Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Historical Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
easy_breezy

Names of nuns?

My character goes to a Catholic school and I need names of nuns. Can anyone help me out?
Old 03-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #2
Rich
Self-Banned

Rich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolness
My favorite was Sister Mary Eunice. My enemy was Sister Mary Edwards. An inbetween one was Sister Mary Agatha--ugly, but insightful.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's safe to bet it would be "Mary" something

veinglory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
easy_breezy

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
Rich
Self-Banned

Rich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolnessRich leaves trails of profuse coolness
Compliments of the Sisters of Mercy, Sacred Heart parochial school, between Park Avenue and Flushing Avenue, Brooklyn. Circa. 1950.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Evaine
practical experience, FTW

Evaine is well-respected
Depends on the order of nuns. Some take a name in religion, and some keep their baptismal names. I've known a Sister Sheila, for instance, though she was an Anglican nun.
Before Vatican II it was common for nuns to take the names of male saints, so you'd have Sister Benedict, for example. Sometimes they didn't even get a choice, but were assigned a name when they joined the order. That doesn't happen any more.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #7
newmod

newmod is on a distinguished road
I went to a school with Dominican nunīs (late 1980s to early 1990s) and some of the nuns there were: Sr. Monica, Sr. Aquinata, Sr. Raymunda and Sr. Majella (the y in Raymunda may have been an i and the j in majella a g, but maybe they help you).
newmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Jersey Chick
Is it hot in here, or it just Hugh?

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember Sister Phyllis from when I made my first confession - she scared the bejeezus out of all of us. We didn't know it was possible to be that old.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Merry
figuring it all out

Merry is on a distinguished road
The mother superior at my first school was sister Una. It can depend on the order (and this applies to Catholic or Anglican) e.g. a Fransiscan nun could be Sister X Clare or X Frances (i.e. Sister Magdalen Clare) because that's the patron of the order. Personal name followed by saints' name.
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
C.bronco
I have plans...

C.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My best buddy is Sr. Helen. Other names include Mary, Theresa, Doris, Marian, Patricia, Claire, Dolores, Catherine, Laura, Barbara, Florinda, Ascenza... it helps if you know where the order is from. The ones I know are Fillipini, so there are a lot of Italian names.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
C.bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
aka eraser
Fish Whisperer

aka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've been taught (and/or beaten by) Sisters: Constance, Sheila, Marina, Lisa and Rose of Lima.

Hmm, seems I've blocked a few names from my memory banks. You have plenty to work with now though.

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu
aka eraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
After Vatican 2, lots of nuns went back to their baptismal names. Honestly, who wants to live life as Sr. Kunigunda? (True, poor thing. I always harbored the thought that the Superior General had it in for her when she was Invested.) We had a Sr. Borgia, too. She never spiced any of the meals, though, LOL.

If your book is pre-Vatican 2, anything goes! Find a catalogue of saints and feel free to saddle your nuns with what you like! Remember Sr. Polycarp in "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows"?

When I was a Franciscan (1979-1983), we were allowed the choice to keep our baptismal names or petition for a saint's name. They didn't force obscure and weird saint's names on us anymore.

And I never beat my students! Although I could WHACK a ruler on a desk a millimeter from a daydreaming kid's fingertips.

Last edited by Calla Lily; 04-02-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Remembered this is the Historical board.
Calla Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #13
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post

If your book is pre-Vatican 2, anything goes! Find a catalogue of saints and feel free to saddle your nuns with what you like! Remember Sr. Polycarp in "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows"?
Loved that book, and "Trouble With Angels." They were so funny! (There was the homemakers class where the nun lisped and always said, "thewing" instead of "sewing." My older sister desperately wanted to attend an all-girls academy after she read it.)

But I digress. I knew of a Sister John of the Cross (whom the kids called Sr.John on the Cross--she seemed long-suffering), and Sr.Michael Immaculate whom the kids called Machine Gun Mike (a real toughie), and then there was.... Okay, I'll stop.

Since your novel probably is before 1962, they were given names of either male of female saints. After that, most reverted to their baptizmal names. And they started shedding their Habits. (We called it Kicking Their Habits.)

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
Evaine

Evaine is well-respected
The real confusion was at the university I went to. Both the Catholic and Anglican chaplains had nuns as their assistants. The Catholic nun wore jeans and sweatshirts. The Anglican nun wore full length grey habit and black veil. People who didn't know them were always getting confused.