• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Willing beta readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll sign up to read and am okay with everything from work in progress to final draft.

I like fantasy, Golden Age science fiction, mysteries.

I do not like horror, erotica or excessive profanity.

ETA: Temporarily unavailable, 'till I catch up on things.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I'd be happy to beta for someone, preferably in the latter stages of production. I love historical / paranormal / romance. Don't mind erotica, profanity, or violence. Not keen on military epics.

Unavailable for the time being... the Muse finally returned and I've got four waiting! :)

Last edited:

inanna

Queen of Typos
Registered
Reaction score
Not available at the moment, sorry. Will update when I am.

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready to beta-read and exchange beta-reading. My preferences are SF,F and H, historicals, mysteries. I don't gross out easy, so erotica, rough language is no problem. I'll read military fiction quite happily.

I'll drop a couple submissions as well.

Scott

angrybarcode

Whisper me prose, or just scream words in my ear

Deleted at user's request.

Last edited by a moderator:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The following posts are from members who have expressed interest in beta reading for individuals. Feel free to add your own name if you'd also consider reading for someone!

Please note: Many of these posts have been split from the original Beta Reader Challenge thread.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to be a beta reader, and I will be looking for beta's as well in the near future. I read fantasy, SF, horror, mystery, supernatural, and YA if it falls into one of these genres. I'm not particularly prudish about sex, but I doubt that I would make a very good reader for Erotica (no offense intended).

UPDATE (9-1-07):

1. I don't do line-editing. Grammar, spelling, and punctuation is are no, is ... are? your job should be checked by the author. I've got enough of my own to do.
2. Don't send me your manuscript until you are certain that it is written to the best of your abilities, and ready to be presented to an agent or publisher. I don't want to help you write it, I just want to help you make it better.
3. I prefer to read the entire manuscript, rather than batches of chapters or scenes.
4. I may respond via a steady flow of email messages as I read each chapter or section of your story, or, I may read the entire thing and send one big email at the end. The latter usually occurs with manuscripts that are very highly polished, and about which I have very little useful advice to offer.
5. When I read, I am primarily concerned with all the major story elements: plot consistency and plausibility, pace and rising tension, POV shifts, character development, etc. blahblahblah, and so on. If you have some specific issues that you want me to pay particular attention to (head-hopping, for example) be sure and let me know.
6. If something about your story really impresses me, I'll mention it. Otherwise, I'm not one to hand out a lot of compliments and praise. I'm more of a "just the facts, ma'am" sort of beta reader.
7. I cannot, at this point, legitimately call myself a professional writer. I have been writing, and studying the craft of writing, for nearly twenty years, and of course, I am an avid reader. I believe that I am qualified to help fellow writers improve their stories--else I wouldn't offer to do it--but of course, all I really have to offer are somewhat biased, largely subjective opinions. If something that I point out or suggest clicks with you, well, alright then. On the other hand, if it sounds like I am talking out of my ass, I may well be. No harm done. Light a match, and let's move on.

:)

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
It's summer...I'm way too busy right now. :)

I'll repost when things slow down.

Last edited:

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in beta reading non-fiction, book-length manuscripts (memoirs [essay style, literary narrative, or a combination] and how-to.). I am NOT interested in academic style pieces. I can offer feedback on flow, tone, unclear phrasing, missing elements, etc. Please allow up to four weeks for the reading, but most likely, I can get it done in two to three weeks.

Since someone asked me, "How much do you charge?" I am not charging for this. I'm doing it for the love of the craft; I love to read; it helps me with my writing; and for good karma. We're in this together.

**** Currently beta-reading a memoir. I'm not available at this time.****

Last edited:

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested in trying out beta reading.
I do not mind profanity, violence or sex as long as there is a reason for it [ but there always is.:)
I like to read mainstream, contemporary, humor fiction. Even literary goes.

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in being a beta-reader for a fantasy novel.

I would prefer authors that are planning to try to publish their work.
I would prefer manuscripts that are polished and near final draft (as opposed to work-in-process).
Be warned that I'm not so familiar with YA (although I'm willing to give it a shot).
Be warned that I'm not a fan of "traditional" elves 'n' dragons fantasy (although I'm up for a twist on the concept).
I have no problem with sex, violence, language, or other adult themes in moderation.

I've beta-read a half-dozen novels before (through Critters); the best results (I felt) were where author and reader had a dialogue going throughout the process.

Finally, be warned that there's a good chance I'll ask you to reciprocate at some later time. You don't have to commit, and "some later time" is nebulous, but there you have it.

If you're interested, PM me.

I'm currently unavailable for beta-reading.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Happy to beta-read fantasy, sci-fi, romance, contemporary, YA, erotica, mystery, etc. Non-fiction, not sure. Articles, short fiction, etc, ok.

Full disclosure: I am probably not the best choice for Christian writing.

Please let me know up front if you need feedback within a certain timeframe.

Update 07-02: Not available for beta reading except for short stories and articles right now...husband's home from deployment, and I'm trying to use what spare time I have to work on my own stuff. But I'll be back once I'm caught up!! :)

Last edited:

Addy

I'm go for most fiction, except for maybe erotica. I'm a foreigner, and English's not my native tongue; if that's a problem, let me know.

I don't mind reading first drafts and works in progress, but I don't have a whole lot of time available, so shorter pieces or fragments might be better in my case.

Adriano

mlally

I would be willing to read your writings. I'm up for almost anything. I do not like horror, but other than that give me a try.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
What if I want in too?

The following posts are from members who have expressed interest in beta reading for individuals. Feel free to add your own name if you'd also consider reading for someone!

Hi Katiemac!
What if I dare to say this aloud...I am in too. I myself write rather much about human relationships and love. I don't like reading about violence, though. And academic writing is a bit too hard for me to read.

TB4me2000

scribbling in the deep south
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brittanymtaylor.wordpress.com
Hi everyone,

I'd be willing to Beta, too. I'm interested in mainstream, romance, historical (love historical, although I may not be able to catch historical inaccuracies), chicklit, YA, some fantasy (I'm addicted to HP but I hated..dag nammit, what's it called...erm...The Neverending Story! Ding ding ding!), and I'm kind of getting interested in horror (but I have a very overactive imagination and I like to sleep, so nothing incredible horrific. Horror-light. Dark fiction, something like that ;). Oh, and if you have any HP fanfic (gasp) I'll beta that too ;) What? It's summer break, time to have fun while I can...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've got some free time over the summer so I'll toss myself on the beta reader pile. I read mostly anything, although I probably wouldn't do any women's fiction or science fiction justice.

I like Word's track changes feature, so that's probably how I'd swap you my thoughts. Just PM me with a short synopsis (think back of the jacket blurb), if you'd like.

*Currently unavailable

Last edited:

krano

Registered
Reaction score
i'll read the first ten pages of a screenplay. any genre, except cheap, torture flicks.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I'd be willing to be a beta reader for someone. I'm interested in fantasy, horror, mystery, erotica, paranormal romance, YA, and short fiction.

I have no problem with sex, violence, language, etc. I'm a big girl. I can take it ;)

Also, I saw someone put a disclaimer on their post about religious lit, so I guess I should put something like that as well. I'm agnostic, but have studied religious/cultural lore rather voraciously for a decade or so. While I'm likely not the best to give praise on a strictly religious text, I might be able to offer insight as to whether or not the thread you're writing on is "historically" correct.

Anyway, PM me if you have something you'd like me to read.

airforceauthor

Board Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE: Been deployed to the middle east for the last six months so a huge SORRY to the people who PMd me for a beta...I just didnt check AW, period. But I'm back now, and back at it!! (12/31/08)

I would like to read complete works, not WIPs, just so I know where it's going. PLEASE, no spelling/grammar errors.

Easier for me to list what I DONT want to read: short stories, non-fiction, children's, screenplay, historical fiction, chick-lit. Not a huge fan of the whole elves-gnomes-wizard fantasy sub-genre either, and unless it has a nice twist, I probably dont want to read anything centered around religion.

I'm not squeamish - I was born in Los Angeles, so any material is okay with me (curse all you like :) )

I LOVE thrillers, horror, suspense, fantasy, sci-fi, YA and military fiction but I'll read anything that doesnt fall in my no-no list. I'll do my best to give you a fair crit, but you may have to reciprocate some time in the future! I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi (that's a good thing here, right?) but I will give your story the attention it deserves.

PM me if you want me to Beta.

Last edited:

bethers1217

Registered
Reaction score
I'm willing to be a beta reader for anything from rough draft to final. I love anything romance, historical, YA, and some fantasy. I may not be able to catch historical errors, but I'd be willing to point out anything questionable.

I don't like reading hard core sex. The steamy but soft descriptions of loving making is perfectly fine, even if it's premarital and only a one night stand. Soft violence is alright but I'm not into extremely bad language.

PM me if you'd like my help! I love offering suggestions also if you have any ideas you need to bounce around.

Status
Not open for further replies.