Nora Roberts

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I've been posting as spacekitton. Lately, I've been thinking I'm not like a little kitton anymore, and decided to give myself a new, more mature handle. I like this forum.

I'm really new to reading and writing in English. I've been trying to read established writers in many different genre, as well as classics. Although I thought the cover looked really corny, I thought what the hell, she's a very popular writer, and picked up this book called Blue Smoke. I didn't really wanted to like this book so much, but man, she really sucked me in!

I think her writing is a pretty solid example of modern day American female author. I am reading English translation of Count of Monte Cristo at the same time, and it's kind of boring me, and contrasting from Nora Roberts. I want to put it down but since I want to be a well-read person, I'm hanging on to it. But the story progression is much slower. Nora Roberts' writing is much leaner and fast. (of course, it might be better if i read it in French.)

I liked the romance and sex in Nora Roberts'. Though it's kind of embarrassing to say so.. I feel like such a chick.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I've read exactly three Nora Roberts novels. I was impressed with how many books she sells, so I thought I ought to read her. I went to the library and grabbed one--can't remember the name of it now--but it was the first of a trilogy. I finished the book in a day, went back to the library and picked up #2 and #3 and devoured them as well.

Now I'm scared to pick up any more of her books. If I get hooked on her, I've got a HUGE backlist to get through!

The trilogy I read (the Key? I think; I remember there was a creepy castle and souls trapped of three princesses who were also in a portrait in the castle, who oddly looked like the characters in the book) was more fantasy than romance, and I don't remember any sex. Or maybe I skipped it.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
I'm a Nora addict. Love JD Robb too which is her pen name for the "In Death" series. I've read her so much I know who is going to hook up with who and in which order in her trilogies but it doesn't make them any less fabulous. Just gives me the smug satisfaction that "I called it" LOL

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I like her In Death series that she writes as JD Robb. Even though there's like twenty books in the series, they're all very different. The only thing that remains the same is the fact that the lead character, Dallas, has smokin' hot sex with her hubba-hubba hubby, Roarke, by about page 70.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I've got Memory in Death on the bookshelf. Haven't read it yet. Should I put it next on the list?

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I have a friend who only reads Nora Roberts. She's addicted. I've tried a few (aside from the Garden trilogy) and haven't been able to finish them. But my library only has a limited selection. I should try to find more, because I did like the way the trilogy was written. :)

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
I really recommend the "Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, Heart of the Sea" Trilogy

As well as "Dance Upon the Air, Heaven and Earth, and Face the Fire,"

Oh yeah and "Sea Swept, Rising Tides, Inner Harbor, and Chesapeake Blue"

And her latest "Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods, and Valley of Silence"

Those are her best trilogies. Especially the last one listed.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
For her stand alone books I recommend her latest ones as opposed to her older ones. Like Angel's Fall, Blue Smoke, and Midnight Bayou

I feel like a Nora Roberts pusher. LOL

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
Lostgirl, you certainly knows Roberts! I'm really new to reading English novels, and I'm sort of scanning through the different genre. But I know for sure her book has been the most addicting so far!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I definitely like her newer books better than her older ones. Blue Smoke is good, so is The Reef. Angels Fall is well done too, and I love Montana Sky.

I just finished the Gallagher trilogy and it was pretty good. Loved the Three Sisters Island trilogy, and the Three Keys series. Tried to read Morrigan's Cross and honestly, I got bored about three chapters in. I couldn't give two poos about any of the characters.

Dallas of the In Death series is definitely the most well-defined character she's ever created, and so is Roarke, but of course she's had like 20 books to develop their personalities.

Be warned, Siddow. If you read one In Death book, next thing you know you'll be scrabbling through the aisles at Half Price Books looking for the whole rest of the series.

Plan accordingly.

Angelique

A Walking Contradiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tc-anderson.livejournal.com
What's your favorite Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb novel?

What's your favorite Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb novel? Why?

I loved Divine Evil, and I don't know if it's because it was the first novel of hers I read or if it's because it was the most shocking for me.