot Device: I was not asking that someone believe me or Keller Media when we say we didn't deserve a "Not Recommended" listing on any site. What I was saying was talk to someone who has actually contacted them. Call up an author who had a book published through them to ask how the transaction worked and what the outcome was. So many promising authors will not work with an agency that has an incorrect listing (in this situation a rejected manuscript that wasn't a good fit.) even though the agency may be a good fit for them. We have contacted Predators & Editors to have the listing removed so we're working on that.

Scott: There isn't any fees charged? The $250 charge mentioned earlier in the thread is not about Keller Media. The sample contract wasn't removed. We just did a redesign and it is on this page:

http://www.kellermedia.com/sample_contract.aspx

Havlen: Literary agents make money selling books to publishers. They should never make money from the author.

Bonnie

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After my initial post a "Not Recommended" listing was added to Preditors & Editors at http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealf.htm. It was not there when I originally checked and it was later added because someone claimed that Keller Media had rejected their manuscript. This should not be a reason for a "Not Recommended" listing.

Bonnie

You have been misinformed. This is never a reason for P&E to list an agency as NOT RECOMMENDED. Otherwise, every agency would have this listing because they have all rejected ms.

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Victoria S: Most literary agents don't charge fees for every 10 sales attempts as you mentioned. I know Wendy Keller doesn't but I do wonder how agents make money by reading hundreds of manuscripts every month?

Momento M: Keller Media only charges for workshops. They don't charge any fees for their literary agency.

Plot Device: I was not asking that someone believe me or Keller Media when we say we didn't deserve a "Not Recommended" listing on any site. What I was saying was talk to someone who has actually contacted them. Call up an author who had a book published through them to ask how the transaction worked and what the outcome was. So many promising authors will not work with an agency that has an incorrect listing (in this situation a rejected manuscript that wasn't a good fit.) even though the agency may be a good fit for them. We have contacted Predators & Editors to have the listing removed so we're working on that.

Scott: There isn't any fees charged? The $250 charge mentioned earlier in the thread is not about Keller Media. The sample contract wasn't removed. We just did a redesign and it is on this page:

http://www.kellermedia.com/sample_contract.aspx

Havlen: Literary agents make money selling books to publishers. They should never make money from the author.

Bonnie

Well said, I wish you and the agency all the luck in the world.

I cannot imagine Dave putting a not recommended on a listing because someone's MS was rejected. rejection is a fact of life in the writing 'industry'. I know he is prompt in addressing concerns about ratings and the reasons for them.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"Victoria S: Most literary agents don't charge fees for every 10 sales attempts as you mentioned. I know Wendy Keller doesn't but I do wonder how agents make money by reading hundreds of manuscripts every month?"

Well, first of all they winnow the prospects as efficiently as possible, rejecting a query when the misfit is obvious, the partial when the query deserved a favorable response, and the full when a partial left them in a quandry.

The purpose of going through as many queries as possible is to find the one out of hundreds that is a good fit, worthy of publication and within the sales capability of the agent in question.

The agent makes money on commissions, that demands the agent select what he considers he has the best chance of selling.

Regards,
Scott

xanadude

Registered
Reaction score
I met Wendy Keller about six years ago when she was teaching a Learning Annex class on finding a book agent and getting published. I liked her enthusiasm and I contacted her soon after, sending her my non-fiction book proposal. We then talked on the phone. She said that my book had a lot of potential. However, she said the proposal needed work to be taken to the next level. The cost of her helping me with the proposal would be $1,500 per month for a minimum contract of three months. I was reluctant to spend $4,500 to fine tune my proposal, but then she asked me if I was really serious about being an author. I did not pursue a working relationship with her. In the end, I found an agent who liked my proposal as it was, without changing a word. She ended up getting me a book deal, and it didn't cost me a penny.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I met Wendy Keller about six years ago when she was teaching a Learning Annex class on finding a book agent and getting published. I liked her enthusiasm and I contacted her soon after, sending her my non-fiction book proposal. We then talked on the phone. She said that my book had a lot of potential. However, she said the proposal needed work to be taken to the next level. The cost of her helping me with the proposal would be $1,500 per month for a minimum contract of three months. I was reluctant to spend $4,500 to fine tune my proposal, but then she asked me if I was really serious about being an author. I did not pursue a working relationship with her. In the end, I found an agent who liked my proposal as it was, without changing a word. She ended up getting me a book deal, and it didn't cost me a penny.

Good job, Xanadude. And welcome. :welcome:

$4,500 - and probably a lot more if that's only the minimum - for helping with a proposal? Nothing to do with the book itself? No wonder she's enthusiastic.

ETA: I really, truly, deeply despise that line, Give me lots of money to prove you're serious. Sorry; I'm serious about not being suckered, thank you. :D

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is it Just Me, or does the site perpetually load, making it impossible to click any links?

ETA: 'Twas just me; it's working today. :Hammer:

Last edited: