Writers Literary Agency / The Literary Agency Group / LAG /TLAG

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostaria01

writer warrior
Registered
Reaction score
I enrolled and on the same day signed up to a yahoo writing group. I told them and they immediately warned me off, I got the contract and then my intuition told me to do some research which I promtly did and managd to stop the contract:
My quote was £100

C4xplosion

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I know i'm going to need alot of help with this and i am fuly capable of excepting constructive critism. That's what makes you better right? I've been none to give a few doses myself.

It is disappointing to get your hopes up and then have them smacked down so quick. I took chance one night and decided to look into lit agencys and they popped up. I didn't expect them to be full of shit.

I should not have been so hasty and when i recieved that reply i thought WOW!! miracles can hapen overnight. I should have sensed it was to good to be true. I know this takes time. I was over zealous.

Again thank you to all and i will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on my book in the near future.

xoxo

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Congratulations on completing your first work. You've come to the right place for help, but if you truly want a career in writing you will need to not only make the time to study those books at the library, you'll need to make the time to study the business of publishing in general.

One other thing that you need to do: Start work on your next book.

Old English

Registered
Reaction score
Almost another statistic!

Boy,how glad am I that i started to get that uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach when an agent suddenly seemed interested in my work. The contract arrived by e-mail and I dutifully sent it back asking for a reference for my work to be assessed. It seemed a little strange at the time that the e-mail address was almost the same. All day I've been thinking about it and I decided maybe it would be best to do some research before parting with my hard earned dosh, best choice I've made today! at least I've not sent the whole ms because it's not finished yet.

playdatemom

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I got a letter from them too a year ago. At first I was really happy. Then I checked them out and saw y'alls messages here. No better than Publish America. Why can't these companies just be honest? Good luck y'all.

SpecialKT

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaleidoscopicresonance.wordpress.com
Working for the Enemy?

Hi everyone. I want to thank you all for your diligence in your attempts to protect fellow writers. It really provides a great example of a strong writing community, and I'm happy I found this site, which I hope will be helpful for me in the future.

Let me introduce myself. I am a Bachelor of Arts candidate at Columbia College Chicago, majoring in Fiction Writing (for real! it's awesome!) I'm set to graduate this fall! I really enjoy, not just writing, but also reading other people's stories and helping them edit and rewrite to make their story the best it can possibly be. I recently started my own online literary magazine, Kaleidoscopic Resonance. Going into the second issue, I'm still smoothing out the wrinkles, but overall I'm pretty proud of it and it should only continue to get better. My goal after graduation is to find a good paying job (good enough to pay off my student loans) in publishing and editing.

So in an attempt to jump-start my career, I began searching for publishing jobs last March. And I ran across a very enticing post on WriteJobs.com offering the opportunity to telecommute - a dream job for a student! So I didn't even think to look into this company, apart from checking out their own website. I emailed the contact in the post and got setup to start work as a Poetry Critic for the infamous - *cue suspenseful music, dun Dun DUUUM* - Writer's Literary Services. I've been working there for 8 months now, fairly happily with only a few bad spots along the way. In September, I broadened the playing field by becoming a critic of Novels and Children's Stories in addition to Poetry. So knowing now that I am a regular person, a writer just like you all, who also works for the company in question, let me give you a taste of my experience, as a "tween-er", in between the tracks...

My job as a Critic for the Writer's Literary Services (or whatever our name is now, we've kinda sorta changed names twice since I've been working here) includes reading three poems from poets, the synopsis and a few pages to the first chapter from a novel, then providing a critique of the work based on prompted questions from the company's form and my own experience and opinions. I try to give the most honest and thorough critique of the artist's work to help them improve their writing and hopefully help them get published through improving their writing. I do admit to using generic "cut and paste" responses on certain topics, which amount to general tips that every new writer can use. However I only "cut and paste" when it is appropriate and I do provide examples of every criticism I make.

Every now and then I feel like I'm crushing some poor soul's dreams - seriously, you guys should see some of the garbage I get. Some days I do not look forward to opening the manuscripts. Ugh. But sometimes I get a real jewel. I've even started writing some promising names down to look out for in the future - if they ever end up getting published. And even better is when I get a diamond in the rough that I can really help with the tips and tools I've acquired from college and my experience in the industry. That is an awesome feeling! Anyway, the point I'm trying to drive home to everyone is that I work as an Independent Contractor for Writer's Lit. I am in no way affiliated with the company, nor do I have any secret motives of trying to rob poor unsuspecting writers. I think the reason they get to say that the critiques are done by objective third-parties is because they are done by people like me, even though we critics may work under a company that works alongside another company. Do I think the critiques are worth it for a writer? In some ways, yes, but in general, probably not. If you don't have a writing community to turn to for an honest opinion on your work, then yes, the critique is absolutely invaluable. If you do have a support system where you get valuable feedback, then you really shouldn't need the critique. And it seems to be a pre-requisite to some Literary Agencies. At any rate, I was getting paid $10 per critique. The math still doesn't add up to me - authors are paying $84 and I only get $10 of it, seriously? I asked for a raise when I quit my "day job" so to speak, to focus solely on my critiques and my last semester of college. Unfortunately, they turned me down. But I'm just happy to be getting paid for a service that I am paying my college to allow me to give to my fellow classmates!

Unfortunately for me, apparently all of the negative posts about this company have got around and with the economy already in shambles, I think Writer's Lit is about to fall. Recently, I received a pay cut by 25%. I now make $7.50 per critique, barely minimum wage in my state. The company hopes to make up for this cut at the end of each month after assessing their financial status and give a bonus to each employee based on the amount of work he/she has completed. Not holding my breath on that. For the past month, I'm missing two paychecks and one paycheck actually BOUNCED! I wish I was kidding. The company claimed to be having some "fraud activity" at the time, but I think it was bad bookkeeping, personally. Well, my bank charged ME with a $15 return check fee (what's that all about?) I've contacted my Administrator in Accounting about the bounced check (mind you, this is all through email) and it's been a week and I still haven't heard anything back. I have received and successfully deposited a paycheck into my account since the bounced check, so they haven't dropped out of the game just yet, but things are not looking good for them. I got online and Googled the name, realizing that if I lose my job and back pay, I have no way of contacting any other employees to band together with. I was hoping to connect with some other employees online and see if anyone else that worked for the company was having the same troubles I am. I keep thinking, what if they're scamming ME? It'd be just as easy to do as a writer. I hesitate to call it a scam though. They are providing a service, however misrepresented and disappointing some people feel it is. As to whether any one has actually been published by my company - well, I don't work for a literary agency, I work for an editing agency, so my company and I have no direct effect on whether an author actually gets published. Nor do we claim to. I stand proudly by the work that I've personally done for this company, though I'm still not sure about this Robert guy who signs my checks and I'm still not even sure that all the companies are not one in the same.

I hope that any of you who have received a critique understand now that we are real people working with you, not corporate zombie Nazis, even if the company we work for seems to be questionable at best. Everyone can use some valuable feedback from a knowledgeable insider. I'm in a bit of a pickle because I want out, but because of my personal situation - graduating from school, preparing to move, etc. - it will be difficult to get another job for just a month. So it seems I am stuck working for the enemy for the time being just to pay my bills. I'm hoping for the best. Hoping the company turns around and takes the actions to improve their ethics. Hoping they don't go under while I'm still working there. Hoping I will receive the pay that I am entitled to, that I worked hard for. And hoping that no more of my fellow writers will be duped into believing that an agent is really much help to a new writer.

I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors. Please be careful out there. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Just be gentle. I am a real person with real feelings, and not some blank face at the other end of the computer.

- Katie

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Special KT, I know you're a real person, and I wish you well. Here's the best advice I can give you.

1. Do whatever it takes to get WLS to pay what they owe you. Bug the bejeezus out of them until they give you checks that don't bounce.

WLS clients aren't assets, because WLS burns them. The only two assets WLS have are their well-honed scam business model, and their trained, reliable employees like you. Has it been clear to you that you and others like you are the ones doing all the work? Do you realize that WLS has been charging its clients $90.00 for the assessments for which they've paid you $7.50? You've been a real money maker for them.

If they can't afford to pay you, or they don't care about retaining your services, either their business is collapsing, or they're planning to abandon it. Either way, you need to get your last paychecks from them.

Do not be tempted to go into the business of selling $90.00 assessments directly to wanna-be writers. For one thing, you won't have the benefit of Robert Fletcher's business front end, which is a highly refined intake scoop for suckers. For another, doing that is like setting out to be a glamorous, highly selective, and well-paid courtesan: that may be what you imagine doing, but it's not where you'll wind up.

2. Look for a new job. If you really want to work in publishing, you need to move to New York. There are very few real publishing jobs in the Chicago area, and you're not in line for any of them. Your best move would be to get a job in a bookstore. That'll be worth a hundred times more in NYC publishing than your experience with WLS.

3. Honestly, pinky swear and hope to die: don't call yourself an editor when you're looking for a job, because you aren't one. With your background, any job you can get as an "editor" will be one you don't want. You're getting a BFA in creative writing, you've had some experience critiquing other students, and you've worked for WLS. That makes you an editor like someone who can drive nails is a carpenter.

If you really want to be an editor, you're going to have to take an entry-level job at a trade publishing house and learn from scratch. You're also going to have to unlearn a lot of what you think you know.

I'm not trying to be mean. At the moment, there is not a particle of mean in me. I do know what I'm talking about, and I'm trying to give you the best and truest advice I can. The fact is, you have some bad news coming to you. You can reject it, or you can listen and adjust your course and get on with your life.

4. Here's the hard part: having a history of working in a bookstore is also going to be worth more than that BFA you're scheduled to get. I'm truly sorry.

Creative writing programs have been popping up all over the American academic scene like moth eggs hatching in woollens in the spring. They're popular, they're cheap to administer and staff, and most people can't tell whether the instructors have any idea what they're talking about.

All of these programs have been turning out hundreds of graduates with BFAs and MFAs. An impressive number of those graduates can't write for beans, which means they can't support themselves or pay off their student loans by practicing their trade. This leaves them two options. One is to get a job doing clerical, sales, fast-food, or computer maintenance work. The other is to wedge themselves into an opening in the teaching/grant-getting/workshopping universe. They're joined in this by journalists who've been set at liberty by the ongoing collapse of the newspaper industry. Together, they help turn out yet more BFAs and MFAs.

I've looked at the list of full-time faculty members in your fiction-writing program. Roughly half of them have near-zero commercial publication credits, and many of those who have published commercially are journalists. The department chair has no history of commercial publication, unless you count instructional materials for wanna-be writers, which no one does. Five of the people on that list, including the department chair, describe themselves as having novels in progress (some of which appear to have been in progress for a long time), but have no published novels. That's something I'd expect to see in the students, not the teaching staff. One instructor says she's finished a book, but (a.) it's journalism or near-journalism, and (b.) she self-published it through BookSurge.

One full-time faculty member, Shawn Shiflett, is the nephew of the husband-and-wife team of professors who appear to be the real powers in the department. His only novel, published by Akashic, got one of the worst PW reviews I've seen in a while. More than one of the Amazon reader reviews accuses Shiflett of giving his students extra credit for posting good reviews of his book. I have no idea whether that's true. However, I strongly suspect that Shiflett paid for the review he got from The Joy of Publishing Writer's Service, an entity which makes a habit of giving four- and five-star reviews to books published by the likes of Dorrance and Publish America.

(Note: Akashic is a tiny, scrappy, upfront "urban publisher" that's happy to publish strange or irregular material as long as the author understands that they aren't going to sell many copies. It's a figleaf away from self-publication, but it is a real operation. A lot of novels by Columbia College faculty get published by Akashic.)

Three of the full-time faculty members got their Bachelors' or Masters' degrees from the Columbia College writing program. Almost all of them list publication credits from Sport Literate, Private Arts, or f Magazine, which are so closely tied to the Columbia College writing program that I'm tempted to refer to them as the department's clubzines. In general, publications of that sort, wherever they originate, are best understood to be academic fanzines: they don't pay their own way, they don't pay their contributors, and they're read by a relatively small sub-universe of enthusiasts who tend to know one another, and who write and publish their own fanzines for circulation within the group. A few -- TriQuarterly, f.i. -- are more like semiprozines.

A point in CC's favor: Phyllis Eisenstein is part-time faculty there.

Instruction is built around the Story Workshop Method (R). This was invented by professor emeritus John Schultz. He also runs the Story Workshop Institute:
The Story Workshop Institute is an independent educational and professional trade association, organized specifically to train and provide certification for teachers in the use of the Story Workshop approach, to promote the use of Story Workshop approaches, and to conduct Story Workshop programs for education and business. ... The Story Workshop Institute is a not-for-profit corporation under the laws of the State of Illinois.
How many schools use the Story Workshop Institute's training and certification program? Check it out. The independence of the Story Workshop Institute may be one of the most striking pieces of fiction produced by the Columbia College writing program. I could of course be wrong, but it does look like the department is running a round-robin self-accreditation system.

I'm not saying the Story Workshop Method is bad. It looks more like a good writing exercise than an overall system. Also, if you check out John Schultz's own material, here and here -- Amazon will let you read the frontmatter of his teaching manual -- it looks like it's more oriented toward nonfiction than fiction. Which stands to reason; John Schultz writes nonfiction. For writing fiction, if used all by itself, it strikes me as a recipe for generating interesting but unfinished stories.

I'm probably being too critical. I'm sure Columbia College teaches its students a great many worthwhile things about writing. But overall, what I'm seeing there is to commercially publishing fiction as home cooking is to running a chain of restaurants. If you want to be a professional editor, you still have a long way to go.

Anyway.

I truly am sorry. This has got to feel like Jacob finding out he has to work another seven years to get the sister he wants, or Parsifal being told he has to go back and do the whole quest over again. I'm not happy with what I'm telling you, but it does conform to reality as I know it, and I've worked in publishing a long time.

Truth is better, even when it hurts. One of the things we've observed over our years as scamhunting irregulars is the ever-increasing tendency of publishing scams to duplicate all the forms of real publishing without ever touching the real industry. It's like they're made out of fairy gold, and we're cold iron.

You've seen something of Robert Fletcher's scams for writers. What he's done to you is a scam as well, and he's not the first to do it. There've been a number of operations that have sold high-priced editing and editorial assessments to writers, and at the same time have sold underpaid would-be editors on the idea that they're getting hands-on experience and training.

There's more than one catch in that arrangement. First, the clientele has no idea what real editing looks like. The editors could get away with doing almost anything to them. You don't learn editing that way. Second, huge parts of an editor's job are missing from that arrangement. To go back to the cooking analogy, home cooking will teach you about ingredients, but it won't teach you about portion control, supplier relationships, or menu pricing strategies. Third, you're getting inapplicable experience. Scammers will take on anyone, no matter how bad they are. Most of what they handle is stuff you'd never lay hands on at a professional publishing house, except to put it into a return envelope accompanied by a polite rejection note. Fourth, the places where you want to work will not recognize what you've been doing as experience.

This forum sees a lot of writers who've been rooked. That's how some of the regulars first came here. Trust me on this one: our sympathy is vast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

KT Hapi Sofi really really does know whereof she speaks.

Hapi Sofi's advice is golden.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Its why she's so sparkly.

KT, please do post an update. I hope you get some money for all your work.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just a note, folks, to tell you that The Literary Agency Group is not "the former." They are still at it. They just emailed a friend of mine regarding a book she submitted to them many months earlier. She had enough sense to forward the letter to me. They are claiming sales (to HCI, for one) and a movie deal.

These folks are like the Hydra. Maybe that's what they should name themselves.

DP

ThePopSong

Registered
Reaction score
Contracts.

Hello.

I (very naïvely) signed a contract with a company on the 20 worst list (WL Writers Agency) and I don't reeeally understand what will happen next. I signed at the beginning of Septemeber meaning I am 3 months into a six-month contract.

I have been browsing other agents using the P&E list. What can I do next?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What you can do next is write them a letter telling them that, effective immediately, they do not represent you in any way for any thing.

Stop any payments to them.

Contact the Florida Attorney General
and turn over all correspondence that you had with them.

Continue your search for a real agent. Remember, a useful agent has sold books that you've heard of.

No legitimate agent charges any fees in advance or sends you to someone else who charges fees.
The case file cited below relates to a civil -- not a criminal -- investigation. The existence of an investigation does not constitute proof of any violation of law.

Case Number: L07-3-1146
Subject of investigation:
Writer's Literary Agency Group, Writer's Literary Agency, Writer's Literary & Publishing Services, New York Literary Agency, Writer's Literary Children's Agency, The Children's Literary Agency, Children's Book Publishing Agency, Writer's Literary Poet's Agency, Poet's Literary Agency, Poetry Book Publishing Agency, The Christian Literary Agency, Writer's Literary Screenplay Agency, Screenplay Writers' Agency, The Screenplay Agency, The Literary Agency Group, f/k/a Rapidpublishing-screenwriter911, Inc., Stylus Literary Agency, S T Literary Agency, Inc. , Writers Literary & Publishing Services Company, Writers' Book Publishing Agency, Strategic Publishing Group, Strategic Book Publishing, Strategic Book Marketing, AEG Publishing Group, My Editor Is A Saint, Author's Edge, Sydra-Techniques, Global Book Agency, Eloquent Books, and Robert M. Fletcher a/k/a Robert Williams a/k/a Bob WIlliams a/k/a Robert West and Leslie Williams a/k/a Leslie W. Mroz
Subject's address:
699 SW 8th Terrace, Boca Raton, FL 33486-5509 (Home Address) 1355 West Palmetto Park Road, Boca Raton, FL 33486 (P.O. Box) or 3840 West Hillsboro Blvd., #302, Deerfield Beach, FL 33442 (P.O. Box)
Subject's business:
Talent agency
Allegation or issue being investigated:
(1) Charging aspiring writers various fees totaling hundreds of dollars for professional services that were either not rendered at all or were not rendered in good faith; (2) Charging for unnecessary services; and (3) Creating unreasonable consumer expectations concerning their prospects for publication by failling to criticize submitted drafts, in order to encourage the consumer and collect more fees.
AG unit handling case:
Economic Crimes Division in West Palm Beach, Florida

Tobin

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this outfit?

Writers Literary Screenplay Agency

It came up on a search I was running for screen play help. Its was the first thing on the list to pop up. Have any of you (my bretheren & sisteren) ever hear of this firm?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Writers Literary Screenplay Agency

It came up on a search I was running for screen play help. Its was the first thing on the list to pop up. Have any of you (my bretheren & sisteren) ever hear of this firm?
They are the same outfit under investigation by the Florida Attorney General. See three posts above.

me+3

Umm...I don't know if you actually read the contract you signed, but you have the right to back out of the contract for any reason at any time. Hil Mallory is my agent and has certainly never scammed me. We've had quite a successful partnership, actually. But back to the contract stuff, it states in their contract that you can "fire" them within 90 days of the start of the contract if you are not satisfied with their work for any reason. So, it's kinda silly to make it sound like you went in and threatened to take legal action or something when you had every right to just say "this isn't working" and leave....

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hil Mallory is my agent and has certainly never scammed me. We've had quite a successful partnership, actually.

What do you mean by "never scammed"? Has "Hil" ever suggested that you pay money for something -- say, for a web page, or for an "aggressive agent" or for an edit?

What do you mean by "successful"? Has "Hil" ever sold anything for you to a non-vanity press?

Have you ever talked with "Hil" on the phone?

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I just got a contract emailed to me from Eloquent books.

It says in the contract that royalties will be paid to the author at 6% for the first 500 books, with small steps up thereafter. I queried this as it states 50/50 in their FAQ (joint venture thing) and he sent back that the FAQ is 'not quite right'. I have queried it again today as the 50/50 thing is shown as being the whole point of Eloquent books, and it is stated repeatedly in every email I have had from them, in their FAQ and on their website. I'm interested to see what I get for a reply.

They also want $2500 to cancel a contract with them. Is this normal?

There were several other issues I had with their contract (I studied Commercial Law at uni) that just don't seem right, no matter what explanation they give.

Thinking I'll pass on this one...

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
AEG/Strategic Book Publishing (a.k.a. Robert Fletcher) is currently offering authors a choice of buying 5 books a week for a year at list price (250 books total) or paying $675 upfront.

You can become an additional named insured on AEG's publishers' insurance policy for $495 (insurance companies typically add named insureds at no charge or at a minimal fee--less than $100--so there's a nice profit here).

Strategic's contract is an all-rights, life-of-copyright contract with an inadequate reversion clause (when and how a work is taken out of print is not defined). Authors can terminate the contract---but if they do so after the publisher has performed 5 or more hours of work, they must pay a $1,000 kill fee. If they terminate after the book has been sent to the printer, the kill fee rises to $2,500.

There are other nonstandard aspects to Strategic's contract, but those are the standouts. You will never find provisions like these in contracts from reputable commercial publishers.

- Victoria

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
After calling them out on the fact the contract they sent me was misleading, Robert has sent me a different one, and said that they are 'in the midst of a contract split'.

Anyone have any idea what that's supposed to mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.