Midwives by Chris Bohjalian

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I finished this a couple of weeks ago and it was an excellent read. I loved that the narrator of the story was a young girl. I also appreciated her strength and how the writer handled her development toward adulthood. I found it interesting. how her almost ideal childhood changed so dramatically and the struggle that her family went though to try and get past it.

Anyone else read this one?

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
I love this book!!! Love, love, love. But I was a doula and was in school to be a midwife until it took too much time away from my son. I thought it presented arguments for both midwifery and more mainstream consumer medicine. It would be ideal if alternative methods and consumer methods of medicine could merge -- which in a way is what happened at the end through the daughter's practice. I've read almost all of Bohjalian's books (not the new one yet) and really love his writing style and topics.

Also, on a side note Bohjalian emailed me through My Space. I hate My Space but I owed my sister a favor (long story) and her lame idea was for me to sign up on My Space. Anyhow, I put Bohjalian's name in my list of favorite books and he emailed me out of the blue saying how he was honored to see his name on a favorites list and some other stuff. He seemed very laid back and nice. Not sales man like at all. That was cool because authors I like are the only people I get starstruck about. It made me like him just a bit more.

~ Jennifer

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes he's very friendly and humble to talk to. Lovely man! I ADORED this book. The way the diary entries tied in....brilliant!
One of my favourite books! I also really enjoyed The Law of Similars. Buffalo Solider is on my book shelf but I haven't got around to reading it yet.