Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Christine - please let me know if you need financial support for this. I would be very glad to contribute.

Free speech isn't just a slogan for me. I will support you in any way.

Hugs to you - you have a lot of friends here who support you and are sorry you are being hurt by this. I'm just one of them. But count on me for anything you may need. PM or email me or anything. And have some chocolate, too.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
She's the only one in the group that does NOT have a signed contract with PA, so they may be counting on that to prove she is needlessly hostile toward them.
No, she isn't the only one without ever having signed with PA. I never did, and many others on AW haven't, either. Yet we're trying to get the word out about them, to help newbies make informed decisions.

Why Christine? No idea. She's articulate, published, and a great asset to AW. But so are so many others here.

Christine, we're here for you, and stand behind you.

Last edited:

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Christine, I can completely understand how this has upset you and your family. But take a bit of satisfaction in this - what PA has done is the equivalent of swatting a bee that has landed on the outside of its hive. It takes care of one problem, but stirs up a whole lot of trouble in the process.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I say it's time to report Vic Cretella to the Maryland Bar Association for attempted extortion. Let them sort it out and decide whether that's what he's involved in or not.

Let's not forget his law firm. They might not know what he's doing. They might not want the blackeye he's giving them.

Caro

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Christine. Do what you must for your family and your sanity, as others have said, but if you need support, give a shout and a lot of us who just lurk will be there.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Christine,

Hang tough and do what you have to do. PA's lawyer is an empty suit and a coward. You've said nothing about Publish America that isn't true. THEY know that and are scared. You're a powerful voice of reason and expereience; they want you silenced.

I hope your council gives you the assurances you need and you'll be back here soon. PA has no honor or courage.

Boy the balance sheet must really be in the red for PA to stoop to this.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
I say it's time to report Vic Cretella to the Maryland Bar Association for attempted extortion. Let them sort it out and decide whether that's what he's involved in or not.

Let's not forget his law firm. They might not know what he's doing. They might not want the blackeye he's giving them.

I agree. Christine I'd think it prudent to send a copy of everything this guy has sent to you to the bar association. I don't know what the process is for dealing with complaints but I think at the very least they'd contact him about the complaint. Shining more light his way ought to make him think twice about the stunt he's pulling.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Well, let's see Vic deal with this:

To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Expression of displeasure
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:41:26 -0500

Perhaps your office is unaware, but Mr Cretella seems to be involved in what I
would characterize as extortion. I've enclosed a copy of the documentation that
leads me to express this extreme displeasure with one of your lawyers because he
appears to not only represent a business I consider to be among the sleaziest in
the world, but to be actively consorting with them in furthering its unethical,
if not illegal methods. I fully intend to also report him to the Maryland State
Bar Association for disciplinary action.
--
Cordially,
Dave Kuzminski, Editor
Preditors & Editors ™
http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Yes, this just went out in email. They want to play rough, then let's level the playing field just a bit. Yes, that's a couple of related offices in the Maryland State Bar Association and nearly every member of their Ethics Committee.

Rekd

Banned
Reaction score
Website
undermyhelmet.com

Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

leads me to express this extreme displeasure with one of your lawyers because he
appears to not only represent a business I consider to be among the sleaziest in
--
Cordially,
Dave Kuzminski, Editor
Preditors & Editors ™

Yes, this just went out in email. They want to play rough, then let's level the playing field just a bit. Yes, that's a couple of related offices in the Maryland State Bar Association and nearly every member of their Ethics Committee.

ROTFLMAO!!!

:clapping:

Keep up the good fight, Christine!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Okay, folks, if you want to help, send an email to those addresses except [email protected] which came back as no longer in service. If you have documentation about PA or Vic, offer to give it to the Maryland State Bar Association to use in considering whether to administer disciplinary action to dear ole Vic.

Hey Vic, I hope you're reading this so you can include me on the offer you made to Christine.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

--
Cordially,
Dave Kuzminski, Editor
Preditors & Editors ™

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

I don't think this ( insert word of choice) realizes what he has done by attacking Christine.

I am setting aside 12 hours of my writing week to concentrate on PA and do whatever I can to expose them.

Hang tough, Christine. I don't think you realize how many cages have been rattled by this attack on you.

Don't worry about money or an attorney. I am convinced whatever you need will be at your disposal.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, folks, if you want to help, send an email to those addresses except [email protected] which came back as no longer in service.

I have no personal experience with PA. Would it still be helpful for people like me to e-mail a complaint? Or would we only muddy the waters and end up being dismissed as loonies? I'm willing to add my voice to the complaint, but I don't want to hurt the case.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I have no experience with PA either but I have quite a bit of experience with suit-threatening bullies. One in a hundred will stand up for a real fight. This guy really is pond scum.

I just want Christine to know that she has my support and complete empathy.

I think Vic may still have time to post a public apology to Christine on AW. He should realize that there is an awful lot of redemption in one little "I'm sorry."

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
You could email them to show support, but it would be best if you have documentation to add showing how PA and Vic are trying to use the color of law to further PA's illicit activities by silencing their critics and all public discussion just as PA currently does by removing posts and banning authors from its own message board.

At this point, a simple apology is not sufficient, though that is truly a matter for Christine to decide. Personally, after putting her and her family though such duress, Vic and PA should offer a publicly disclosed financial settlement along with a public apology to be posted for a minimum of one week on each of their business web sites (PA's and Vic's). Anything less would be letting them off without consequences.

Just got back an undeliverable message on [email protected] so remove that one before you send out any emails to the Maryland State Bar Association.

Last edited:

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score

*stands up and cheers and whistles*

*looks around*

To co-workers - "No, I'm not crazy. Really! Okay, maybe a little, but I'm not dangerous, I promise."

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
About Mr Cretella:

http://gordonsimmons.com/victore_cretella_news.htm

Victor Cretella has just settled a gender discrimination case against a major news network brought by a producer of internet news and is preparing another discrimination case for a co-anchor for another media company. This follows his successful settlements in hotly contested cases that all ended this year with favorable resolutions in each of the foloowing areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices; construction disputes (commercial and home construction); contracts between businesses; financial disputes; personal torts; employment disputes; and land use disputes.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
"This follows his successful settlements in hotly contested cases that all ended this year with favorable resolutions in each of the foloowing [sic] areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices..."

Does that mean that Vic successfully defended PA and kept them from being put out of business?

By the way, did PA do the editing for Vic's site? ;)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think SOMEbody is going to wake up with a horse head in their bed, Dave. ;)

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
"foloowing areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices"

What publishing contracts has he done besides PA ones? I don't think the PA ones count.

I wonder what his role with PA really is? Maybe he is a secret silent partner?

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
No surprise here... after all, it's Maryland

Just received an email from Judge JOHN ADDISON HOWARD, a member of the Ethics Committee for the Maryland Bar Association. Obviously, he's forgotten he's a member of that group and responded thusly:

"Please do not write to me again except about a matter officially before this court. Regardless of the merits of your contentions, I am neither responsible for, charged with nor capable of pursuing investigations into matters such as you have written to me about."

I hope other Ethics Committee members are more aware of how they conduct themselves.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck, Christine. You've got a huge amount of support here, and I really can't see that PA has grounds to do anything to you. Not that that will stop them from worrying you senseless, but still: keep strong. Take care of yourself. And keep writing!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C, if you and your toothy friend need $ donations to get the ball rolling, count me in. Set up a PAypal account, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.