The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikrpreacher

Re: Re:travis tea amazon reviews

Now, I find myself between a rock and a hard place. I want to answer, can't email, and am not supposed to talk about anything other than publishamerica on this thread.
I'm not being smart, just stating a fact. Here are some things I've wanted to say in regard to other posts today...
Ed, so glad you said that, as my 18 year old son has wanted to put your article up on his site...
I have gmail, but meant this inbox here.
I want to buy into it to get the larger email, however, no one has said when we are moving, and I don't want to spend the money and a week later, go somewhere else...
Zaz, you are absolutely right about the contract, are you referring to #2? The most misleading on the contract is paragraph #17...my opinion. But Zaz, still, a lot of the writers over there think there is an editor working on their book!
Chris

James D Macdonald

Re: Re:travis tea amazon reviews

First, from Michelle's article:

When anyone has questions, appropriate PublishAmerica staff provide the answers.

We've just been hearing that isn't quite true -- and we've all seen the accuracy of the answers PA's staff provides when they can be bothered to answer at all. (Poor Man's Copyright, etc.)

Next, Chris -- next time you have the ability to send, drop me a note with your regular email address in it. I'll send you a gmail account. When you use that, no one will accuse you of using a false name on your emails any more.

bikrpreacher

Re: The Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

I already have gmail, it's more convenient for me to use my regular email when emailing so many people. I send the emails out one at a time, (a friend of mine can get the names of all recipients, no matter how you try to do it, if he can, anyone can), now I am putting in the subject line, from bikrpreacher-Chris Bartholomew.

The PA writers who were upset about the email, they were not really upset. That was the only thing they could say about me. My name and the name of my books is at the bottom of every single message I send out, always. The name and name of books are in signature, honestly, only one person who has emailed me back has thought something different, and when I wrote to them and explained that it's at the bottom of the letter, they wrote back and said, "No, I'm not happy with PA, they lied to me."

If the only thing the writers can find fault with is that I have a husband who's name is on my emails, I'm doing pretty good.

www.publishamerica.com/cg.../11639.htm
From reading the boards, from what I am lead to believe is that Amazon, B&N etc have 30 days or maybe it is 90 days to remit pymt. So I think royalities are based on when money is received.
If I'm wrong, I'm sure some will be by to set us straight.

Can someone tell me which is true? This person and several others say publishamerica gives time to remit payment, yet I have heard PA only sends the books with payment.
The reason I ask is that it's confusing, some people KNOW their royalty checks are not correct because they only take money up-front. If they don't do it that way, you could never really know if they money you get is right or not could you...unless you knew that the only people who bought the book bought it from PA?

FM St George

Re: Library of Congress question... again

www.publishamerica.com/cg.../11653.htm

hmm...

you wanna take this one, James?

:D

"Please tell me how you get registered with the Library of Congress.
I thought it was automatically done when you
copyrighted your book.
Evidently not, because P/A is not listing it inside the book - only the fact that the book is copyrighted and the year.

I'd sure like to have it there. Would certainly look more professional. Other publishers do it."

underthecity

And again . . . . wouldn't it make more sense to contact PA about it directly instead of asking the question on the message board? Isn't that what the publisher is there for, to support its authors and answer their questions?

HB seems to have missed the point of the question entirely, "I don't know what kind of copyright you have. . . ." No, the question was about the LOC number. She SAYS she has a copyright. The only sense he makes is that she needs to contact PA and ask the question.

I just don't get that.

utc

James D Macdonald

I don't know what arrangements PA has with BN.com or Amazon.com. We do know that both of those places require the customer to pony up a credit card number before the book is ordered.

I don't know what arrangements PA has with Ingram. I do know that bookstores that order through Ingram expect net 60 or net 90 payment.

We do know that bookstores (and others) who call PA or log in to the PA website are expected to pay in advance.

Using the earlier breakdown:

Average PA author has 75 books, typically $19.95

Of those:

18 are sold via the PA store for cash up front to family and friends at $16.95.

Expected royalty $24.41, and should be paid during the next royalty payment.

37 are sold directly to the author him/herself. No royalties are paid. (Except during a Special Promotion, in which case since this is a cash-up-front deal, royalties should be paid in the next royalty payment.)

5 are sold through on-line sources (BN.com, Amazon.com, others). Unknown deal -- could be 90 days. Expected royalties $11.97

15 are sold via Brick'n' Mortar bookstores. 12 of them log on to PublishAmerica.com or call PA. They're expected to pay cash up front, and so should have royalties in the very next payment: $11.49 The other 3 are through B&N, whose relationship with PA is unclear. Assuming they've got a net-90 relationship, that's $2.87 in royalties that may be delayed to the next payment.

So:

Payable immediately: $28.44
Could be delayed: $14.84

Average income to the average PA author for the average book (individual results may vary): $43.28

Or:

Take the number of sales you "know" you made (excluding books you bought yourself). Multiply by .66. That's the number of books you should expect to get paid for on the next royalty statement.

<HR>

Please tell me how you get registered with the Library of Congress.

I think she's talking about the CIP data you want to have for libraries.

The answer is: Sorry about that. Self-and-vanity published books aren't eligible.

Zazopolis

Those are ridiculously accurate numbers.

TuppGal

Re: jiffy lube

You know, I have expectations of one day, some how being good enough to sign at the Jiffy Lube:)

tina

Sher2

Re: jiffy lube

You know, I have expectations of one day, some how being good enough to sign at the Jiffy Lube

Me, too! Wouldn't that just be a dream come true? And hey, maybe we could chuck our spouses and marry Jiffy Lube guys, write best-selling novels between lube jobs, and sell them right there in the Jiffy Lube at a huge profit. Gawd, I'm drooling at the dazzling prospects. Somebody stick me with a pin and wake me up, please.

Sherry

CaoPaux

Here's something different

An established author is asking a PAuthor of the same name to add an initial or something.

www.publishamerica.com/cg...l/2058.htm

Yet another reason to Google names you want to use (even your own), or use a publisher which will check such things out for you. :\

kelblend

I posted on it just to see if anyone bothers to acknowledge the question. I haven't posted there in a long time, so maybe no one will even know who I am. lol Then again, I don't think anyone there knew me then.:rollin

I hate that I have to turn off my firewall to post there. >:

FM St George

Pot, meet Kettle...

www.publishamerica.com/cg.../11657.htm

2/09/2005
15:49:03
Subject: Smart Publishing, Chicago

I just received news that I am being invited by Smart Publishing to submit manuscripts to them. They invite writers twice a year to submit manuscripts. The winner of the competition wins a publishing contract at no cost to the writer. My work was spotted on Rosedog.com in the Writers Showcase.

I just thought I would share that news with you.

Regards,

Barbara O'Sullivan
The King's Quinto

Carl Baxter

2/09/2005
18:03:15
RE: Smart Publishing, Chicago

Be careful, check the fine print. Make sure you check these people out before signing anything. There are a number of scam artists preying on hopeful authors. The more you post your work on the internet, the more likely you will attract unsavory attention.

CB

snarzler

GMail

If there are a few people around here with email problems, drop me a line and I'll send you a gmail invite.

Andrea 0]

afanofthetruth

Re: Folks, my article about "Atlanta Nights"...

Excellent article, Ed. I'm going to add it to my PA articles page on my website. Thanks for all that you do!

Renee

Ed Williams 3

The article.....

...I gave y'all the link to is free for anyone here to use and distribute as they see fit. Thanks for all the nice compliments, I had a great time writing it.

:D

*Before I go, Renee, thank you for being the classy lady that you are. I'm a big fan and have been for awhile!

astonwest

Re: Here's something different

"Yet another reason to Google names you want to use (even your own), or use a publisher which will check such things out for you."

I once saw two books come out of PA with the same title, identical down to the letter...can't remember that title for the life of me at the moment...

:hat
Big Daddy West

James D Macdonald

Re: Pot, meet Kettle...

I just received news that I am being invited by Smart Publishing to submit manuscripts to them. They invite writers twice a year to submit manuscripts. The winner of the competition wins a publishing contract at no cost to the writer. My work was spotted on Rosedog.com in the Writers Showcase.

You've been invited? You and everyone else with an e-mail address.

Smart Publishing

Smart Publishing ... a place so classy and well-funded that they have their homepage on Geocities, and a yahoo.com email account. The one book they list has an ISBN of 0-9761819-0-8. That tells me that they can, at most, have ten books. That book, Half Baked Sistas has three reviews -- all on websites. The book isn't listed at Amazon. It is listed at BN.Com, but it's not available. Since it came out in October, 2004 ... that gives me a bad feeling.

What's the prize? A publishing contract at no cost to the writer? Be still my heart! Publishing contracts, by their nature, don't have a cost to the writer.

But what's this? A $10 submission fee? Oh, dear. Oh, dearikins me. Don't do it. Payment from royalties only. No advance. The royalties are 7% for the first 4,000 copies? Have some pride, please.

Tell me something: Have you ever seen a book from Smart Publishing in a bookstore? Other than Half Baked Sistas is there another book from Smart Publishing?

You want some more advice, for free? Drop out of Rosedog.com right now. I've never heard of anything good coming from being listed there.

Rosedog is YADS: Yet Another Display Site. Display sites are great for writers who don't want to actually submit their works anywhere. You can feel like you're doing something without the danger of being rejected.

Legitimate agents and editors don't go cruising display sites. They have all the slush they need, personally addressed to them, sitting on their desks.

Can someone please invite that person over here? Not necessarily to this thread -- to one of the other boards where How To Find A Publisher is discussed.

Sher2

Re: Folks, my article about "Atlanta Nights"...

is listed right here at Article City:

Ed, I just now got around to reading your article. I have two words for you -- 'da bomb.

Sherry

P.S. - I loved the one about lying to the women in your life, too. Of course, the technique would work equally well on men.;)

RealityChuck

From their web page:
Smart Publishing is a traditional publishing company, founded in May of 2004.

Boy, is that a load off my mind. We all know when someone claims that, they have to be legit! :b

Ed Williams 3

Just the fact that they call it...

..."Smart Publishing" is enough to get ya thinkin'.....

:b :evil :p

P.S. Sherry, now don't make an old country boy blush...

afanofthetruth

Re: The article.....re:Ed

All your articles are fabulous and unique. You have alot of talent, lucky man! Just remember I'm your biggest fan, Ed..haha..the ladies are all on to your southern charm.

:rollin

vstrauss

>>Rosedog is YADS: Yet Another Display Site.<<

Not only is it YADS, it's owned by Dorrance (the most expensive print vanity publisher in the biz).

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.