Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's entirely possible.

The idea that she's "never heard of him" is a complete lie. Unless she's someone other than the "Sherry Fine" of the Literary Agency Group who's been posting here....

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Many of us think "Sherry Fine" is really none other than Bouncin' Bob himself, clad in a soiled yellow spring jumper, ensconced in a ramshackle cabin tucked deep back in a fetid Florida swamp, stogie stub clamped between his brown teeth, half-drained bottle of Jack before him as he ponders just how long his ruse will run. The mind reels, I tell ya...

Eutopian

LAG

LAG is the perfect word for this firm. This article about "publish america" says it all.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/publish.html

I know it is old, but it works. Is that you Jim in the article?

Bottom line, if everybody on this post filed a complaint with consumer affairs they would be out of business within the year. And you could probably get a class action suit just on the fact that they are associated with the editor they recommend.

These places aren't quite vanity, but they are Editing scammers.

P.S. If there is a confidentiality clause in a contract, and some thrid party editor has contacted you... that means your agent broke the law when they gave them your info. Chances are they didn't because it is the same company.

kjh7073

I Need a Clever Title :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kjhamilton.net
Well, hell. I wish I would've found this thread before today. I just wasted $78 for my critique. Dammit. So, if I don't sign the contract, then I'm not obligated any longer....right?

Pecons

Registered
Reaction score
20 worst list

Hey, you know how their is that 20 worst agent list flying around which is really helpful for new writers... can we get a 20 worst Publishers? There are tons of presses on the net like PA that are so convincing that they are different. It is frustrating.

I guess the most obvious red flag if you are a new writer is when anybody wants to publish your book. Ha.

Sorry to go off topic.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Just don't pay anyone anything to publish your book, and everyone should be okay. :D

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that's not true, either. I know you were being tongue-in-cheek, but you need to make smart business decisions when you submit your manuscript for publication--don't turn off your brain because someone says they'll publish your book.

kjh7073

I Need a Clever Title :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kjhamilton.net
I just wanted to post and say Thank You. Immediately after reading this post, I emailed and cancelled my critique and asked for my money back. I nearly fell for the whole shebang. I just got an email back saying "I will have the accounting department return your money." And, if they don't, I'll fight them. I paid thru paypal...and they're notorious for helping out people who've been scammed out of money.

*sigh* I'm still kind of upset that I didn't see right thru this. I was all excited, thinking that someone believed in my work....only to get my bubble popped (severely). ugh.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Pecons said:
I am new to this so maybe this is all old news... but I just found this site and it was really good for me. I am sure you guys have this somewhere up here. But for people that are fatheaded like me this could help.

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peba.htm

Yes, Dave Kuzminski, the host of P&E, used to be quite an active member here. He left in a disagreement over a minor policy.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eutopian said:
LAG is the perfect word for this firm. This article about "publish america" says it all.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/publish.html

The irony of it.

Slap bang at the top of the page in this consumer affairs article is an advert for the NYLA.

It sits there like a fox wearing a farmer's mask while guarding the chicken coop.

phaedra

Just wanted to give a hearty "thanks" for posting this thread. My husband found this "agency" over the weekend and was soooo excited that they were willing to read and accept his script.

I was skeptical about the whole thing because it seemed too good to be true, so I did some research this morning and found your forum.

I promptly sent an e-mail to "Sherry Fine" to let "her" know that we were on to "her". I also threatened "her" with legal action if "she" attempted to use any of the creative ideas contained within our e-mail. Now I can see that this overture was wasted..even after repeated invitations "she" has declined to post ANY incidences where "she" has sold just one script to a legitimate production house...but, oh..the lawyer in me couldn't resist......

I had the good fortune to sit next to a gal during the Cal Bar exam who had worked in Hollywood. She gave me some good advice...never give up, never take "no" for an answer and never pay an agent to peddle your script.

I think this is an excellent resource for writers...I am going to tell my husband about this site. I'm sure he wouldn't mind hanging around with such a great and intelligent group as this.

Thanks again!
Phae

Pecons

Registered
Reaction score
Stealing your work

I wouldn't worry about the agency stealing your work. First they would have to actually sell something before they could use your ideas... and that will never happen.

sundown

Just signed up today, after checking out the now infamous New York Literary Group. I sent in their web form, got my speedy reply from Sherry wanting more. Perhaps I could send her a Virus but that is all they will ever recieve from me. Thank you everyone for saving me the grief.

Egypt Sands

Count me out!

Thanks guys!
I just received an email from "Sherry" today saying that they liked my idea and wanted me to send my manuscript. I had already answered two questions in the body of my email, had attached the complete manuscript, and was about to click "SEND" when something told me to stop and check this place out first. I went to Google (which is how I first found them through their paid ad) and typed in "children's literary agency complaints" and found you guys sitting here having this lovely conversation. Three Cheers for the Age of Information! I went back to my email and just clicked Cancel and won't reply at all.... thanks for saving me the hassle. I reeeeally would like to find a reputable agent that takes children's books..... ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!???? PLEASE?
I will definitely have to stick around these boards and learn some more...
Thanks again,
Egypt:D

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Please don't send any viruses. It's a crime, and it's a bad idea.

For legitimate agents: go to your bookstore. See all those books? All of them were represented by legitimate agents. Find out who represented the books most like yours.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Is The Literary Group Legit?

Hi, I've searched this thread, but it's so long that I can't find the answer. Is The Literary Group out of New York legit? It certainly seems so, based on the titles and authors they list on their website, but the name is so close to all these scammers I want to be sure.

www.theliterarygroup.com

Any info as to whether they're legit or to run away greatly appreciated!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Wait a second, Tri. The website she gave is not the same as The Literary Agency Group (http://www.theliteraryagencygroup.com/). The style is completely different and the thing about all of Bobby's "agencies" is that they never list any books. The site Jeanne gave is chock full of author and book information. Not Bobby's style at all. And their submissions policy is entirely different.

I don't have the answer, but it bears further investigation.

Last edited:

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
There is a "REAL" Sherry Fine and I'm sure she is no way associated with these literary agencies. She works at an adoption agency in MA. (google search past the first page of negatives, and find the links) Considering the "Sherry Fine" I had contact with through NYLA couldn't possibly have the time to work for at least four of the agencies AND be in MA working in an adoption agency, I am sure that she is just a stolen identity of the real one. Regardless of who is doing what in Florida, under whatever assumed name, everyone should avoid contacting these literary agencies for representation. My story is the same as the hundreds of posts I've read on the subject. Once you get to a certain point and then refuse to send money, they drop you like a hot potato.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Literary Group out of New York is legit.

The Literary Agency Group that claims to be out of New York is a scam.

It's common for scammers to take names confusingly similar to legit companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.