Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Provrb1810meggy
practical experience, FTW

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Janklow & Nesbit Associates

Kate Schafer of Janklow and Nesbit recently requested a partial from me. I found her at AgentQuery. This is her site, http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=890 I couldn't find any other website. The books it says she represented, I've actually seen them in the bookstores in the YA section, which is a good thing.

What are other's experiences with Janklow and Nesbit, specifically Ms. Schafer?
Provrb1810meggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
UrsusMinor

UrsusMinor is well-respected
I have no experience with the agent in question, but Janklow & Nesbit is one of the real powerhouse agencies in the business, and has been for many years. Janklow Senior is legendary, and his son is already making waves in the business.

The agency has serious clout.
UrsusMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
AmyC
figuring it all out

AmyC is on a distinguished road
Nothing new to add here, but she asked for a partial from me a few days ago, too. They are Highly Recommended at P&E which is a very good sign. I've got my fingers crossed on that one. Good luck to you, too.

Amy
AmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 AM   #4
Bryan Reardon
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Bryan Reardon is on a distinguished road
I know Kate. She is very nice. I submitted to her a while ago. Although I have never been repped by her, she gave me some great feedback that definitely improved my manuscript.
Bryan Reardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
madderblue
Beagle Lips.

madderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admiration
Eric Simonoff is one of my dream agents!

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He
madderblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Provrb1810meggy

Provrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for PresidentProvrb1810meggy should run for President
Woo hoo! This makes me excited. *does the my partial is w/ a legitimate agency, a highly reccomended, ultra cool agency dance*
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
AmyC
figuring it all out

Well, i'm doing my sad and dejected dance over here - I just got my rejection from Kate Schafer---at least it was very quick. I hope you have much better luck - let us know how it goes.

Amy
Old 08-17-2006, 04:04 AM   #8
Provrb1810meggy

I'm now sad and dejected also. Just got a rejection on my partial. She wasn't taken with my writing.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #9
AmyC
figuring it all out

Well, that stinks. Who's up for a beer?

Amy
Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Provrb1810meggy

Ha...I'm thirteen, so no thanks.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #11
AmyC
figuring it all out

Red face

Sorry - didn't mean to promote drinking to minors!!! Somehow, I'm even more depressed now.

Amy
Old 08-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #12
Alan Yee
Pride Sheep

Alan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As far as I know, Lynn Nesbit of Janklow and Nesbit is Anne Rice's agent. That mean's they're legit.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
UrsusMinor

UrsusMinor is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Yee
As far as I know, Lynn Nesbit of Janklow and Nesbit is Anne Rice's agent. That mean's they're legit.
Yes, and I believe Mort Janklow is William Goldman's agent. Their client list goes on forever.

AmyC and Provrb, I understand your dejection, but the fact that you got your foot in the door there is a very good sign. Keep your chins up.
UrsusMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kate Schafer rejected my full a few years back; does that mean I can have a drink with you too?

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #15
AmyC
figuring it all out

December Quinn, as long as you're at least 21, please have one on me! I think everybody who's legal deserves to indulge in some kind of vice upon receiving a rejection!!

Ursus Minor, thanks for the kind words. I didn't realize they repped William Goldman - he is one of my absolute favorite writers of all time.

I'm happy to say that I queried Rebecca Gradinger there just after I got my rejection and she has requested a partial. So, with one rejection, another partial goes in.

Fingers crossed (once again!),

Amy
Old 08-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #16
TeddyG
The Other Shoe Will Fall!

TeddyG should run for PresidentTeddyG should run for PresidentTeddyG should run for PresidentTeddyG should run for PresidentTeddyG should run for PresidentTeddyG should run for President
If that is Mort Janklow's agency...
you have nothing to ask about...
you are talking about the creme de la creme
& Win $50 Amazon GC In The Great Cake Recipe Contest

TeddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 AM   #17
Provrb1810meggy

Does anyone know if Rebecca Gradinger would be open to a YA submission?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #18
AmyC
figuring it all out

Yes, Rebecca Gradinger does accept submissions for YA. She looked at mine recently. She rejected it, but she was very nice and professional. Good luck.

Amy
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 AM   #19
andracill

andracill is on a distinguished road
Kate Schafer just requested a partial from me, as well...I'd get all excited (well, I am), but I've had a number of very respected agents request partials/fulls, but no offers so far
andracill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:53 AM   #20
nygirl

nygirl is on a distinguished road
Rebecca Gradinger is on maternity leave.
nygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #21
RJ_Anderson
Pro F&SF Author for ages 10+

RJ_Anderson is on a distinguished road
Does Janklow & Nesbit accept fantasy (YA and/or adult)? I was unable to find a website for their agency, just a lot of references on other pages. Kate Schafer's AQ page says she accepts YA, but no more detail than that...
RJ_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #22
genrewriter

genrewriter is on a distinguished road
Richard Morris' AQ page says he accepts fantasy, but I don't know if he reads YA.
genrewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #23
jamiehall
Bereaved Snarkling

jamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admirationjamiehall has earned our admiration
Agent Kristin Nelson has a blog post here where she praises Kate Schafer (formerly of Janklow & Nesbit) who just set up her own agency here.
jamiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM   #24
Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman has a spectacular auraSpiny Norman has a spectacular aura
Querying Luke Janklow when I get home... Fingers crossed...
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #25
DustyFeathers

DustyFeathers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madderblue View Post
Eric Simonoff is one of my dream agents!
Yours and mine too. He asked for a partial and never replied, by the way. I think he's terrific, but he just is too busy to reply sometimes. I mean he NEVER replied.
DustyFeathers is offline   Reply With Quote