A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
This is a gorgeously-written YA book that is begging to win some kind of award. I don't know why it hasn't, yet. The themes it deals with (death, forgiveness, letting go, family issues) are important, and the characters are deep and lovely.

I couldn't put this book down. I got it from the library, and I might have to go out and buy it.

It did strike me as a little racy for teenagers. I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone under eighteen; the love scenes are a little too graphic for the younger crowd.

Has anyone else had the pleasure (or not, I suppose, deciding on your opinion) of reading it?

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi vvgooding.

I read it right after it came out, (we're both Willamette Writers--gotta support the locals :)) & really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how graphic it is, but it'd been quite a while since I read any YA. I've heard her speak a couple of times; she didn't write it with a YA audience in mind so maybe that's why it reads a little mature.

What I liked most about the book, was that I didn't see everything coming. Usually foreshadowing is more like a brick to my head, but she does a great job.

I haven't read Laura's book about writing/publishing a first novel, but I'm sure it's worth a look (I plan to, really!). I've used some of her tips, and had an "ah-ha" moment at her reading. :)

Last edited: