Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
...that we are missing a thread on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. I put down my rum and stared straight into his dark bleeding Samoan eyes.

"You can't be serious man," I screamed, "That book is genius. A Doctor of Journalism searching for the American Dream. The American Dream! Do you hear me man?"

He smiled slowly then retuned to calmly nursing his Don Rios Gold.

"As your attorney, I recommend you take some more mescaline. And AT LEAST one more hit off the nitros. It's going to be a long night and you are going to need to drive the Great Red Shark yourself"

This great, maddening Somoan bastard was right and I knew it. I gobbled down two more hits of mescaline for good measure, and fished through the glove box for the nitros, waiting for the other fans to show...

:)

Last edited:

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
It was, and still is, the only book that made me laugh out loud while reading it. The Hell's Angels is a pretty fine piece of writing as well.

You ought to pick it up agian. I just read it for a second time a month ago and it is even better the second time round.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

I'm about 100 pages in, and I don't see what all the hooplah is about. So far, i've come across a number of funny lines, but the rest of it chalks up to the babbling of somebody who is constantly tripping on acid. And even if he was doing all the drugs he says he did (which I don't believe for a second), I don't see why he has to write a book about it. And yet all my friends love the book and rave endlessly about how "deep" it is.

Am I alone in my bewilderment? Does it get better towards the end?