query question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlight

Here's the background for the question. The sources one romance writer (who has an agent), one non-romance writer who is close to getting an agent and my agent who seems to have vanished ( I wrote and told him it was okay for him to vanish, partly for that and other reasons). This is one of the reasons. Since I'm querying for a new agent it seemed high time to ask this question.

The advice - don't query for one novel without mentioning that you have a second one ready to send as well.

This is the opposite of other information that I have received that said, don't offer an agent more than one novel at a time, don't overwhelm.

The question - which is right? Judging from the query example James gave in the Novel writing course - loved every line of it - it would be one book at a time. Did I get that right?

As always confused so asking.

Stlight.

Jamesaritchie

The advice - don't query for one novel without mentioning that you have a second one ready to send as well.

If you have a second novel ready to send, I suppose you can mention it, but on the whole I don't think this is good advice at all. As an editor or agent, the last thing I want to hear is that a writer has a first novel lying around that they still haven't placed in the times it's taken to get a second one ready.

Stlight

Thanks. One at a time is what I hoped to hear, but hoping to hear is like wanting and we know wanting don't make it so.

This came up when the very nice romance writer was attempting to teach me her art. Her belief was that if I could write one type of book, I could write another and I thought it was reasonable. (Okay, it wasn't reasonable and I couldn't. I'm all right with that.) When I was working on the first one, we were working on the query (everything seems to be done faster in category romance, but like I hinted I know little of it.) She said, "Okay, what's your synopsis for the next book?" I said, "What next book?" Her answer, "If you're going to send in one, you need to include the synopsis of your current work in progress."
Gulp. I don't even know the end until I finish and weird things happen in the middle.
Then I ran across the advice a second time. Trust me, I would much rather finish one novel send it in and, as mentioned here, forget it and get onto the next one. I really didn't want to wait until I'd written two to send in the first one.
(Oh, just to find my place in time and space - my first four novels are currently recycled into newspapers and other paper products, so they didn't completely go to waste.) :p

Stlight

katdad

My opinion is worth only that, but...

Any good writing you've done should be acceptable to an agent. If you've got 2 novels then that makes twice as many opportunities.

So, sure, mention the other book as "available for review" but focus on your principal one. By all means, let the agency know you've finished two novels. Why would that offend?

The agent will probably ask for only one novel but they may ask for both.

In my case (which is specific because I'm writing a series of private detective novels, and therefore they are connected):

I had finished the first 2 novels in the series. My agent asked for both of them.

After some time, the agent carefully reviewed both, and sent one back, telling me that it was simply too short. If I could expand it they would be amenable to re-reading & probably would accept it.

However they DID accept the other book (the longer one) and are now shopping it to publishers.

In the meantime I've just finished revising that other novel and after I've proofed it thoroughly, I'll send it back to them.

But there is no reason at all to avoid mentioning two novels in a query. Just focus on the one you think is better and refer to the other one in "sidebar".

This will not overwhelm an agent. Dumping two thick manuscripts on their doorstep, unrequested, may however do such.

Writing Again

Remember this. Most publishers want you to produce another novel within the next year which they will have first dibs on. If you are as successful as you hope to be; that is a really good selling novel and a future; this will be the last time you will ever write without a deadline and people bugging you for "progress."

So it helps to have an edge. Give yourself some elbow room. Ideally you would be better off having a novel ahead, perhaps even have a completed novel and another on the way as well as the one you are sending, but don't tell them that. Say you have started an second novel and will have it finished well before the year is out.

Series novels, such as detective novels are a bit different as they will only be released every so often. Say once a year or every six months, depending on what you and the publisher decide on and your ability to produce them. But unless times have changed drastically the publisher will want the next ones at fairly regular intervals. If you sell two or three at the same time then you are an interval or two ahead.

Katdad may or may not have deadlines in his contract, but I guarantee you if he has an even moderately successful series and goes very long without something to show his publisher he will receive calls and letters pushing him to get in gear.

So remember it does not hurt to plan for success and the problems you will meet if you are successful. Success is not without a few problems of its own but you can mitigate them with a little preparation.

maestrowork

I wrote a reply but somehow it disappeared?

You should always show that you can write more than just one novel, maybe even prolific. But when you "query" your novel, query only one. Even if they're books in a series, query the first one. Mention that you have another one or two written already. Or tell them you're at work on your next book (which I did). But don't overwhelm them with two synopses. I think the advice of including both synopses can be unsound...

katdad

Katdad may or may not have deadlines in his contract
Well, I don't have a publishing contract yet. My agent is enthusiastic and she said there were a couple of nibbles, but nothing definite thus far.

Regarding a series, I'm a bit ahead of the curve here. As I said earlier, I'm writing a series of modern-day private detective novels. One is now being shopped by my agent, I'll have the 2nd edited and sent to the agent by mid-January.

And due to my quirky nature, I started on two more novels in the series at one time, and now have 30k words finished for each of these books (#3 and #4) and also have a solid outline for them.

Should my first book sell (no -- let me say WHEN my book sells) I'll have #2 ready to send to the publisher, and two more books in the slips. I've also got 6 more books in rough outline form.

I'm therefore ready and able to create a good stream of novels here. Believe me, success will be a big motivator!

Replying to Maestro, yes, just query one book and don't include two synopses (unless you've maybe received an email from the agency asking for them, as I did).

But absolutely mention that you've got a 2nd novel completed, give them a 1 sentence description, and move on. If your writing is good, the agency will soon ask for that other book.

maestrowork

Yup, one agent wasn't too crazy about my first book, but invited me to send her my second once it's done (I admit, the second's premise sounds more interesting).

Calixus

OMG! What'd you say then??
Registered
Reaction score
The Smoky Mountains of Tennessee (go Vols!)
Help with determining Genre of a story...Please!!!!

Um I have a question on determining Genre and can't find a place that answers it (don't mean it isn't there, just can't find it). I have written a series of books that revolve around a mc that is a hybrid of Vamp and Were (of the wolfy persuasion) and in the course of things her rather strange DNA incorporates Demon genes and she can use the powers that Demons have too. Anyway, I started out thinking this would be a Paranormal Romance, but there is Suspense, Mystery, Horror, Crime (she is an undead detective and owns her own agency) and most of the supporting characters are either Vamp or Were. I really do not know how to classify this series and I need to do so inorder to query the correct agents/publishers. I researched an author that writes novels similar to mine, Kim Harrison, and her style is listed as Vampire genre, a sub-genre of Horror. I'm confused and really would like any help anyone can give me. If you wish to read some of the novel or a synopsis, just let me know and I will post it (let me know where please). I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this!

:Headbang:

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
Um I have a question on determining Genre and can't find a place that answers it (don't mean it isn't there, just can't find it). I have written a series of books that revolve around a mc that is a hybrid of Vamp and Were (of the wolfy persuasion) and in the course of things her rather strange DNA incorporates Demon genes and she can use the powers that Demons have too. Anyway, I started out thinking this would be a Paranormal Romance, but there is Suspense, Mystery, Horror, Crime (she is an undead detective and owns her own agency) and most of the supporting characters are either Vamp or Were. I really do not know how to classify this series and I need to do so inorder to query the correct agents/publishers. I researched an author that writes novels similar to mine, Kim Harrison, and her style is listed as Vampire genre, a sub-genre of Horror. I'm confused and really would like any help anyone can give me. If you wish to read some of the novel or a synopsis, just let me know and I will post it (let me know where please). I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this!

:Headbang:

What is the primary thrust of your story? Is it a romance between two...whatevers? Is it the battle between vamps and weres and demons? Is it the solving of a crime? Idenitfy what your story is primarily about and that should give you your genre.

If you have no luck marketing it in that genre, you can always change the story to shift the focus and then try marketing it as a different genre (though some agents may rep both.)

Good luck!

Beth

Calixus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really not sure, but their are two sets of plots. The overt one is completed in the single book, the covert one is completed in the series of four books. Both have to do with plots against the Vamp king and my mc is not only a detective, she is the second in the Vamp heirarchy. It is as this second that the overt plot is unfolded thus the suspense/mystery. But it is also about self-discovery, finding her first (of four) mate, and assuming control of the the reins amoung Vamp kind. Book one concludes by the discovery of the Covert plot and sets the stage for the next book. So I am leaning towards the paranormal mystery/horror genre but there is also a great deal of erotica and it has a strong romance theme too. I am so confused and the more I read around the site, the more confused I become. I am still beginning to lean more towards the Action/Thriller side of the scales though. Thanks for your great suggestions Beth. Any more suggestions?

cwfgal

On the rocks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethamos.com
I'm really not sure, but their are two sets of plots. The overt one is completed in the single book, the covert one is completed in the series of four books. Both have to do with plots against the Vamp king and my mc is not only a detective, she is the second in the Vamp heirarchy. It is as this second that the overt plot is unfolded thus the suspense/mystery. But it is also about self-discovery, finding her first (of four) mate, and assuming control of the the reins amoung Vamp kind. Book one concludes by the discovery of the Covert plot and sets the stage for the next book. So I am leaning towards the paranormal mystery/horror genre but there is also a great deal of erotica and it has a strong romance theme too. I am so confused and the more I read around the site, the more confused I become. I am still beginning to lean more towards the Action/Thriller side of the scales though. Thanks for your great suggestions Beth. Any more suggestions?

Based on your description above, I'd say to try for erotica if that's a large element, or mystery if the mc is functioning primarily in the detective role. Horror is always an option, too.

I know vampire fiction was pretty hot for a while but I'm not sure if it still is. I haven't kept up with the market trends of late.

Beth

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If the main focus of the book is the developing relationship between your heroine and her hero, and if stripping out the romance leaves the plot in tatters, then it's paranormal romance.

If the main focus of the book is something external to that relationship (political intrigue, a murder mystery, whatever), it's paranormal fiction or urban fantasy.

If the main focus of the book is on the hot nookie between your heroine and hero, and by removing all sex leaves you with about fifty pages worth of actual plot, it's erotica.

Those are nutshell answers, of course, but I hope it narrows things down.

Calixus

Registered
Reaction score
If the main focus of the book is the developing relationship between your heroine and her hero, and if stripping out the romance leaves the plot in tatters, then it's paranormal romance.

If the main focus of the book is something external to that relationship (political intrigue, a murder mystery, whatever), it's paranormal fiction or urban fantasy.

If the main focus of the book is on the hot nookie between your heroine and hero, and by removing all sex leaves you with about fifty pages worth of actual plot, it's erotica.

Those are nutshell answers, of course, but I hope it narrows things down.

Thank you Chaos Titan. I think you just answered my question. The plot is all about the move on the king. Guess that puts it in the paranormal fiction/urban fantasy area. Is this still in the Horror Genre?

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Calixus,
If your book was published and available...and I walked into a bookstore to buy it, where do you expect it would be shelved? (Aside from it being in a prominet "Hot-New Release-Bestseller type display in the store window, I mean.
Is it going to be in the horror section?
Plenty of novels have elements of action, thriller, suspense, romance, mystery---but they tend to get termed one (mebbe two) classifications.
Toddle over to a big fat bookstore and decide where yours would be sold. And query it as belonging to the section where it would be shelved and sold.

Calixus

Registered
Reaction score
Calixus,
If your book was published and available...and I walked into a bookstore to buy it, where do you expect it would be shelved? (Aside from it being in a prominet "Hot-New Release-Bestseller type display in the store window, I mean.
Is it going to be in the horror section?
Plenty of novels have elements of action, thriller, suspense, romance, mystery---but they tend to get termed one (mebbe two) classifications.
Toddle over to a big fat bookstore and decide where yours would be sold. And query it as belonging to the section where it would be shelved and sold.

Calixus - Urban fantasy/paranormal tends to be shelved in the Fantasy/SF section of most bookstores.

I will answer both of these together, if you both do not mind. My style is very much like Kim Harrison and she is in the SF/Fantasy areas. So I am guessing that it would be in the Urban fantasy/Paranormal areas of Genre? I really appreciate all the help. Both of you have terrific suggestions and help me in my search for an agent and Publisher. Cudos (and rep points) to both of you!

Thanks!

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
How did this thread from 2004 get resurrected?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
No, stick around! We might even let you start your own thread! I was just wondering why you asked your question in an old thread instead of a new one. Good luck with your book!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
When an individual starts a new thread on a topic that already exists, they are told to do a search first. When an individual does a search and finds a related topic, comments are made about them resurrecting an old thread. That creates a no-win situation.

Calixus did exactly as many people on AW say to do. Then gets dinged for it.

We cannot have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.