• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie Publishers, Ltd.

Nightwatch

I had opened a campaign sometime ago in regard to a lawsuit against Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie Publishers (UK) -with whom I had a traditional publishing contract at that time- which had cost me significant damages, arising from the failure to respond to market demand adequately in distribution of my previous book. During this time, I have received enormous support in this matter. I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I am still in the process of suing the publisher for the past losses, with whom I have no longer any business relation. As they say, the wheels of this process (legal suit) are in motion, and undoubtedly may take some time. But I am fortunate enough that I have a new book published and another one is having its finishing touches. Publishing is difficult as we all know, but at least we have friends. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I have to say I've never received any loyalty, at all, ever, from the sale of any book.

I think loyalty is too much to expect.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
I have to say I've never received any loyalty, at all, ever, from the sale of any book.

I think loyalty is too much to expect.

Hey, it's impolite to make fun of speech impemidents imdepemipents problems.

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
victoriastrauss said:
Ummm...Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie is a vanity publisher. The demand for money shouldn't have been surprising.

- Victoria

Oh.. that must have been the "Traditional Contract" bit...

pete-awes

has anyone else had any dealings with this company?
I sent a quety letter to them and they have just asked me to send my manuscript for review.
so i would like to know if anyone else has any good or bad coments about pegasus before i go any further with them.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
pete-awes said:
has anyone else had any dealings with this company?
I sent a quety letter to them and they have just asked me to send my manuscript for review.
so i would like to know if anyone else has any good or bad coments about pegasus before i go any further with them.

Victoria already mentioned that they were a vanity publisher. Nightwatch posted details of how they allegedly operate.

That would do for me.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Imprints: Pegasus, Vanguard Press, Nightingale Books, and Chimera

Vanities all. See Index for previous discussion(s).

Research BEFORE you query.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That Chimera should not be confused with the UK one which publishes erotica.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You mean Chimera Publishing Ltd of Waterlooville? I'll bet my knickers it's a deliberate attempt to confuse.

bluebaloo79

Registered
Reaction score
Any new news about this company?

Can you tell me if there has been any new news about this company this year. I see the last post was last year. I have been offered by this company to send them my novel for consideration.

Thanx

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell me if there has been any new news about this company this year.

Are you suggesting that they might have stopped being a vanity publisher in the past year? That seems unlikely to me.

bluebaloo79

Registered
Reaction score
I only ask because I was informed that they have a vanity imprint and a traditional imprint.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen any Pegasus books in bookshops or in the dealers room at UK conventions. Have you?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
bluebaloo79:
I only ask because I was informed that they have a vanity imprint and a traditional imprint.

Which one are they offering you?

Commercial publishers get books into shops and don't need a vanity imprint to make money from desparate writers. If I were you, I'd look elsewhere.

MM

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

And do bookstores know the difference? Or do they not stock the company's books (since I'm not in the UK, I don't know, but others on the thread seem to indicate that they don't)?

And would the agents or publishers you approach in the future know the difference? Or would they see the name and assume you had been vanity published?

I'm just not seeing what the benefit would be of signing a contract with a publisher that's known as a vanity publisher, even if the contract itself is an advance-paying, royalty-paying contract.

theskyfullofdust

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theskyfullofdust.co.uk
I just rejected a contributionary contract from these as well. I had no idea, to begin with, that they were vanity publishers; then I got the contract and was disappointed by what I saw.

I then asked Neil Gaiman what he thought, and he pointed me here, and I see that I was right to be suspect.

A publisher should be paying us writers for our work, not the other way round (unless you're into self-publishing, which doesn't have the same impact).

Plus, I looked at the books they had published and while I have no idea if the actual stories are any good, the book covers were awful (I can do better on my computer, and I know very little of graphic design) and none of them I recall seeing in major bookstores.

I'd avoid this company.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
Geez...I read this thread too late. I went to http://pegasuspublishers.com/submissions.php was duly impressed by the titles on their site. I sent in my query in. Lo and Behold, John Pollard from PEM responded requesting for my MS. Being an unknown novelist with a 145400 words transgender baggage, I thought what the hey. Let's give this guy a try. Besides, it only cost me 60 singapore dollars (30 euros) to send them my full MS. I have a money printer in my tiny studio apartment which was rejected as a halfway home for inmates because it fell 20 cubic meters short of the prison specifications; there goes my side income. I will keep the board posted on this potential sordid tale.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
From their site:

Frequently, book publishing by many of the larger publishers only relates to established writers and those with individual celebrity status.

I call bull puckey. New and unknown authors are signed to big publishers every. single. day. With their first book? Sometimes, but usually not. Most writers write several books before they have one good enough to sell. It's called practice.

It's not that publishers only publish well-knowns and celebrities. They only publish books they think will sell many copies. Most times, that's not your book. 99.8% of all submissions are rejected. Sometimes it's not your book, but that you've submitted it to the wrong people. Try again.