• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lachesis Publishing / Sinful Moments Press

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sinful Moments doesn't even, as far as I can see, have a website. I can only assume they changed their minds. When did they commit to being at the convention? If it was after January then maybe the idea is still alive, just delayed.

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Got the heads up about the convention in April. As far as the convention website states, Margo Humphreyeys of sinful moments press is still scheduled to attend as one of the 'three' agent/editor appointments you can sign up for.

Louise_Bohmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisebohmer.com
Hi folks,

Sorry I am coming into this rather late. First to clear up some misconceptions I see here.

1) Sinful Moments Press is active and opening in Fall 2008. Our website is simply not launched yet. I apologize for that. I don't handle the website, but Carole Spencer does, along with our web master, and I imagine the site will go live soon.

2) We will be attending the 'Put Your Heart in A Book' Conference in Iselin, NJ, and I will be with Mrs. Spencer while she takes pitches and editor applications.

3) The WCP connection is nothing more than mere coincidence.

4) I do not own this company, nor do any of the former employees of WCP that have freelanced for Lachesis. Carole Spencer is full owner, I am full time senior staff with the LBF and SMP erotic imprint, and the editor-in-chief for Lachesis. I found out about the job through Giovanna Lagana, submitted an editing CV, and was hired. When Ms. Lagana stepped down from her position as former EiC, I was recommended for the promotion and took it.

5) All our books are returnable. We are found in bookstores in Ontario, and many areas within the USA, such as Houston, Nashville, to name a couple.

6) We are a small press with full distribution services, a sales department, full time and part time editorial staff and cover art staff, and we also work with our authors to obtain promotion, reviews, and to provide promotional materials, when possible, for conventions. We provide e-book and traditional ARCs to our authors for reviews and promotional purposes as well. We are not a micro press.

7) We use POD technology through Book Surge and LS Offset Print Runs to produce our print runs. And, yes, many of our authors have sold well over 100 books. ;-)

8) If you would like to keep up with all the imprints, I do regular updates on my blogs, as does the editor-in-chief for LBF Books. First, I'll give you a bit more comprehensive information on the imprints.

History -- Carole Spencer opened Lachesis in 2006, out of Nova Scotia, Canada, and soon after purchased the LBF Books small press from Jacqueline Druga-Johnston. Since our opening, some of our titles have gone on to achieve some respected praise. I WILL RISE from Michael Louis Calvillo made the 2007 Bram Stoker Finals for Superior Achievement in a first novel, he has been recommended for Best Novel (The August Derleth Fantasy Award) for the BFS awards.

Our author Andrew Tisbert (The Rise and Falling Out of Saint Leslie of Security) won the Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Award recently, which was judged by Mort Castle.

Senior and full time staff include:

Carole Spencer -- publisher, owner, editor-in-chief for Sinful Moments Press
Louise Bohmer -- editor-in-chief for Lachesis Publishing, senior editor for LBF Books and SMP

Jodi Lee -- eic for LBF Books, senior editor with Lachesis
LeeAnn Lessard -- sales deparment and sales representation / promotion
Giovanna Lagana -- senior editor with LBF and LP
David Lee Summers -- senior with LBF

Junior staff include:

Jeremy Seffens -- editor for LBF & LP
Margo Humphries -- editor for LP, SMP
Darlene Oakley -- editor for LP & LBF
Michelle Keesling -- editor for LP & LBF
Erin Haley -- editor for LP & LBF
Trena Hayes -- editor for LP & LBF
Gin Fenton -- cover art
Jinger Heaston -- cover art
Laura Givens -- cover art

David Field, Garrett Peck, and Katherine Smith no longer freelance for us.

Any questions at all, I will be most happy to answer at: [email protected]

Payment rates, as listed on our sites and on Ralan.com, are currently:
Pay: 10% gross print sales; 40% gross eSales.

While royalty based at this time, advances are a firm future goal, as indicated from all communications I have had with our publisher. That would be advances + royalties, of course.

Titles are, on the average, doing well for us. We are growing faster than expected, and I apologize for not finding this sooner and getting in here to update. I only just now received this through Google Alerts.

I also apologize that our sites are a bit out of date, and that the SMP site is not yet live. We are concentrating on a large publication schedule for 2008, taking us into 2009, and we do have some catch up to do, as a result. This is another reason we have chosen to remain closed to submissions for a while, until we have fully caught up and have released the books we currently have scheduled for publication.

As I say, I use my blogs to keep authors and readers updated on a regular basis. Interested parties can find them at:

http://www.myspace.com/louisebohmer
http://louise-bohmer.livejournal.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kingston-NS/Lachesis-Publishing-LBF-Books/7827281081

Again, any questions about the imprints are most welcome at either of my e-mails:
[email protected]
[email protected]

I am admittedly swamped right now, but will do my best to get back to questions asap.

Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Louise Bohmer

More information about me can also be found at:
www.louisebohmer.com

Louise_Bohmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisebohmer.com
re: Margo at the convention -- Not sure if Margo will still be meeting us there, or coming with Carole and me, to the conference, but we will definitely be there. I can confirm that with 100% certainty. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hi Louise,

I responded to the email that was sent to me which didn't get a response for some reason. I looked at your blogs but didn't find anything that says why the 48 hours extended to 6 months--although I didn't really look at the myspace due to the loading time. Is there any more on that? I was asked to add SM to our listing and will be happy to, when there is a website, at least.

Als I was wondering if you are accepting any general submissions as there are no guidelines available that I could find?

Last edited:

Louise_Bohmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisebohmer.com
Hi Louise,

I responded to the email that was sent to me by :name removed: which get a response for some reason. I looked at your blogs but didn't find anything that says why the 48 hours extended to 6 months--although I didn't really look at the myspace due to the loading time. Is there any more on that? I was asked to add SM to our listing and will be happy to, when there is a website, at least.

Als I was wondering if you are accepting any general submissions as there are no guidelines available that I could find?

Hmmm, :name removed:. I honestly don't remember this name, vg, and I have not been in contact with this lady. I wonder if she is associated with LeeAnn. All right, I will check into that for you, but, if you would like, I can send you our updated information, when we actually do go live?

As to the 48 hours extending to 6 months -- I wish I had a better answer for you, but I truly wonder where this :name removed: got this information. I speak with Carole through e-mail on a daily basis, and on the phone quite often, and while I know we were working on the site, as far as I have been told, we had no plans to launch it until September. Carole is away right now, but when she returns at end of July, I will ask if she knows anything about this, and if she might know :name removed:.

Here, I will also provide the link to our brochure for SMP, which we have available for download on the Lach site, right now:

http://www.lachesispublishing.com/downloads/Trifold_SinfulMoments_LachesisEroticRomance.zip

Submissions -- Ah, that was one point I forgot early this morning. Thank you, VG. All our imprints are closed to submissions right now. Our GLs page appears to be down, but you will find GLs in the brochure I just posted a link to, and those formatting GLs apply for MSS sent to all imprints.

I have this thread on alert now, also, so when we do reopen, I will try my very best to get back in and update you all.

And you are most welcome, Hobbes! :)

Best Wishes to all,

Louise

PS -- Oh yes, and if you were asking about SMP accepting general submissions, no, that imprint will focus only on erotic romance, but, yes, when we are open, we do accept general fiction. Actually, here is a list of the genres LBF and Lach will consider.

Adventure
Contemporary
Children
Fantasy
Gay & Lesbian
Historical
Horror & Thrillers
Mystery
Speculative
Romance
Science Fiction
Young adult
Western

Last edited by a moderator:

PrincessButtercup

Registered
Reaction score
Could someone explain further as to why Lachesis is now listed on P&E as Poor contract. Not recommended. Many thanks!

Louise_Bohmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisebohmer.com
Hello folks,

Just dropped by to let everyone know that as of the end of June I will no longer be working for Lachesis Publishing. I am trying to negotiate a pay out and get my rights to my book back.

I'll be editing full time with a new small horror press: Library of the Living Dead / Library of Horror, and I have some other small presses interested in contracting my services.

If anyone is interested in information, feel free to email me at: [email protected]

I don't know who the replacement editor in chief will be, but I do know Carole Spencer, the publisher, will be filling the editor in chief position until she finds someone new.

My best wishes,

Louise Bohmer

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bewilderingstories.com
Best Wishes, Louise

Hello Louise,

It's sure to get better. I wish you the best, Louise.

Folks, Louise was the editor of my book I have (as of this time) with Lachesis. She is a good editor, too. And a wonderful enthusiastic person to work with.

So I am sure she will do fine, post-Lachesis, in both her editing and writing, and I hope we work together again one day.

I wish my book could find a happier home, too. Well, in time!

Danielle

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know about the rest of the Lachesis authors, but as of July 27 I am still waiting to get my royalty statement/payment for the Jan/Feb/Mar quarter. My book has also been out-of-stock for an extended period. It looks like a lot of Lachesis books are out-of-stock and/or Amazon is not carrying stock on hand.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK, my book is back in stock after an extended period out-of-stock. I don't honestly know if this was Amazon's backlog or somehow related to a publisher situation, but when a book is out of stock, it doesn't make sales.

And the timing of this was unfortunate for my book--it came right after a SFSITE featured review, when sales ranking on Amazon had jumped into the 70k's. Now it's back to well over a million and a half in the sales ranking and probably won't recover.

I haven't checked other Lachesis titles on Amazon to see if they are out-of-stock (or listed as requiring weeks to fill), but if you are a Lachesis author, you probably should check your book to see if it is in stock or not.

Danielle
Author of the 2009 EPPIE Science Fiction Winner "The Infinite Instant"

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, one of my books suddenly didn't have a buy button either, and the other was listing a '2 to 3 month' wait?? Danielle, there is very little stock at Amazon, but since LBF (does Lachesis?) uses Booksurge, OWNED by Amazon, this shouldn't happen. But, since both of my books ARE now listed as back in stock and will ship immediately, I'm guessing it's some backup at Booksurge that messed things up.

I haven't gotten my statement either, but I don't usually until August, I think. Not worried about that. She only does them twice a year, for every six months. At least for LBF.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Christine,

Per contract, it was due quarterly for Lachesis books. My other publisher pays within 30 days of the end of the quarter. Going on 4+ months late is something I don't find appropriate.

It seems just about ALL the Lachesis books (and LBF? since yours is LBF?) were out-of-stock... then all came back at once. I honestly don't know if this was a Booksurge or a publisher problem, and I tend to wonder if it's the latter, but at least, they're back, though I'm not happy about the extended out-of-stock.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK... she did pay royalties today, almost four months to the day late, but with an apology.

She apologized that it was due to their new site construction.

- Danielle

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
OK... she did pay royalties today, almost four months to the day late, but with an apology...due to their new site construction.
I'm unclear as to how site construction can interfere with paying royalties, as the two are unrelated. It doesn't matter if the office suffered a flood or a hangnail, authors shouldn't be given excuses after four months delay. I could be all wet, but four months late, in my mind, speaks more to their solvency than a move.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Mine are usually on time, but as I said LBF's are biannual. I know they've closed submissions until things are settled. There have been some major editorial changes, not just Louise, in the last couple of months too.

I think Carole was moving in a major way, not just the office but her home. I don't remember how far. Not an excuse, but a reason. Hey, one month my Samhain royalties were late because they were installing new royalty software. It took weeks and there were a ton of bugs, and Crissy apologized like mad for it. They made good on it, though.

Life happens every now and then. If it was four months, I'd be upset. If they kept putting me off after repeated attempts with lame excuses, then I'd worry. So far I personally haven't had a reason.

dlparker

It's cold out there
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Royalties have averaged 3.5 months late (after the quarter end) with this publisher (for me). Then we ran on to 4 months late with this latest one (for Jan/Feb/Mar).

So it's been a continuing problem. Not to mention that the publisher did not send out a single review copy and I am aware of no marketing or promotion other than listing it their web site (I'm not talking about distribution, i.e. just putting it on Amazon or Fictionwise)

Certainly the royalty statements did not list any review copies sent out. Their publicist never contacted me, not even when my book won an award. (But my editors, Louise Bohmer and Jodi of LBF, were good enough to give the book some blurbs on their blogs and in interviews. I thank them for that).

In any case, these three issues (late royalties, out-of-stock, lack of marketing) have discouraged me from completing the sequel to my first book with them. I'm not planning to give Lachesis any more work and I'm looking for another home for my novel. "Writer Beware".

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
the publisher did not send out a single review copy and I am aware of no marketing or promotion other than listing it their web site (I'm not talking about distribution, i.e. just putting it on Amazon or Fictionwise)
Did you ask them whether they sent out ARCs to reviewers? Print on demand companies. for the most part, lack the budget to send out ARCs [provided they even print ARCs] or hire people to market and promote their titles. They see that as the author's job. Many PODs make their money from selling to their authors.