Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Fern
practical experience, FTW

Fern is a glorious beacon of lightFern is a glorious beacon of light
Is it Pike or Pipe?

Which is it? "Everything coming down the pike" or "everything coming down the pipe"?

I always thought "pike". Lately, I've heard people saying "pipe".
Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
alleycat
Thinking.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think "pipe" is used chiefly in Britain, while "pike" is more common in the US. I can't cite any references however.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Variant Frequencies
Podcaster

Variant Frequencies is on a distinguished road
I wasn't sure either, so I did a search. It looks like there's not a lot of agreement on this. Lots of hits on Google for either one. I thought this site had an interesting discussion, complete with origins for both. For what it's worth.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
newmod

newmod is on a distinguished road
Im from London and, for what its worth, Ive never heard this expression, with pipe or pike, referring to something coming to prominence

Can anyone give me a context for when you would use this?

Cheers,
newmod
newmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Becky Writes
Go Tarheels!

Becky Writes is on a distinguished road
I am an American, from the Southestern US, and I have never heard this phrase either.

However, my DH is from a town in Ohio where the main drag is Pike Street. I've gone down that pike many times.

www.rebeccabbottmiller.com
Becky Writes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't use this expression, although I think I've heard of it. I would imagine it would be pipe. I just can't picture stuff "coming down the fish".
Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
MidnightMuse
Midnight Reading

MidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've heard it as "pike" a lot. Now and again I'll hear someone use "pipe", but I don't know if one or the other is right or wrong.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
Kate Thornton
Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere

Kate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://www.crawforddirect.com/worldfair14.htm

Here's a picture of the Pike -
Kate Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
MMo

MMo is a glorious beacon of lightMMo is a glorious beacon of lightMMo is a glorious beacon of light
Pike is a term for road. I live near "Old Pike Road" whereupon the pike was the way to get over the mountains to the next town. It is the parent for part of the word "turnpike." If something is coming, it is more than likely coming down the pike, and faster than it can come over the fields or through the woods, or even down the path or lane.

Mo
Old 09-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ah. Must be an American thing. No wonder I wasn't getting it right (and picturing a fish in the process).

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #11
MidnightMuse
Midnight Reading

MidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Although picturing "it" coming over a fish is more fun
Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMo
Pike is a term for road.
I've heard of TURNpike. Can't say I've ever heard a road called a PIKE before though.

I love words but I dont like strange ones. You dont understand them and they dont understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know em the minute you see em. -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #13
alleycat
Thinking.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pike has been another name for road for a long time.

Now, is it "pig in a poke" or "pig in a pike"?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #14
persiphone_hellecat
Banned

Location: NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HELL every fall and winter.
persiphone_hellecat leaves trails of profuse coolnesspersiphone_hellecat leaves trails of profuse coolnesspersiphone_hellecat leaves trails of profuse coolnesspersiphone_hellecat leaves trails of profuse coolnesspersiphone_hellecat leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret
I've heard of TURNpike. Can't say I've ever heard a road called a PIKE before though.
Actually I believe if you were writing the phrase out it would be "Down the 'pike" - an abbreviated version of turnpike... Much like you would say Get 'em. It is a colloquialism that probably started out as a regional expression.
persiphone_hellecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
alleycat
Thinking.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiphone_hellecat
Actually I believe if you were writing the phrase out it would be "Down the 'pike" - an abbreviated version of turnpike...
And the dictionary would disagree with you, since pike is listed as its own word, meaning a turnpike, but not as an abbreviation for turnpike.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:21 PM   #16
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've always heard it as "something's coming down the pipe" and also "what's in the pipeline?"

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
SeanDSchaffer

I've always heard it as "Coming down the Pike".

I'm an American, from the Pacific Northwest. I am pretty sure I have never heard it with the word 'Pipe', before.

But that does not mean anything. People in other parts of the same city I live in talk completely differently than I do. I think it's a matter of dialect, personally.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #18
Fern

Thanks for all the answers, y'all. I felt sure one or the other would be the "correct" way to say it. Appears either is acceptable, depending on your area, etc.

I always thought it had something to do with coming down a mountain, such as over the mountain pass. . . once a pass was cleared, it was much easier to get down, so "everybody & his dog" then came down the pike.

I equated it with some of the other old sayings meaning you don't know what you might get, i.e.:

She'll sleep with anything in britches (or breeches).
He'll take up with any old Tom, Dick and Harry.
You never know what's coming down the Pike.

The World's Fair thing certainly sounds like a plausible explanation. . .especially after looking at that link.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:34 AM   #19
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you look at old maps, there are a lot of pikes - it was the common term for a road (which wasn't used). Mo did a good job in his response up the thread.

Maestro, you are correct about things in the pipeline. But pike and pipe (as in pipeline) are very different.

Fern, if you're writing something historical set in the US, you need to use Pike. Puma
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:36 AM   #20
johnnysannie
Seanachie

johnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputation
"Pike" is the original term as in "coming down the pike". Pike is an old name for road or throughfare.

"Pipe" in this usage is a malaprop; the incorrect if accidential misuse of the term in this way is malpropism.
johnnysannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #21
Fern

Thanks, Puma, and johnnysannie too.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #22
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
pike

We must have a couple of hundred roads in my state that have the name "pike" attached. It's a very common term in the eastern half of the United States. There was a time in many states when darned near every road was called a "pike."

The closest to my house is "Spiceland Pike." It's the main road, of course, that goes through Spiceland. We also have "Old Spiceland Pike," which is the road that used to be the main road through Spiceland. Both roads are small, curvy, and slow.

Most newer dictionaries get this wrong, seeming to think that "pike" is short for "Turnpike," and it isn't. Nor is a "pike" usually a broad, fast roadway, though it may have been considered such when it was built. It's most often a state highway at best, and often just a side road to a specific place.

Traditionally, a "turnpike" is actually not a road at all. It's the gate across a toll road where you pay the toll, and the term has been in use for at least four hundred years. It's pretty hard to imagine anything coming down the turnpike, even though the road itself is now usually referred to as a "turnpike" because it has turnpikes on it. Now we just refer to the toll booth, rather than the gate.

But the expression "coming down the pike" is a very old one. Far older than modern, high speed roads, and "pike" isn't short for anything. It's just another way of saying "coming down the road."
Jamesaritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #23
Peggy

Peggy is a splendid one to beholdPeggy is a splendid one to beholdPeggy is a splendid one to behold
I always heard it as "coming down the pike", but didn't really know what a "pike" was until I moved to the Boston area, where the Mass Pike goes right through the city and across the state. In that case "pike" is short for "turnpike".
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:38 PM   #24
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Excellent response and explanation, James. Thank you for continually helping everyone with all the different types of grammatical and usage questions. It was strange but our Columbus (Ohio) paper yesterday had a map from an accident scene and one of the roads shown was a Pike. Ohio has quite a few Pikes too. Puma
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote