Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'll say up front that I've never read a Dean Koontz book. Oh, I know about his work, but have never read one. So, when I was shopping and looking for a horror/suspense/thriller, I looked over Koontz's books on the rack, read the back cover, the first paragraph, and bought Life Expectancy.

I'm only about halfway through it right now, but I've pretty much enjoyed all of it. It moves very quickly, and the characters are really memorable. I had the character of Konrad Beezo (what a great name!) in my head for a couple days, and Punchinello Beezo is also very well drawn.

I like Koontz's no-nonsense approach. I'm more used to the meanderings of Stephen King and Michael Crichton (not that I don't enjoy the meanderings). I've found King and Crichton to overwrite much of the time, but Koontz doesn't do that.

Regarding Life Expectancy, my only complaint so far is this: the main character, Jimmy Tock, knows that something terrible was supposed to happen on the particular day in 1994. His whole family knows; the dates have been written down since the day he was born.

So what does he do that day? He goes off and runs his errands: the bank, library, and dry cleaners (never getting past the library). He KNOWS something bad was going to happen; he even took a week off from work. Yet, he went out that day anyway.

I was really into the story, and when he went out in his car to run his errands, I was practically yelling at him not to. He could have waited one more day to go out. But he didn't.

It seemed to me that he went out for the sake of the plot, instead of any "real-world" reason.

Other than that, terrific book. I like Koontz's writing style.

allen

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I read this about a year ago. I enjoyed it a lot and have recommended it to a few friends. However, it had a different feel for me than some of his previous work. I stopped reading him about ten years ago, mostly because I took a hiatus from horror to pursue other genres, but also because of the intense graphic nature of his horror. He is fantastic at getting into the head of the antagonist as well as the M.C, and this made for some disturbing scenes.
Back to Life Expectancy. I thought this one was much lighter than some of his early books. I loved the humor and there was a positive upbeat air about it that I enjoyed. And as always, his vivid characters were unique and left a lasting impression. One of my favorite things about his writing.
I know what you're talking about when you mention the foolishness of Jimmy Tock going about his errands in spite of impending danger, but I thought his motivations were well addressed and believable in the story. I think many would do the same thing. But I'm going to dig out the book tonight and skim back through to refresh my memory.

Aubiefan

Registered
Reaction score
I read this book about a year ago and really enjoyed it. I have read quite a bit of Dean Koontz, and I agree that it has a lighter tone than some of his other work. He is very skilled when it comes to including humor even into tense plots.

His characters do tend to be reckless, Jimmy Tock included. Has anyone read the Odd Thomas books, Odd Thomas and Forever Odd? Odd does a lot of things that really aren't that believable (beyond the fact that he sees dead people).

I do highly recommend Life Expectancy, it was one of the first few books by Koontz that I read and it is still in my top three favorites of his work.

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh, I read, and enjoyed, odd Thomas. Haven't caught the sequel yet.

Aubiefan

Registered
Reaction score
P.H.Delarran said:
Ohh, I read, and enjoyed, odd Thomas. Haven't caught the sequel yet.

I heard there is a third one coming out at some point, also, it looks like he's turning it into a series, although I don't think it was his intention when he wrote the first one. I heard an interview with him, and he said Odd is his favorite character he's created so far.

I wish he would hurry up and publish the third and final Frankenstein book, I loved the first two!

A. Hamilton

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Aubiefan said:
I wish he would hurry up and publish the third and final Frankenstein book, I loved the first two!
I just started the first one. Looks good so far but I'm on chapter one.

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed Expectancy and the first two Odd Thomas books but my favourite book by Koonz is Lightining.

I've lost count of the number of times I read the books - my copy is starting to look ratty- and even though I know what's going to happen, I still enjoy reading it.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Bamponang said:
I enjoyed Expectancy and the first two Odd Thomas books but my favourite book by Koonz is Lightining.

I've lost count of the number of times I read the books - my copy is starting to look ratty- and even though I know what's going to happen, I still enjoy reading it.

Me too. I finally had to buy a new copy of it because mine was really bad. I need to catch up on his books; I haven't bought a new one by him in a while, although I did read the first Odd Thomas book.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I finished LE today. I have to admit, I didn't see the major plot twist coming at all, that Jimmy was really Punchinello's twin brother and separated at birth. That was unexpected, to say the least.

Here's my complaint about that, though. Jimmy and Lorrie went to the prison to meet with Punchinello to tell him that Jimmy was really his brother, and they brought Charlene, the nurse who was present at Jimmy's birth, who told the story.

But, Koontz never told us why, after thirty years, Charlene suddenly contacted Jimmy out the blue to tell him the real truth. The whole thing kind of came out of left field. It would have been nice to know why Charlene had come out of nowhere to tell Jimmy the truth of his birth. Jimmy certainly could never have found out on his own. It seemed . . . too convenient.

Otherwise, a very enjoyable book. Evil clowns and aerialists. Never would have expected that.

allen