Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
rwam
practical experience, FTW

rwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admiration
What exactly is the 'family saga' genre?

I often see 'family saga' listed as a genre (usually as a sub-genre within commercial fiction) and am wondering....what are the typical key elements within a novel that just scream 'family saga'?

Rob
rwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
aghast

aghast is well-respected
think godfather
aghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghast
think godfather
Well, technically, yes, though that's not what I first think of when I think family saga!

"Family Saga" implies several generations of one family, all interacting. The story might start in the 1930's and end up with the great-grandchildren of that family in modern times. A great example is The Forsyte Saga.
They are usually big, fat, luscious books, with a big family mansion in the centre of the action, and a gorgeous landscape. Susan Howatch wrote several family sagas set in Cornwall, Wales, Ireland.
Usually they are not as bloody as the Godfather. Mostly gentle, sometimes melodramatic action though there may be a murder and several deaths - but that is not the centre of the story. One or several love stories take place in a family saga, but again, that is not the main focus. The focus is the family as a unit, and usually the place/

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
rwam

rwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admirationrwam has earned our admiration
Thanks, Aruna. What about something that's based solely in the present, but deals a lot with a man unraveling family history & deals with a family legacy? Would that be something I can call a family saga?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwam
Thanks, Aruna. What about something that's based solely in the present, but deals a lot with a man unraveling family history & deals with a family legacy? Would that be something I can call a family saga?
A family saga is usually long. If he is unravelling the family history you'll have to go back in time - and dramatise that history, ie bring in other characters etc.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwam
Good question. My impression is that family sagas usually involve multiple generations of the same family--so I would (cautiously) guess not.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Family saga may have many generations or most of one life in the context of the family past and/or future family. It is typically set in a tumultuous period in history and the individual story interacts with the historical events. So Little House on the Prairie, but also Flags of Our Fathers.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
rwam

Thanks, Gang....I think that's enough to tell me mine is probably not a 'family saga'.