Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I like PlanetC's version, only maybe shorter: "DFS put us in a group home." Jennifer always thought of the Division of Family Services as a grotesque uncle...

Chris Huff: I believe Finnegan's Wake is a bitch, although I never found the time to try it. I agree with you there. It probably should never have been published.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Here's a bigger part of the section, so you can see what I'm doing. I definately think it is clear, but let's see what the masses have to say;)

“[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Not something I talk about much. When we were young, our parents split.” Jefferson shook a Marlboro out of a pack, then pushed the car lighter into its receptacle. “I don't mean split up, I mean split.” He lit the Marlboro, and inhaled deeply. “I was twelve, my brother was fourteen. We were alone in the apartment a month before the landlord came bitching about the rent. We were both malnourished, and Demetrius was sick with the flu, as well.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Courier New, monospace]DFS put us in a group home, then Demetrius got placed with a nice, stable family in the city. I didn't see him again for over a year. After he moved out, I ran away from the group home and joined in with the gangs."[/FONT]​

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Here's a bigger part of the section, so you can see what I'm doing. I definately think it is clear, but let's see what the masses have to say;)

“[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Not something I talk about much. When we were young, our parents split.” Jefferson shook a Marlboro out of a pack, then pushed the car lighter into its receptacle. “I don't mean split up, I mean split.” He lit the Marlboro, and inhaled deeply. “I was twelve, my brother was fourteen. We were alone in the apartment a month before the landlord came bitching about the rent. We were both malnourished, and Demetrius was sick with the flu, as well.[/FONT]

“[FONT=Courier New, monospace]DFS put us in a group home, then Demetrius got placed with a nice, stable family in the city. I didn't see him again for over a year. After he moved out, I ran away from the group home and joined in with the gangs."[/FONT]​

It looks good. It explains enough and if the reader wants more information they still have that option.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! A fresh newb, right here. :e2writer:

I am just starting to explore fantasy and sci-fi for the younger reader. I am committed to two projects, and I have been faithfully writing every day for the past two months. On one hand, I'm proud of the progress I've made and the things I've learned. I feel good about my story-lines, and feel confident about certain passages.

On another hand... Any advice for those days when you feel your writing is dry and your plot is pointless? It can be very discouraging and frustrating! :Hammer:

Thanks!

PlanetCaravan

Registered
Reaction score

In context, it's even more clear. I think you're good.
Adding an explanation would just slow things down. That's my opinion, anyway.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I agree with PlanetC. No sweat. Even I could work out what sort of org DFS is.

Note the spelling of definitely, Steve.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
I guess the secret is in following one novel with another and then another, ad infinitum. The combined royalties would eventually add up to a more interesting amount.

Just as Uncle Jim has been telling us for years... :D

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
The Hounds of the Moor is over in Horror. Euclid, don't be mad if I royally screwed up England;)

Has anyone ever felt such a strong desire to write a story, had it mapped out, sat down to do it and just lost it? I'd walked down to the store earlier, and as I was walking back I saw a Corvette with driving gloves on the dash, and had a great idea for a flash fiction comedy. For once I remembered it when I got back... usually I only have a thready idea of the premise, which I write down and sometimes later come back to. Missy Duquesne was one such story. Had the idea mapped out, forgot it before I could get it out, but the final product was much better than my first vision of it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
And it's time to play First Page!

1. First Sight

My mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down. It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix, the sky a perfect, cloudless blue. I was wearing my favorite shirt--sleeveless, white eyelet lace; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture. My carry-on item was a parka.

In the Olympic Penninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constant cover of clouds. It rains on this inconsequential town more than on any other place in the United States of America. It was from this town and its gloomy, omnipresent shade that my mother escaped with me when I was only a few months old. It was in this town that I'd been compelled to spend a month every summer until I was fourteen. That

Okay, everyone! Do you turn the page, or do you put the book back on the shelf?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
And it's time to play First Page!

Okay, everyone! Do you turn the page, or do you put the book back on the shelf?

Actually I skipped this page. Had I read it first, it would have gone back on the shelf. This page especially sounds like a 30+ year old woman speaking rather than the 17 year old girl it's supposed to be,

Status
Not open for further replies.