• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Terry Prince Publishing

rihannsu

Mrs. Bruce Wayne
Registered
Reaction score
Wow- a query reading fee.

I hope the other agents and editors don't get any ideas from this. ;)

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Unsolicited manuscripts will be (accepting) when accompanied by a $25.00 reading fee, however, we strongly recommend that you submit a query letter. If you submit a query letter and your manuscript is requested for review there is no reading fee

They are idiots who cannot even get the above correct-to be avoided I should think

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get to keep my copyright if I publish with these guys?! Sign me up!

Close ended contracts- Our contracts typically are for 7,10 or 15 years based on the work.

This one sounds kinda iffy, to me, but I'm not well-versed in publishing contracts.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
#
Terry Prince Publishing is NOT in any way a POD or vanity press. Vanity publishers charge for their services. Typically authors utilizing Vanity or POD publishers are considered "self-published". These companies often charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars for their services. Our authors are not self-published. Terry Prince Publishing does not charge fees to "print" your book.
#
Terry Prince Publishing is a traditional, royalty paying publisher. We do not believe that authors should pay to have their books published. We don't want your money. We want your book. All expenses involved with producing, manufacturing, publishing and marketing a book are underwritten by Terry Prince Publishing

http://terryprincepublishing.com/page/sf0d/Home.html

That's a direct steal from PublishAmerica.

FACT #5: PublishAmerica is NOT in any way a POD, vanity press, or subsidy publisher, and has nothing in common with them. Obviously, our authors are also not being self-published. In the most commonly used context, POD indicates "Publish On Demand", or vanity publishing. Vanity publishers charge for their "services". Some charge a few hundred dollars, others a thousand or more. We are not in that league, in any way, shape or fashion.

FACT #6: PublishAmerica is a traditional, royalty paying publisher. We are strongly opposed to charging fees, ever. There's no catch, no hidden surprises. We even pay small advances to indicate our principle. The author is never, ever, under any obligation to pull their wallet to make any purchase whatsoever. We don't want their money. We want their book. All expenses involved with acquiring, producing, manufacturing, and publishing a book, and marketing it to the industry's wholesale and distribution channels for full availability through all bookstores at home and abroad are underwritten by PublishAmerica solely. This is one of our main claims to fame, and one that we are very proud of. All authors are treated equally here.

Run away. Run away very fast. This guy aspires to be a crook.

Last edited:

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Terry Prince Publishing is interested in books and short stories written by teens.
I find this particularly repulsive, since they appear to be targeting young people who might be less experienced in the how-to's of publishing.

As for their Poetry Contest:
All poems submitted to our poetry contest are considered by our editors for publication.
If you have something to say about love, are interested in a cash prize, or just want to see your name in print, this is the contest for you.
They evidently also aspire to be the next poetry.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

TPPC

Terry Prince Responds

I found everyone’s comments very interesting and helpful, in particular since I happen to be the Chief Operating Officer of Terry Prince Publishing Corp. I would like to respond by saying first off, I had never heard of Publish America, prior to seeing your thread (though obviously our content developer had). TPPC is a new publishing company, something we are very forthright about.
The TPPC business model is one of integrity and sound business acumen. The first thing you need to understand is that Terry Prince is not a person, it is a corporation. I mention this because I get a lot of queries, addressed to Mr. Prince.
The second thing I would like to stress is that TPPC is indeed author friendly. That is the bases of the TPPC business model. We firmly believe that authors should be educated in the business of publishing and should make informed decisions. We encourage this, whether the author chooses to publish with us or not. We do not want any author to enter into an agreement with us unless they are 100% comfortable with their choice.
TPPC encourages the creative spirit, which is why we encourage teen writers as well as adults. We do not ask for any money, EVER. In fact we are currently paying for one of our authors to attend a writer’s forum at a local community college.
I do thank all of you for your feedback. We have made several adjustment to our site based on your comments. We welcome and encourage you to test us out, as you have other companies. You will find us to be an honest and forthright organization.
Also, as an FYI, we actually are considering all poetry contest entries for publication. It would be impossible to publish an anthology if the only poems in it were the two winning submissions. Anyone who’s work is included in the anthology will be given (not sold) a copy of the anthology free of charge.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Who are the principals of this corporation and what experience do they have in publishing?

ETA: Gah, I deleted my welcome. Thanks for dropping in!

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Adding to Cao's questions:

- Do you work with a distributor (as opposed to a wholesaler like Ingram)?

- Do you have a returns policy?

I notice that the reading fee has been eliminated. That's a very positive change.

Of concern, however: Terry Prince offers "close ended contracts- Our contracts typically are for 7,10 or 15 years based on the work." This is taking a leaf out of PA's book, and not ideal for authors.

- Victoria

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Also from the workshop page:

"
How do I protect my copyright, when submitting to a publisher?" Uh oh.

Red flag for workshop-goers: no faculty is listed, so you have no way of knowing whether you'll have qualified instructors.

- Victoria

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Also from the workshop page:

Red flag for workshop-goers: no faculty is listed, so you have no way of knowing whether you'll have qualified instructors.

- Victoria

As a matter of fact (also from the workshop page):

Learn the ins and outs of publishing today from an industry insider.

(emphasis mine)
I wonder who the one "industry insider" will be?

Chuck Zepol

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rpwriters.com
Terry Prince Publishing?

Is Terry Prince a legitimate publishing concern. There are many illegitimate and/or vanity publishers on the internet and I would like to ensure they are for real.

I entered their 2006-2007 poetry contest and they posted me as the winner on their website for the poem, "October Child". They sent me a letter stating that I won first place and the $1,000 cash prize but I haven't heard from them since.

If they pay the $1,000 prize money I will post it on the internet. If they do not I will also post it all over the internet. It has been three weeks since the first letter.

Last edited:

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I entered their 2006-2007 poetry contest and they posted me as the winner on their website for the poem, "October Child". They sent me a letter stating that I won first place and the $1,000 cash prize but I haven't heard from them since.

You said they are legit then spell out how they've stiffed you.

Chuck Zepol

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rpwriters.com
I am asking

I never said they were a legitimate company. Why are you attempting to contradict me? I am simply asking others if they are? Read the question. Do you work for Terry Prince Publishing? This is getting interesting.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I never said they were a legitimate company. Why are you attempting to contradict me? I am simply asking others if they are? Read the question. Do you work for Terry Prince Publishing? This is getting interesting.

You changed your original question, I see, by the time stamp on the edit. Originally you said "Terry Prince is a legitimate publishing concern." You may have mistyped the first time, which is fine, but don't change the question to make me look bad and launch an ad hominem attack on me.

If you read the thread, you'll see many, many red flags, including a general lack of knowledge about the publishing industry and no published books at all. I'd say their either no legit or clueless and either way, I'd stay away from them.