Learn Writing with Uncle Jim, Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

Make sure the front end of your book matches the back end.

And start writing your next book.

Could you please elaborate on front end matching back end.

On writing a new novel; I have this inability to multi task on two novels at the same time. I have tried doing it, but it seems that I do this at the detriment of one MS over the other.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Could you please elaborate on front end matching back end.

Make sure that everything you planted at the beginning sprouted and bore fruit by the end. Make sure everything you harvest at the end was properly planted at the beginning.

Chekhov's gun and all that.

On writing a new novel; I have this inability to multi task on two novels at the same time. I have tried doing it, but it seems that I do this at the detriment of one MS over the other.

You might surprise yourself.

You aren't writing the old novel any more -- you're editing it.

Try to write a page a day of Something New and Different.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I have begun rereading the messterpiece. I think now the capture boxes were violently clumsy but have an idea about what I can do instead.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Happy Easter. It's time to start fresh, all. Make tomorrow your new beginning.

Be well,
Ken

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not disputing that. I'm simply flabbergasted by people who want to be writers, yet won't read books nor learn from others.

Everyone has their own approach to getting from point A to point B. And, what you discribe above may be what the majority of people do, or what some believe and recommend to be gospel. Though I wouldn't deem it the only road to a successful writing career.

I mean, how many folks have done just what flabbergasts you, and have failed anyway?

What works for some doesn't for others. Pick your best route and travel it to the best of your abilities. Writing is all about trial and error, isn't it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Though I wouldn't deem it the only road to a successful writing career.

I think that reading books is absolutely essential to having a successful writing career. I really don't think there's any other way you can do it. I have never encountered a successful professional writer who did not read.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Reading in general, yes. Reading how-to-write books? Maybe not so much.

They can help with the technical aspect, get you thinking about how you write -- and that's a good thing. Past a certain point, though, it's up to you.

Like a cookbook - they teach you the basics, and then after a certain point, your recipes are your own invention. Knowing the basic technical stuff gives you a nice base to leap from.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The positive side of reading other literary works is, seeing how someone who was successful, did it. How they made the reader care about the character, painted scenes with words that put you there, etc.

The negative, You also can become, and most do, a copycat. Sometimes it's good to be a copycat, and sometimes it isn't.

Take for instance JRR Tollkiens works. They didn't become popular until after his death. His fantasy world was a new realm that hadn't been uncovered previously, and the lord of the rings was not popular in the least, if you can believe that. Brilliant imagination.

Terry Brooks as much as admitted that after reading Tolkiens works he wrote the Sword of Shannara. The parallels are unmistakeable.
From Brook's Alanon/Tollkien Gandolf, to Shea Omhsford/Bilbo Baggins. And it doesn't stop there! The Shire/Shady vale, The unwillingness to go on an adventure, and the longing to return to what once was and knowing it never will be the same again. It's like watching a re-run evertime you pick up a book. Did it work for him, sure it did. Had we seen it before, yes. Are we still seeing it, yes. And we'll continue to see it. Tollkien imagined a whole new genre and he's still copied today from cranium to toenail.

I wish we had a new master imaginator in our world, instead of copycats on different colored horses.

So it's good to read as a writer,agreed. What we learn and employ....

Good luck in whatever you have in the works.
Ken

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
The positive side of reading other literary works is, seeing how someone who was successful, did it. How they made the reader care about the character, painted scenes with words that put you there, etc.

I've also found there is some benefit in reading other literary works to see how someone was unsuccessful.

I find after reading bad fiction, you can highlight what was wrong and be sure to avoid it in your own writing.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also found there is some benefit in reading other literary works to see how someone was unsuccessful.

I find after reading bad fiction, you can highlight what was wrong and be sure to avoid it in your own writing.

If you bought and read it, the book was successful.

To me, anything that gets published by a reputable publishing house and is sold in bookshops has merit. Therefore isn't bad writing, just not the readers cup of tea if rejected as such.

Publisher's editors know what they're looking at when they read a script and wouldn't publish slush. They're in it to make money, and publishing bad writing doesn't further their cause.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I will begin this with IMHO.
Writing is a craft as much as it is an art. As a craft, there are skills that must be learned. How-to books are one source for learning those skills. Just sitting in front of a keyboard and writing will not help you acquire skills that you do not have. Once you learn the skill, writing will help you hone the skill.
I played golf for several years, never breaking 100. In one game I played with a scratch golfer, who watched my swing and showed me how to swing properly. My game improved considerably because I learned a new skill.
Since I don't have someone like Uncle Jim looking over my shoulder as I write, I need to look elsewhere to learn the skills. I look to the How-to books among other places. I also read them with the full knowledge that the author's way is not the ONLY way. I should also note that I have learned as much from this forum, as I have from the books, but I don't think I would have had the level of understanding of the topics discussed here, had I not done my homework with the How-to books.
With all that said, I will agree with Uncle Jim, You must write to become a writer.

StoryMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new around here, but I have finished the first draft of my first novel. I have also written a large number of small stories.

This thread (I am up to page 6, but couldn't stand not giving kudo's), is absolutely amazing.

Thanks for your effort, thanks for helping me in my writing career even though you have never met me.

Bob

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Reading in general, yes. Reading how-to-write books? Maybe not so much.

Oh, yes. I couldn't agree more.

I thought the poster meant reading in general. I'm not such a fan of most how-to-write books (though you'll pry my copy of Patricia Highsmith's Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction out of my cold, dead hands--and there's a Highsmith image right there!)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Take for instance JRR Tollkiens works. They didn't become popular until after his death.

Say what? The Lord of the Rings was incredibly popular in the mid-sixties, and hasn't stopped since. (Do you recall the text on the back of the Ballantine edition, "Those who approve of courtesy, at least, to living authors...."?) Do you remember the Ace Books pirate edition?

Yes, The Sword of Shanara was as close to plagiarism of The Lord of the Rings as copyright law would allow. Lester Del Rey knew it, but figured (correctly) that he'd make a ton of money by publishing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.