Stupid question! Song lyrics as book titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

I say "stupid question" because the question of using song lyrics in one's novel comes up so many times that there seems to be no excuse for my asking this.

But.

There are successful books out there with titles from song lyrics. First example that swoops to mind: a series of titles from Wally Lamb: "I Know This Much Is True". "She's Come Undone". "Couldn't Keep It To Myself". It gets me wondering: Are titles an exception to the "better not use even one line of a song because you'll have to get permissions and that'll cost a bundle"? Or did Lamb's publisher think these titles were just so darn good as to be worth obtaining the rights?

-----------------------​

I am in fact rather attached to three words from a Tori Amos song for the title of the book I'm currently working on. My current thoughts are...

A) Eek! Song lyric! From a current song! That's never a good idea.

B) Besides, the reference is a little obscure. The appropriateness of the title depends on the reader actually knowing the next two words of the song (and this song wasn't one of that album's radio hits). The few times I've seen obscurely appropriate lyrics used as titles, the book generally includes the whole verse as an epigraph, just to make sure The Reader Gets It. In which case, see thought A).

C) But then again... editors change titles all the time, so what can it hurt to have that be the title when I start submitting the manuscript?

-----------------------​

...Thoughts?

evanaharris

Well, i'd imagine you'd have to ask permission from the publisher of the lyrics and pay them on a per-line basis (from what I understand,) just as you would if you wanted a character to quote the lyrics in a dialogue, or if you used them as an epigram at the beginning of your novel.

I wouldn't do it if the title didn't make sense without the rest of the lyric, though. Maybe if it was revealed somewhere else in the book...

And I wouldn't bother with it until you and your editor had settled on that as the title, cause why pay for usage rights if you never, you know, *use it*...

Greenwolf103

From what I have heard, you can't copyright a title -- song or otherwise.

maestrowork

If you use a specific lyric, you'll need permission even if you're only using it as a title.

It's probably not a good idea based on what you've already figured out. Besides, publishers are likely to change your title anyway.

katdad

Song titles are not copyright protected.

But another point, made here by someone else -- if you choose a title, pick one that's in the common memory. That means not choosing a current pop hit, because a year from now nobody will remember.

Frankly, "She's Come Undone" and "Couldn't Keep It To Myself" are titles I've NEVER heard.

But if you pick a "classic" title, one that's passed into common use, then you will make it pertinent. Titles like:

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand"
"Strawberry Fields"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"Satisfaction"

or

"Some Enchanted Evening"
"You'll Never Walk Alone"

NicoleJLeBoeuf

OK, so the consensus seems to be -

If you want to use a song title for a book title, slap it on page one with a clean conscience.

If you want to use a song lyric that isn't the title, don't bother.

All righty then.

In either case, editors change titles upon publication, so don't get attached... I wonder, though, whether it's worth mentioning a song lyric title to an editor, just in case the editor thinks it's super-good and worth pursuing the rights to?

maestrowork

You should always do what you think is right for your book. If you strongly believe in a title, tell your editor. If you need to get permission or rights to that title, go ahead and get permission. Don't compromise your work because you don't want to go the extra miles.

Titles are not copyrighted, so your book "Like a Virgin" would be okay. However, if you call your book "Like a Virgin: Loved for the Very First Time" then you'll need permission because it's part of the lyrics.

Writing Again

I've subbed novels with more than one suggested title.

Tentatively titled:

Sleeping in the Noise

Softly Snoring Thunder

Rattling the Bedposts

NicoleJLeBoeuf

Ooh! Now that's a good idea. I was taught to do the same for newspaper articles - suggest at least two or three headlines. Perhaps journalism and novelling aren't so remote as I'd supposed. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.