The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I read this book back when I was 16 because there was as version of the book in film that starred Richard Chamberlain and I was so in love with him that I clung to the words of the book imagining it was him the whole time. It was GREAT!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I read this too and enjoyed it. Casi...it shows that somebody else started this thread, but that you replied to it...with 0 replies? What gives. Ghost in the machine? Did you start the thread?

Spirit_Fire

Slow-burning Muse
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of my favourites. How cool it would be to be the Count of Monte Cristo - the richest, most eccentric person EVER.

Anybody who hasn't read it - get it and read it.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
KTC said:
I read this too and enjoyed it. Casi...it shows that somebody else started this thread, but that you replied to it...with 0 replies? What gives. Ghost in the machine? Did you start the thread?
Honest Kev I didn't start it. I clicked on and thought what the heck? Where is the first post?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Interesting. Anyway...it's a good book. I guess the original poster must have deleted the thread as you were replying?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
One of the great novels of all time, by any standard, and clearly Dumas' best. I read it about 15 years ago, in Europe, including a couple of hours of quiet sitting on a rock outside the Chateau d'If, off the harbor of Marseille, where Dumas' hero Edmond Dantes was imprisoned. Cherished experience.

caw.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I just read this about a month ago. Enjoyed it immensly.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
This is my most favourite book ever, bar none :) I think I first read it when I was about 8 or 9 - it was a Sinhalese translation. Loved it ever since then and have read several versions since then (different abridged versions and one full English translation). I've seen several movie versions as well, including the one which starred Richard Chamberlain and Tony Curtis :) The book never ceases to thrill me and to make me think. In fact, it is so embedded in my brain that I was thinking of doing a science fiction version of it - got the story planned at least halfway but got too many other things (and too many other ideas) to do before I get to it :)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I love this book. Not my favourite ever, many books are battling that space, but it's in my top ten. Well written and full of tension it's a perfect construction, everything comes together, it's a puzzle with all loose ends tied up in the end and it's just pure pleasure to read.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I adore this book. So much passion of every kind within the story.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Better than Musketeers, in my opinion. Which is not a knock on d'Artagnan and the boys, just that Monte Cristo carries a far more universally powerful theme, one that elevates it above any of the other novels of Dumas with which I'm familiar (Iron Mask, various sequels to Musketeers, The Black Tulip), and puts it in my view among the great moral dilemma novels of the 19th Century. In that regard, Monte Cristo is to Musketeers what Huck Finn is to Tom Sawyer.

caw

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Basically what blacbird said :) The Count of Monte Cristo has much broader appeal on so many more levels than The Three Musketeers. I enjoyed The Three Musketeers but years later, I simply remember it as an adventure yarn. But the Count? Ah, I remember it as so much more - there's betrayal, there's friendship, there's love, there's intrigue, there's mystery and overall, there's the grand theme of how our actions can come to haunt us or help us. It's brilliant, just brilliant :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have to, shamelessly, admit that I have never read the book, but have seen countless TV and film adaptations. It's a classic story of betrayal, revenge, justice, love, friendship, mystery, twist of fate, reversal of fortune... The story is so ridiculously marvelous and fascinating that I am so eternally jealous of Dumas for coming up with it. Great characters too -- the motivations and desires are so clear and strong, and the conflicts so real. The tale is timeless.

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
The film versions do the book no justice!

If you've seen either of the film versions and loved them, well you may not want to read the book because you'll never be able to watch the movies again. At least that's the way it was for me. I too loved (and still do like a bit) the version with Richard Chamberlain, which inspired me to read the book. What I found is that the only things they shared in common really was the name of the story and the characters. After Dantes escapes from the Chateu Dif (excuse my spelling), the story was COMPLETELY different in the book. I have to admit though, it is hard to think of Mondego without picturing Tony Curtis! I had trouble not seeing Richard Chamberlain as Dantes, even though his physical description in the book is drastically different (ie, clean shaven, with jet black hair in spite of his age).

I have to say I was thrilled when I heard they remade the movie a few years ago, and was subsequently appauled when I saw it. I mean, why is it Hollywood cannot take a priceless story and tell it the way it was written? It's infuriating for me to see my favorite stories butchered on the big screen (don't even get me started on what the movie "Troy" did to "The Illiad!").

Ok, enough ranting. I realize we are talking about the books, and not their movies. I have to say that The Count of Monte Cristo was one of the first "classic" books I read, and is still one of my favorites to this day. It is by far the ultimate story of revenge, one that I personally have never seen bested.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
army_grunt13 said:
It is by far the ultimate story of revenge, one that I personally have never seen bested.

. . . which is made all the better by the revelation of the corrosiveness revenge ultimately wreaks on the revenger, and the intriguingly open ending.

I agree about the movies. This novel seems made to be the base for a movie, and they just keep wrecking it every time they try.

I am, by the way, highly gratified that so many people here have both read this book and regard it so highly. Maybe my judgment isn't quite as bad as I thought it was.

caw.

henriette

Registered
Reaction score
there is a wonderful french mini series starring gerard depardieu in his many disguises. highly recommended if you can find it! :)

this book (unabridged, of course) is one of my all time faves, a true epic.
i hope that one day my french will be good enough so i can read it in its original language.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Film versions?

The BBC made a television adaptation of the novel with Alan Badel as the count back in the 1960s. It was true to the novel and up to the usual BBC brilliant level of adaptation of the classics.

It's a wonderful book isn't it? Pure melodrama in the classical sense of melodrama.

Do you really think the ending is so open? I always think, on reading it, that there's a strong sense of the possibility of remorse. That revenge is indeed a hollow dish and the count is clever enough to know it. What will he do with his life now that his sole aim for surviving in and escaping from prison has gone? What will he do now that he has manipulated events and heaped down coals on his transgressors?

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
pdr said:
What will he do now that he has manipulated events and heaped down coals on his transgressors?

Have a beer, maybe? :e2drunk: Let us not forget that he viewed Albert and Valentine as his own children, plus he had his Royal Greek ladyfriend (I can't remember her name) so he wasn't alone in the world by any means. The way the book ends, Dumas leaves it up to the reader to interpret what he or she thinks happens to Dantes, since it is human nature to place ourselves in the roles of the heroes in our stories. So I think "what would I do in Edmond's shoes?" Me, I'd get a hobby. . .

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
Since we're on the subject of Dumas. . .

I know everyone has heard of The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask, but how many people know that these are in fact part of a trilogy? It baffled me to find out that there was a book in between called "Twenty Years After." There was a great movie loosely based on the book called "Return of the Musketeers" with Richard Chamberlain, Michael York, and Oliver Reed. It's a comedy in a number of ways, doesn't follow the book very much, but doesn't have any pretensions of doing so.

Anybody else ever read this one?

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Actually, the third novel in the series is "Vicomte De Bragellone" :) I believe "The Man in the Iron Mask" is actually a volume in the three volume "Vicomte De Bragellone". I've read all three but I don't like the other two as much as I liked "The Three Musketeers".

ETA - Actually, the version of "Vicomte De Bragellone" (or "The Man in the Iron Mask" as the movie was - and I believe always has been - called) that I really liked was the old Selznick Classics version but that was nothing like the book, if I recall correctly :)

Hmm ... looks as if I was wrong. Did some checking and the version of "The Man in the Iron Mask" that I'm thinking about was not produced by David Selznick :p The one I'm thinking about (I think) is the 1977 version with Richard Chamberlain.

Last edited: