Should I get a beta read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

As some of you know, I'm attempting to get my "failed novel" (publisher went under) with another publishing company. I found one that publishes previously-published books and they have asked me to submit my novel to them. But here's the problem: NOBODY has read it. It's a revised version of the old book (with, I hope, better writing). Basically the same story, although I did throw in a few surprises.

I'm thinking I should get it beta read first. Should I? Or just see what the publisher says and go from there?

And, if I should get a beta read, who can I ask? I know a few novelists but I really don't want to bother them as I'm sure they are busy with their own projects. So, who? Also, how much should I ask them to read?

Thanks for any advice. :) Have a great day!

--Dawn

maestrowork

Has your novel been beta read before, and how did that go? Have you rewritten it enough to warrant another read?

It's not a bad idea to get it reviewed again since some time has passed.

As for where to get your betas... oh, I don't know. Try writer's group? Other authors (but they might not want to read "unpublished" ms.)... or a friend who can give you unbiased, honest, non sugar-coated critique (Stephen King's wife is his beta; but she's tough!)

novelator

For what it's worth--

A mix of writers and non-writers, if you can find them, will give you the best of both worlds. Writers tend to focus on the actual writing, while non-writers (avid readers) will give you a general idea of how your story plays to general population.

And from what I understand, while Stephen King's wife is his first beta (with good reason), he also farms his work out to six or eight other betas for their opinion.

Mari

Gala

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I'm thinking I should get it beta read first<hr></blockquote>

Obey your gut.

Beta reading and proofing can't hurt and most likely will help. Give your work the best shot at publication you can.

Tish Davidson

betas

If you're going to respect the opinion of the beta reader and evaluate what the reader says with an open mind and consider making changes, then yes, get one. If you are married to your book the way it is now, then don't bother. You don't have to accept all suggestions from a beta, but if you are going to ask someone to take the time to do a thoughtful critiquew, you do have to be open to the possibility of change.

Greenwolf103

Re: betas

Thanks, all, for your input. :)

Maestro, this has not been read by ANYONE. Well, except for me. ;) This is a new version of my old book. It was suggested to me that if I place it with a new publisher, I should fix it up a little. Actually, I would do that, anyway, since the writing in that book is awful. I am part of some writers groups on Yahoo! but I don't know if I should ask there since I haven't been very active in those groups recently.

Novelator: Thanks for that tip. I can agree on that; as a writer, I act the same way when I read books. "Bad description." "Incomplete sentence." "Why didn't the author TELL me that before??" Etc.

Thanks also to Gala and Tish. What I'm really hoping for is both: Input on if the story is any good (does it hold interest? are the characters acting believable? etc.) and input on the writing (are there too many passive sentences? is there too much or too little dialogue? etc.) I'd really like to get both, if possible. Maybe I *should* try a couple of writers and non-writers, as novelator suggested.

katdad

If I were you I'd give the book to a friend who's aready been established as a trusted reader, and ask for a quick overview.

You've re-written the book and have spent plenty of time on it. Maybe taking the extra time to get another read is worth it.

Also, I'd suggest reading the book to yourself, out loud. Reading aloud allows you to catch awkward phrases and find missing items. This is always a final step I go through, and to good effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.