Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:14 PM   #16326
Richard
13th Triskaidekaphobe

Richard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputation
Superfriends!

(Warning: Naughty language)
Old 04-14-2005, 06:23 PM   #16327
T42
Herb Lady

T42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Maliga
Hello folks,
In my quest to get my book's rights returned to me, I sent them a letter via certified mail on April 7th. [It was received 4/11/05 by Jessica Lewis] I wrote:

As for your request, in the spirit of the conditions described in the amendment that you received, we hereby grant you permission to make your book available free of charge as you have requested.

Thank you,
Author Support Team
authorsupport@publishamerica.com
And I sent them this:
I have not signed an amendment, nor did I sign the agreement that was sent to me back in March.

The only thing I will sign is a full release of my book's rights back to me, the rightful owner.

My book will be available on my site, and through thousands of online links. So your unsavory company will not profit one iota from my book.
Does anyone have any comments/opinions about this matter?
Thanks!
Hi Lisa, It's good to have you here. I was also sent an amendment contract and did not sign it. I sent them a letter stating pretty much the same thing and got the "we grant you" speech. It used to be "Don't Take That Tone With US" and "You Will Apologize". For some reason they are taking a different Tone and it could be that we pointed that out so much on this board. My concerns are that they have some how amended my contract themselves without my knowledge because they act like I did sign it. They are suddenly "granting permission" as stated in contract. Bull Crap! I don't need their permission and if they have changed my contract then they are looking at a heavy lawsuit. Glad to see your spunk. You and I will get a long good

THE HERB LADY
Old 04-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #16328
T42
Herb Lady

T42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsT42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher2
Oh! Was one of them a shiny-domed Dutch gnome? I had some fever dreams last night and I'm pretty sure I saw that motley crew.
Little Missy, I'm glad to see your feeling better. I missed you yesterday! I didn't miss yesterday, could have done without yesterday, but I missed you

THE HERB LADY
Old 04-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #16329
MsRasputina
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MsRasputina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
In that same book, the town of Itoman (a place on Okinawa important to the action -- the book is a nonfiction account of the WWII Battle of Okinawa) was consistently spelled AUTOIMMUNE (yes, all caps). How did that happen if it wasn't through editing by spellchecker?
Forgive me for butting in, but I just had to delurk for a sec ... was the book actually printed and sold like that!? That's horrible.

As long as I'm here, anybody wanna be on a reality show for authors?

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bi...ounge/8800.htm

(Check out the bookmillionaire.com link in the first post.)
Old 04-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #16330
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
I was playing the Dungeon Siege II preview build last night (computer game), and I came upon something called an invocation circle (or incantation circle, or something like that). Anyway, the description of it was something like, "This invocation circle resonates with harmonic <something-or-other>," and my first thought was of PA. I don't think I'll ever be able to see that word again without thinking of PA.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #16331
Richard
13th Triskaidekaphobe

Richard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputationRichard has a golden reputation
That is quite probably the dullest sounding reality show I've ever heard. I would not make gripping viewing.

"HE'S SITTING ON HIS *** POSTING ON FORUMS INSTEAD OF DOING THE WRITING HE SPENT THE WHOLE DAY SWEARING TO DO! NO, WAIT....HE'S LOADING UP WORD...LOADING....LOADING AND-OH THE EXCITEMENT!"
"Jeremy, if you look at the clock, you'll see-"
"We'll be back after he's finished watching Dead Like Me. Folks, we're sorry. We didn't think this through. So sorry. Really. Great commercials coming right up."
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #16332
SeanDSchaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRasputina
Forgive me for butting in, but I just had to delurk for a sec ... was the book actually printed and sold like that!? That's horrible.

As long as I'm here, anybody wanna be on a reality show for authors?

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bi...ounge/8800.htm

(Check out the bookmillionaire.com link in the first post.)

Howdy, MsRasputina, it's nice to meet you. Welcome to AW. I hope you enjoy the site.

And I can assure you that PA prints and sells stuff like that all the time. Go to Amazon.com and check out the cover for Wyverinia Chronicles sometime. That's my PA book. Ugh, that cover is awful -- and I drew the darned thing myself! I never realized it would look that bad in print.

I'm sure PA realized that, though; they just didn't give a flip, and that's one reason I don't like that publisher too much.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #16333
gena140
Banned

gena140 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratian Gasparri
They don't know better. This happened to several of my friends who are better writers than I am. In fact, I would be more than happy to recommend their work to my publisher. Unfortunately, their work is tied up with PA for the next seven years. Which is why I, despite not being as good a writer, have sold more copies of my books than PA's top author.

Sadly, this is one of those big myths promoted by PA. Editors don't take the cookie cutter approach to manuscripts, rather they tailor it so that you are presentable to an audience. In other words, they make it the best darn book possible.

Among the published authors on this board, I'm the low person on the totem pole. I just signed a contract with a four figure advance (six if you count the two figures after the decimal point). Has PA paid you a sufficient advance to cover the postage necessary to send them a signed copy of the contract?

In short, if your book is as good as you claim, then you should be giving it the chance it deserves. This can only come from a commercial publisher.
PER THE MODERATORS

This thread is not about ME. So any questions or concerns about ME and MY BOOK need to be addressed to ME in PM.

In answer to your question about PA...they didn't say anything to me about cookie cutter books or convince me to go with them by any manner.

I sent my manuscript...they accepted it. There were no sales tactics used to persuade me to join PA.

Lastly I have 3 novels that PA does not have and in the process of writing #4 and #4, could you please refer me to your publisher?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #16334
keltora
practical experience, FTW

keltora is a shiny, shiny jewelkeltora is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyKay
On Lee Goldberg's Blog, there is this nice post (from a couple of days ago):
http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_wri...ft_press_.html
that has a lovely list of Vanity Presses and Approach With Caution publishers...

Guess who's number three on the Vanity Press list?
I really should bookmark this man's website and insist all members of my critique group read it regularly.

ARD MAGISTER (Yard Dog Press 2002) DRAGON'S TONGUE (Meisha Merlin April 2006) THE HOUNDS OF ARDAGH (Five Star Press October 2006) WANDERING LARK (MM 2007) BAD LANDS (With Selina Rosen Five Star Mystery 2007)

http://www.sff.net/people/keltora

Old 04-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #16335
Sher2
Auroraless ExPAtriate

Sher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by T42
Little Missy, I'm glad to see your feeling better. I missed you yesterday! I didn't miss yesterday, could have done without yesterday, but I missed you
Thank you, Mem. Feelin' much better thanks to all the virtual stuff y'all sent out yesterday. I'm not subjecting myself to a repeat of yesterday, though -- that would be too, too much punishment.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #16336
Sher2
Auroraless ExPAtriate

Sher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSher2 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
That is quite probably the dullest sounding reality show I've ever heard. I would not make gripping viewing.

"HE'S SITTING ON HIS *** POSTING ON FORUMS INSTEAD OF DOING THE WRITING HE SPENT THE WHOLE DAY SWEARING TO DO! NO, WAIT....HE'S LOADING UP WORD...LOADING....LOADING AND-OH THE EXCITEMENT!"
"Jeremy, if you look at the clock, you'll see-"
"We'll be back after he's finished watching Dead Like Me. Folks, we're sorry. We didn't think this through. So sorry. Really. Great commercials coming right up."
So, where are they holding auditions?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #16337
T42
Herb Lady

Yesterday!

I have to get this off my chest because yesterday exhausted me! I think it is great to invite Pa authors over to talk about their viewpoints and to listen to what they have to say but to allow it to go on all day and evening and for all of us too feed into it was sick. Even though it was suggested by other members to let it go we all kept feeding into this persons game. Myself included. I was under attach in her very first post and I had to put up with that at Pa and do not want that in a thread in which I am supposed to be safe from harassment. Pa let their authors bash me for a week before they banned me and guess who's post were always deleted. When I saw that happening last night, I was upset. I had to listen to and put up with all that garbage before I found this place and I make a point not to go to the Pa threads very much for the same reason. Itís the same ridiculous stuff. These people are going to defend PA until they have gotten a belly full and to allow them to come to a thread at AW and do this is not right in my opinion. Let them state an opinion and then move on. By allowing what happened yesterday, we are inviting harassment from every Pa author that wants to come over and do this. (Donít think this whole thing wasn't being watched) This thread is supposed to be about changing what is happening at PA or closing it down. I know some people are not out to close PA down but I am if they are not willing to change and I donít see that happening. If they close down I am no worse off then my book sitting with them for seven years. Personally, I think the IRS will do it for us.

THE HERB LADY
Old 04-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #16338
SeanDSchaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gena140
I never referred to anyone as Superfriends so why am I being quoted in this post?
Gena, I wouldn't take it too harshly. Misunderstandings like that always pop up on the Net. It's just the way things work in the public domain.

For whomever else wants to know, I believe the individual who made the 'Superfriends' remark was a gentleman on the PA boards by the name of SCHarrison. I could be mistaken on that, but I did read that quote on the PA boards and I'm pretty darned sure that quote was not Gena's.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #16339
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher2
So, where are they holding auditions?
this only shows how desparate they are for reality shows...

unless it's going to be like NaNoWriMo where they have to produce something in a month... now that might be interesting if only for the nervous breakdowns that are gonna happen on camera...
Old 04-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #16340
Richard
13th Triskaidekaphobe

Randomly, check the other links on that Book Millionaire site. I smell rats. With up-sell products on hand.

This is quite amusing though:

Quote:
You and others will complete a series of tasks which pertain to book promotion and living the lifestyle of a best selling author. You will not need to have your own book finished for the filming. Rather, we will use prominent company products and currently published books for the tasks.
*cough* SHILL *cough*

Last edited by Richard; 04-14-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #16341
T42
Herb Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanDSchaffer
Gena, I wouldn't take it too harshly. Misunderstandings like that always pop up on the Net. It's just the way things work in the public domain.

Sean, I'm sorry but why are we still bringing up her post? Yesterday was enough. Haven't we given her enough time? If she wants to talk about why Pa doesn't work for their authors then I would be willing to talk but please...enough is enough...

THE HERB LADY
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #16342
Susan Gable
Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage

Susan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Randomly, check the other links on that Book Millionaire site. I smell rats. With up-sell products on hand.

This is quite amusing though:
*cough* SHILL *cough*
Richard, good catch. I found this tidbit to be particularly interesting:

Q: Do I have to have a book already written or published? Or can I have just a book idea?

A: All applicants will be considered for the show regardless if their books are written, partially written or still an idea. We are looking for a person who desires to be America's next Book Millionaire and best selling author. This means the book may or may not be written yet nor would it need to be written before filming of the show.

Uh, huh. If the book isn't finished, how do they even know the author can finish a book? Also, a lot of the pages were the same. Looks like they're just trying this "interesting marketing concept" to get people sucked into their services.

Susan G.
The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
www.PCWebDoc.com
Fixing computers via the internet!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #16343
robeiae
The Emperor of Wyoming

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
This site is run by Best Seller Publishing, Inc., discussed before at AW:

http://p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewri...icID=620.topic

I think the rats are professional ones...

Rob
Old 04-14-2005, 07:09 PM   #16344
MsRasputina
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MsRasputina is on a distinguished road
I love how they're talking about airing in Fall 2005 when they haven't 1. picked anyone yet, 2. lined up any sponsors, or 3. even gotten a deal with any networks, if I'm reading the FAQ correctly.

The Three Stooges are probably thinking " :Smack: -- why didn't *we* think of this one?"
Old 04-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #16345
astonwest
2 WIP? A glutton for punishment

astonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by gena140
I never referred to anyone as Superfriends so why am I being quoted in this post?
Er, instead of making three or four different posts at one time, I tend to try and make one post covering various topics. My response to the quoted section was the first part of that post (before the Superfriends comments, and the bit about free books, which also had nothing to do with you, btw). Sorry to have confused you...

Big Daddy West
Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #16346
Jeff
Quixote without a cause

Jeff leaves trails of profuse coolnessJeff leaves trails of profuse coolnessJeff leaves trails of profuse coolnessJeff leaves trails of profuse coolnessJeff leaves trails of profuse coolness
Mem, I hear what you are saying, and I sympathize with your aggravation.

But I think it is important that this thread remains open to those who hold a differing opinion. I too would rather that everyone here come and present their opinions in a rational and mature manner, but we both know that is not going to happen. There are trolls out there and they are always going to be out there, no matter what side of an issue you are on.

All we can do is present our argument and our proof and allow those who are reading to make up their own minds about the truth of the issue. People will create their own reputation and earn the respect that they deserve by the way that they conduct themselves online in public. This is the most popular thread on a public board on a popular site for the publishing industry -- it is by all accounts rather famous in and of itself -- and the actions of people here will be remembered for a long time by many in the industry, I suspect.

I will never feel as strongly as you do about PA Mem, because I was never a PA author and I am not in your shoes. That distance lets me take a more neutral tone at times. But make no mistake, I both understand and sympathize with the passion of the ex-PA authors and I admire those of you who are brave enough to come here and recant some of the things previously said.

Keep the faith, Mem. It is obvious that PA is not the company it was even six months ago. The efforts of those here have changed the manner in which PA conducts its business, to a certain extent. They are most certainly on the run, and they will either clean up their act, or they will go out. Our job, I think, is simply to keep educating people -- which will deprive PA of a portion of their next victims -- and will force one or the other result.

I wish you the best.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #16347
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry, I needed to do that. Is it safe in here now? I woke up to about 15 pages of posts this morning, all reading about the same crap. It was like watching grass grow. We all stated our opinions (some of which is well informed and has lots of experience behind it) and yet the same thing over, and over and over...

I think alot of this could have been avoided if the person in question had started out by reading the "reasons we don't like PA" thread.

Now.... PA sucks. Why? Because they treat their authors like Purple Pony waste. In so many ways and on so many levels. The End.

I really need to get back and finish my rewrite - yes, I'm still working on it. But, on the upside, I'm down to the last ten pages and almost done. Then I can start on the new book.

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Old 04-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #16348
T42
Herb Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Gable
Uh, huh. If the book isn't finished, how do they even know the author can finish a book? Also, a lot of the pages were the same. Looks like they're just trying this "interesting marketing concept" to get people sucked into their services.

Susan G.
Yeah, BUT what IF....we could all be stars, we could be rich and famous, we could be on PA's front page, right next to Jamie who?

THE HERB LADY
Old 04-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #16349
astonwest
2 WIP? A glutton for punishment

astonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Actually, I've often thought that a reality show about authors would be coming sooner than later. Although many authors may be dull people in what they do (sit around and write by themselves), the personality conflicts alone would probably drive ratings. Just think if you could get ten authors together in a room, all with different ideas of how things should work. Writers, by definition, have something to say...and many can be very opinionated (and stubborn).

Big Daddy West
Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #16350
T42
Herb Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Mem, I hear what you are saying, and I sympathize with your aggravation.
Jeff thank you and I don't mean to be upset with anyone here. In fact, I'm not upset with anyone here. I am just very passionate about my views on PA and I suppose it is because I allowed myself to be taken by them and it makes me very angry at myself sometimes. I just felt like I could have gone to the PA threads to hear all of that yesterday. Forgive my inpatients! Heck for that matter, forgive my writing...it stinks!

THE HERB LADY
Closed Thread