In-Depth Look At The Inciting Incident

JoeNYC

What's essential for story is a state of change in the protagonist's status quo. The Inciting Incident is the first crucial event in Act 1 that'll cause a change in the protagonist's status quo (existing conditions), either at that moment or later on if the protagonist wasn't at the scene when the I.I. happened.

You may hear different names (terms) expressed for this first significant event by different gurus and teachers, which may cause confusion:

McKee calls it: Inciting Incident
Seger calls it: Catalyst
Mamet calls it: Disordering Event
Cambell calls it: Call to Action/Adventure
And there are other terms, such as, Triggering Event.

When you hear these different terms, don't be confused. They all mean the same thing: The first crucial event (plot point) in Act 1 that'll cause a change in the protagonist's status quo.

I'm going to use the term Inciting Incident since this is the term that's used the most.

The Inciting Incident triggers the central problem, thereby launching the story and giving the audience their first glimpse of what the story is going to be about.

It's this problem that'll ULTIMATELY make the protagonist act, struggling through the remainder of the story in an effort to get a handle on the problem. The protagonist may go on this journey willingly or with uncertainty, but either way, he or she is going -- or you won't have a story.

The Inciting Incident hooks the viewer/reader, who now craves the answer to the Major Dramatic Question (MDQ), keeping them engrossed until the third act climax.

An example: "Witness"

Inciting Incident: An Amish boy witnesses a murder in a train station bathroom.

MDQ: Will the Detective (protagonist) find the killers and bring them to justice?

The antagonist activates the majority of stories. He's the one who usually initiates the problem that upsets the protagonist's world, where the protagonist now has to ACT in order to correct it.

To locate the Inciting Incident in a story you need to ask yourself these questions: Who is the protagonist? What's their goal/motivation? Who or what is in their way from achieving this goal? Who or what is the antagonist? What do they desire? Why does the protagonist get in their way?

With the answers to these questions, you should be able to figure out what the Inciting Incident is in a story. If the answers don't jive into a clear I.I., then there may be structural problems.

Sometimes an Inciting Incident needs two events because the protagonist wasn't at the scene when the initial incident occurs.

For an example of a two-part Inciting Incident we'll use "Witness":

An Amish boy witnessing a murder in a train station bathroom stirs up the story and when the Amish boy points out to the Detective that the murderer is one of his own, this incites the protagonist (Detective) to take action. This causes conflict, which causes an entertaining and compelling story.

Usually the Inciting Incident will affect the story and protagonist at the same time, but when it doesn't, the Inciting Incident will need two events in order to be completed: An event that stirs up the story, and then an event where the protagonist's course converges with the earlier story incident.

Some writers don't agree with the two-part (two events) I.I. They feel the I.I. acts like a domino effect and will eventually cross paths with the hero, which would make him act.

This opinion is fine.

The idea behind the two-part II is a structural tool to make sure the writer knows that the II isn't completed until the protagonist is affected and takes -- ACTION.

Otherwise, if he doesn't cross paths with the earlier story incident, he doesn't take action and it would be a very boring story.

McKee gave an example of this with Mel Gibson's "The River."

The story incident happened in the first act, but it wasn't completed, where it affected Mel's character, until the third act. This made for a boring movie where Mel went on with his everyday duties, oblivious to the earlier story incident until the story was almost over.

As for the placement of the Inciting Incident, there is no rule concerning what minute or time the story should start. The incident could happen on the very first page or toward the end of Act 1. It all depends on your story and what works.

(After thousands of years of observations of what works and what doesn't, it's been determined that the II is most effective when located in the first act.)

Studio executives like to see the writer get into the story within the first 10 pages (10 minutes) because they fear the audience will become bored, but this is geared more toward mainstream, commercial stories.

You will notice that in the majority of commercial stories, somewhere between page 1 and 10 an incident is going to occur that'll get the plot in motion, where the audience will now know what the story is about and the spine of the plot.

Remember though, it's whatever works for your story. If your story needs the I.I. to happen after 10 pages, fine, but I'd strongly suggest you have an entertaining subplot going on before then to hold the audience's attention until the main plot kicks in.

For example, with the movie "Rocky" the first half of the I.I. kicks the main story in motion at the end of Act 1, around page 30, where Apollo decides to give an unknown a shot to fight the world champion. (The end of Act 1 plot point does double duty: II and major turning point.)

The II is completed in Act 2 around page 55, when Apollo offers the shot to Rocky.

So, the II in "Rocky" doesn't happen -- a commercial movie -- until well after 10 pages, but there are a couple of subplots (his strong arm job and romancing Adrian) going on until then to hold the audience's attention.

But, yes, the "Rocky" situation is a rare case. With most commercial movies the II will happen within the first 10-15 pages.

Artistic movies usually take longer to set up, so it's not surprising when the I.I. happens after 10 pages.

For example, with the "Kiss of the Spider Woman" the I.I. doesn't happen until toward the end of Act 1.

You can express an Inciting Incident through action, dialogue or situations.

Examples:

Through action (This is the strongest way to get the problem across.): In the movie "Italian Job" the antagonist kills Donald Sutherland's character and swipes the gold.

Through dialogue: Indiana Jones is told that his father has vanished.

Through situations: In the movie "Tootsie" there's a series of situations over the first act that expresses to us the protagonist's problem of struggling to find work.

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
To Joe NYC.
Many thanks.
You have certainly made things a little clearer, for me personally.
Joe, you mention that, the first crucial event(plot point), is also referred to as the inciting incident.
I have read that a screenplay can have numerous plot points,so is the inciting incident just that the initial plot point of the story.
I read that plot points are used to hook into the story,thus swinging it into a new direction.
I know Syd Field states, the most important Plot Points are the ones that, swing us from Act One, into Act Two,and From Act Two, into Act Three.
He states that these two are crucial.
I went through a stage a few months ago,where I compulsively looked through literally hundreds of websites(more or less).
I became very compulsive,mainly due to the fact that there were so many varying opinions on the how's, when's, and where's of Screenwriting Structure and Formatting.
I once read an article that stated "Do not read to many articles on how to write screenplays", the author then said, "Including the article your now reading".
His point being that, a person will eventually suffer from information overload.
I went through that period before,whereby numerous information I read by certain gurus, and well known Screenwriting teachers,contrasted(sometimes contradicted), with other well known teachers and gurus.
Oh well! I guess that just adds to all the fun of Screenwriting.
Fantastic advice,Joe.
Daniel. ,

Last edited:

jonpiper

Registered
Reaction score
To Joe NYC.
Many thanks.
You have certainly made things a little clearer, for me personally.
Joe, you mention that, the first crucial event(plot point), is also referred to as the inciting incident.
I have read that a screenplay can have numerous plot points,so is the inciting incident just that the initial plot point of the story.
I read that plot points are used to hook into the story,thus swinging it into a new direction.
I know Syd Field states, the most important Plot Points are the ones that, swing us from Act One, into Act Two,and From Act Two, into Act Three.
He states that these two are crucial.

Also, according to Field, plot points are the points, or events, or incidents in the story that twist and turn the plot. A good story needs twists and turns. They keep the story moving ahead while maintaining the audience's attention and interest. They add mystery and suspense.

Field also says the screenplay should have a plot point that hooks the reader/audience no more than ten minutes into the story. Some say that particular plot point should be the inciting incident, but from what I've read, the inciting incident could be any one of many plot points in the first act.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum, good kickoff post. :)

-Derek

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
To Jonpiper.
That's an interesting point you mention,in reference to the inciting incident being any one of the Plot Points, from the first act.
I have sometimes watched certain movies, assuming a particular event was the inciting incident, or the first major plot point.
Yet certain Gurus, and well known writers, have indicated a different event.
I must have been looking at "A" plot point among many,assuming it was, "The plot point,or inciting incident" among many.
So going by what :Joe NYC, and you have written.
The inciting incident, sets up the Premise of the story,getting the audience(reader) hooked.
Whilst the plot points keep the story interesting,therefore keeping the audience(reader) hooked.
Makes a lot of sense.
Many thanks Joe and Jon.
Daniel.

jonpiper

Registered
Reaction score
That's the way I see it, Daniel. But I'm not an expert. All my knowlege comes from about a year of reading books and writing and a few months of participating in the Absolute Write and Done Deal forums.

All the books try to explain how to write a story that is filmable and "interesting." An interesting story is one that grabs the audience and carries them along, and this is where plot points come into the mix.

An interesting plot seems to have unpredictable twists and turns that turn the plot off course, take it in a different direction, a detour on the way to the end. It took me a while to understand that the word "point" in plot points referred to the points or times in the plot when something (an incident or event) causes the story to turn off the predictable course.

My (jonpiper) own thought is that different gurus call certain plot points in the story different names. They have theories about when in the perfect screenplay these specific incidents should happen. The definition of the inciting incident plot point could be what what JoeNYC says it is.

In the Slush Pile thread, Petrea, who is a professional Reader, says:

If something big doesn't happen in the first ten pages--and I mean something HUGE--it's an automatic reject. By order of the agency's owner.

Something has to happen to your MC that throws him or her, big-time, into action, therefore throwing us (audience), into the story. Mamet says story is about your hero trying to put his disordered world back into order, and I think that's a good way to look at it. So if we're going to see the world in order, fine, but it's got to be thrust into disorder (perhaps by an event?) in the first ten pages. Or sooner.

Some people call this point the inciting incident. But it may not be THE inciting incident, just a damn good plot point. The definition of the inciting incident plot point may be JoeNYC's definition.

Last edited:

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having film school flashbacks to this one semester when Witness was the example for everything. Today we're going to talk about Screenwriting. Today we're going to talk about Cinematography. Today we're going to talk about Editing -- and every time, the example was Witness! My friends and I joked that clearly it's the most perfect movie ever made =)

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
To Jonpiper.
I see what your getting at .
Having a story with lots of interesting plots and sub-plots,basically having many layers.
I also like what Petrea has written, regarding the importance of something major happening in the first ten pages.
After I read about this in Syd Fields book : Screenplay,I now have the habit of timing the movie,looking to see at what point the story grabs me.
I am sure there are a few exceptions to the rules,though not many.
Many thanks again Jon.

To zeprosnepsid.
I have noticed this also.
Certain Gurus and Teachers,constantly refer to one particular screenplay or another.
Though I must admit,the Screenplays which I was told to study,are all very well written.
And the films which emanated from these Screenplays,are among the greatest.
I guess that's why they're the guru's,and we're the students.
Oh well!
Back to the grindstone.
Take care .
Daniel.

jonpiper

Registered
Reaction score
To Jonpiper.
I see what your getting at .
Having a story with lots of interesting plots and sub-plots,basically having many layers.

Daniel, let me clear up one thing about plots and plot points.

I think you can still have a good story without interesting sub-plots. But it is important that the main plot of the story has twists and turns. Plot points are events within the plot that turn the plot to an unexpected direction. The same plot still moves forward but not along the same path it was taking.

Does that make sense?

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
To Jonpiper.
Yeah, it's Clear!
Thanks Jon.
I wandered off the central story line(main plot) a little there.
I imagine a story with too many subplots going on, would not go down very well.
My tutor(Teacher) stated that," The most important thing is to keep the story moving forward",or "what happens next".
He also said, "the most important thing is the story".
So as you've mentioned having a solid central theme,with some twists(plot points) to spice it up,makes for very good advice.
This would keep the audience both entertained(story moves forward), and interested(twists and turns).
Many thanks again.
Daniel.