Hollywood here I come...

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
I just quit my job - I’m moving to Hollywood.

Seriously.

At the end of the month.

I’m scared sh*tless.

That’s pretty much it.

Those of you who know me know that I lost a really good in Seattle over a year ago. I had worked there 8 years, the company got sold and I was laid off when they moved to corporate office to Cleveland. I sold my house in Seattle moved to Phoenix and have been doing temp work, or “contract” as they like to call it for the past 8 months. Now the company that I’m with will be announcing next week that they’re selling the division that I’m contracted with.

So being that all endings must bring new beginnings my wife and I have decided that the best place for us to be, if we are to follow our passion for film, is Hollywood – or LA at least. It’s not a bad move really, I think there are more opportunities for employment there, I’ve had job interviews there an know for a fact that I lost out on one opportunity because I wasn’t local. So at the end of this month we’ll be packing the kids into the minivan and heading west. We’ve got enough cash to survive for 6 weeks or so and if I can’t at least find a job as a janitor at a major studio by then, well its back to Phoenix and living in the in-laws garage.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
That's a great adventure! If nothing else, think of all the fodder you'll get for your writing.

Although living in the in-laws' garage sounds like it has possibilities for plot, too. :D

Good luck!

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Rainy

To Boldly Go
off on your mission.
ALL the best for you guys.
My wife and i will pray that you get a job so you can stay and fullfill your dream. Take no prisoners!!!

Great!
Kev

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Good luck to you and your family, Rainy!! Keep us up to date on what's happening!!!

DanielD

Registered
Reaction score
To Rainynight.
Best of luck to you and your family.
Hoping that, you achieve all that you set out to.
As they say "Nothing risked, nothing gained".
Good luck, and break a leg(I thought I might throw that one in)
Daniel.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
We made us a vow
we swore we’d always remember
No retreat, baby now, no surrender
-- Bruce Springsteen

Well, there's that recent Will Smith movie about the guy who sleeps in restrooms while working on Wall Street until he prevails! And he prevails!So every obstacle makes the future bio-movie about you that much more dramatic!

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed your posts, Rainy. I wish you the sincerest of luck in LA. I know Vegas ain't far from Phoenix, but if you want to drop by and have a sleep over, I'll burn some steaks for you and your family.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Writers do make it there, and you've got a really good level head on your shoulders.

I'm rooting for you all the way. Watch out for Seanie. He'll be waiting for you with a load of work, no doubt.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Placed in a similar position I believe that I, too, would be filling my underwear with poop.

But it seems as if the Fates have conspired to give you an opportunity -- and since that's the case it seems pointless not to run with it and see what happens.

Worst case scenario, you have a 6-week vacation in L.A. And you might get some burned steaks out of it, too.

Good luck! Fingers and toes crossed, may the Force be with you, etc.

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Go west, young man."

:)

Seriously, good luck to you and keep us "back easterners" informed of the happenings in Hollywood.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! I so believe in taking big chances and big changes. We regret the things we don't do in life far more than the things that we do. Life is a risk, might as well make it a fun ride!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wish it were me, long ago. Good luck to you and yours.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I would never have the intestinal fortitude to go through with it :) You must continue to do what makes you who you want to be; sounds like this move is the right thing at the right time for your dreams.

Good luck and happy minivan travelling; Phoenix to LA isn't too bad a drive.

Ragnarok

Loki made me do it
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds exciting, RN. It's nice you have a place to fall back at just in case. Good luck!

Vigilant

I wish you all the best! Things happen for a reason and maybe something good will come out of it! :)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Break a leg, Rainy.

Wherever you land, don't let it be Hollywood proper. Lots of the LA 'burbs are pretty nice. I spent a year in Redondo Beach. Stay off the 110 if you can help it!

zagoraz

Registered
Reaction score
Rainy,

Glad to have some Absolute Write company out here in crazy town! If you haven't found a place yet, rent is cheaper in the valley (check out Sherman Oaks, Encino, or Woodland Hills but be wary of going too far into Reseda, Northridge or Van Nuys)... OK towns but hit or miss as far as neighborhoods.

Send me a PM when you get into town. I'd be glad to buy you a beer and tell you all about my first two years out here from Texas.

Best of luck!

seanie blue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badtv.com
Rainy's coming at the exact right time.

Passed apartment complexes on Franklin Avenue between Vermont and Wilton, and saw two huge banners. Romero is over at my place today and says he thinks Rainy can get a place with two bedrooms for $1500 a month, since he's been hearing $1400-$1700. In the past three weeks, Romero has been a runner on a TV show, a stand-in for the week-before prep of a TV show, and been over at a production company near the Getty Center logging vid. He's making $20 to $25 an hour, and he's not really trying. The real estate is so scary right now that apartment buildings might start offering the sort of incentives you always see on the east coast: first or last month free. The house down the street from me selling for $1.1 million is down to $900K and still nobody shows. The paradise I'm in went for rent for $2800, and is now down to $2700 a month, and seven people came today to see the place and not one bite. So the timing is good; work, and dented rent.

I totally 100% disagree about the LA burbs. From Glendale to Irvine, not sure what the point is of trying to do a mailroom break-in unless you're part of the proletariat effort on the street. Get in the gritty parts, East Hollywood. Every neighbor is a struggling musician (or a bad musician), or a grip, or a frustrated PA with 17 unfinished scripts. Mr. Night can find his way among these people and rise as quick cream. And his wife is also a writer on the make! So he's got support and attitude at his elbow. I'd advise a drop into the tacky side of tinseltown and ignore the yuppie impulse to nest in Silverlake or Los Feliz. Can he handle K-town? Can his family handle K-town? My pal Jyl just put in her app at the Gaylord, where the studios start at $850 and a two BR might be $1700; but renovated to catch the yuppies falling back down the rent ladder, adorned with faux marble and actual wood.

The worst thing about Los Angeles is the stultifying ugliness of the place, save the palms and blooms. There is no architecture; the tiny 15-shop strip malls are a blight everywhere; as Robert Crumb points out, the wires stringing every block and pole together in a web of linear pollution; dilapidated molding and uncaulked windows in crumbling facades; a skyline nobody recognizes; the ugliness is appalling. But opportunity hides all like lava flowing from Heaven. He'll meet people, suffer with them in neighborhoods easterners would call back-alleys. Rainy will have an instant identity as a shark, roving, seeking a break, and there are gigs galore here, whether you talk or write. And my point about the ugliness is that it is ugly in Studio City or Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks or Glendale (especially Glendale), so why not be where the desperation is keenest and most dense? That's Hollywood. Not West Hollywood. Not West LA. Jyl live sin apartment 201 in a castle building on Wilton; Raymond Chandler lived for a decade next door. Her whole building is a writer's block; chairs and coolers on the roof where the denizens gather to get stoned or emote over scene 35 or talk the producer talk of the $50-million idea they had in the shower. And if somebody's got something, they share up on her roof; a single contact is everyone's contact. You can make a movie for $100, as Jyl did, and get it shown at a comedy club, as Jyl did, and get a quote of support from the creator of one of the biggets names in kids' TV, as Jyl did, all on the strength of networking your rooftop.

That doesn't happen in the burbs of LA. Seems to me people driving in from Pasadena or Burbank or living near Santa Monica or 8 blocks off the beach in Venice are a little better off, 9-to-5 lives, at that quasi-exec level of $58K per year looking after a single project for eight months until NBC or the 23-employee prodco declare the project dead. If he chooses it after a year here, that steady route to a nice plateau in Hollywood is possible, with a seven-year dedicated effort. But I would start in the seediest part, where the blood pumps thickest in the heart of tinsel dreams.

I didn't write this for Rainy's benefit, since I am being recalled to Manhattan as I write. I've done my 40 months. Got a ton of material, a ton of contacts, lots of choices, and Senegal waits in September, Belize or Holbox and the whale sharks in August, LA in October, Glacier National Park in November, all of it paid for by walking around Lalaland with my ears open and eyes alert to dreamers. I'm writing it for any writer who is just about off the fence except for the butt, leaning in this direction; fall off and come out, work like a dog, and have a life nobody can imagine back home.

I would write about my last three days here, shooting a Lolita who is being followed by a director named Toback, convinced hers is a genius sort of life despite its apparent depravity, making arrangements to make an impossibly artistic doc about a single song by a dynamic Nashville star who tonight, right now, is auditioning to play Cash on Broadway, and then today treated by four Iranian-American businessmen to lamb and eggplant lunch and a $50 spree in a Persian bakery as a reward for my bursting bubble by bubble their plans for a $100-million movie and inflating instead a tiny $75K "Big Chill" knock-off in Las Vegas next spring, shot in Farsi, of which I am being given absolute, complete, total free license to write and frame as I please. That's Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Also all of it impossible without coming out here. But I won't write about all that in more detail because these three days are no different than any other three days out here.

Congratulations, Rainy, for picking the perfect, best, appropriate, bull's-eye moment to crash here: Now.

(And I will anticipate moans of disapproval from readers who think I am another Billy lying his way to delusions of self-grandeur. [I readily admit to that anyway.] Perhaps I have a verbose and shady charm which propels me personally, and that my sort of good chance will not befall just any one and I should not make it sound so easy and blase, except that I see everyone in more or less my position, initially: the blossom blows away when the writing is not done, or when the writer follows either cliche or fortune, but the opportunities are quantifiable and constant in a way Arizona cannot imagine. And the writer who writes, who actually scribbles, and who speaks with conviction [important] and confidence [absolutely critical] about his dreams is quickly lauded and noticed and promoted here in a way that would stun the associate editor of the Greater Phoenix Medical Group monthly newsletter. If you have the stuff and can strut, my god, it's a joke. That peacock in poetry is the golden goose nobody dares to kill in Lalaland. So it's up to each writer to staple his originality into the marketplace, and Rainy will be right here, in the market, perhaps without booth or buying power, but in the smells and trading of entertainment; every stroll builds confidence, if the writer is willing to write, willing to declare and defend, willing to create. If it's all theory, an elaborate disguise of self to balance the uncontrollable desire for safety, well, that can be done in Oshkosh or Orlando, no problem, or on five-day vacation breaks from the International Fertilizer Review, and there would be no need to court a sudden plunge in comfort by moving to Los Angeles. But Rainy writes, and the writer has just made the perfect move; he destroys complacent structure to obey an impulse of self-expression. How can a writer deny himself this necessity? Whatever his accomplishments previously, he is now followed every step by a shadow of himself demanding action and wit to survive and thrive. Can he remember every day of the first week of last February? He will always remember every day of the next few weeks as he steps off the plank into self-respect. Fire or failure?)

Last edited:

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Wow, Rainy. I will be the third poster to say "I'll pray for you."

Be careful, man. Be seriously careful.

Watch every frigging penny.

Hang on to that wonderful I-believe-in-you-honey wife of yours.

Be positive and smile a lot--Hollywood only responds to positive people and they shun downer-mongerers.

And here's a partial transcript from a recent interview with a guy who moved from Phoenix to Los Angeles and made it in Hollywood as a literary manager with his own shingle:

A: I started my own management company a few years ago. I realized that my heart and soul wasn’t really as an executive.

Q: --Meaning you HAD a heart.

A: Exactly! It’s a rare thing in this town. Yeah!

Q: Well THAT disqualifies you from being an executive.

A: Yeah! I decided that being an executive wasn’t my thing. It was difficult to become invested in writers I was working with, and their projects, only to learn that –for whatever reasons outside of my control—the projects would fall apart, they’d fall off the studio radar. What I got excited about was working with (especially) the younger writers and helping them launch their careers.

Q: I’m dying to get to that, but let’s see if we can go sort of in chronological order with each of those steps. First of all: how’d you get started out? Are there jobs that don’t appear in this bio that I just read that are even more menial and horrible?

A: Absolutely! I graduated college in ’94. I went to Dartmouth. I was a history major, which was basically on track for being a business major. I was going to get my MBA or law degree or whatever. But I decided that I wanted to work in media. So when I was in school I interned at ESPN in New York. I was thinking I was to do something with television, maybe advertising. It exposed me to New York, the communications capital of the world. And one of my old bosses started his own PR firm in Phoenix, Arizona. So after I graduated college, I drove cross-country to Phoenix. I knew I was going to end up in LA because I really love the movie business. I wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to do in it. But when you’re right out of school, you owe your college a lot of money, and a money job is a good thing. So I did PR consulting for two years. And then I finally realized: “I need to make my move NOW to LA.” So my first job out here, I was a temp --and I don’t mean to offend anybody but – I was a temp at “Hustler Magazine.” I went through one of the temp agencies and --

Q: -- I think I’ve seen your photo somewhere.

A: I was actually there for only about three months. I was the assistant to the editor. So –believe it or not—I actually helped edit –not necessarily the captions but-- some of the articles in there (if you want to call them articles). I was there for a couple months and I was there long enough to make sure I was going to get my name in one of the issues (I was an assistant). That was sort of my goal. That was my temp job. It paid the bills.

Q: Gotcha. We’ve all had those. You said that “it was time to make the move.” So it occurs to me that you had wanted to come out to LA for some time. And always wanted to make movies? You thought maybe you’d do something in television?

A: In college, I worked at my radio station, and that was my initial exposure to media. I worked as a program director and as music director. And for a brief, brief, brief time I even considered working in the music business. But one day when I was interning in New York in college, I took a lunch break and went to this big music management firm, Doc McGee, who represented at the time Def Leppard, Kiss -- all these heavy metal bands. And I just sort of walked in one day and just introduced myself and said I was a college kid, thinking about a career in music management. And basically within a half hour I was talked out of it because it’s a very shady – Hollywood isn’t eventually the most noblest enterprise out there, but the music business is much worse.

Q: --Right! You’ll work at “Hustler,” but a guy’s gotta draw the line somewhere.

A: Yeah! Exactly! I have standards! Anyway, I’d always been leaning towards media. First radio then TV. I think, most people who don’t go the corporate track in media end up in Los Angeles, because it’s obviously the more of the creative setting for movies and television with all the production companies where really creative decision are made. New York is more (obviously) the corporate side. And when I was exposed to New York in college I realized that’s NOT the place I wanted to be if I was going to pursue the film/TV angle .

Q: But you had always wanted to do that?

A: Yeah. I mean I wasn’t a filmmaker at age 9. I didn’t direct anything when I was 5 years old. And I hadn’t been writing scripts either. I like working with talent. I’d coached tennis and I’d done a lot of coaching when I was younger. So I like interacting and teaching. So I knew that was sort of an asset that I had. You’re trying to discover yourself.

Q: That’s a great background for that kind of thing. I’d never heard anyone who made that analogy. But it really is, if you’re in development with a script: it’s like coaching.

A: Absolutely. It’s working with the talent. Whether you’re coaching one of the tennis players playing at Wimbledon or coaching Tiger Woods. Whatever stage an athlete is at, or a writer is at, they need their coaching. It wasn’t until I was out here for a while – ‘til I started my own company-- that I realized being a literary manager, working with writers, coaching writers, was my calling.

Q: Literary managers do that much more these days than agents. It used to be that an agent would actually help you develop your screenplay. At least at the smaller agencies.

A: Yeah, exactly. In this day and age --even the ten years I’ve been out here-- the business has really consolidated to such a degree that it’s navigating all the channels and knowing really who are the meaningful producers and executives. That’s half of the job I have. And with agencies, agents represent two to three times as many clients as managers do. So they don’t have the time really to do the creative. There are certainly agents that do spend a lot of their energies doing creative stuff. But agencies are in the volume business. But I’m not in the volume business. I have a very select number of writers I work with.

Q: Terrific. (I got you off course there.) How do you get from “Hustler Magazine” to Three Arts Entertainment?

A: Well, once I was out here and I was temping. (I found a place to live and I was actually able to pay for it.) And then once you’re out here, all you do is you just start looking through all the classifieds. And you start meeting people. You go to gatherings. This town is two degrees -- three degrees-- of separation. You can go to any watering hole out here, any bar, whatever, and there’s always someone who’s “in the business” so to speak. What I did was I would look through “Hollywood Reporter” and “Variety” and applied to any jobs I found that interested me. I applied to A TON of them—A TON! It took a few months until I was offered my very very first job. Actually I was a receptionist at a really small management company. It was a really small one. They represented Helen Hunt and Craig T. Nelson at the time. That was very brief --I was there for only a couple of months. That was my first job IN the business. And then, once you’re IN, then you can apply to others. You have access to more people, and more information, and you know what’s out there.

Q: So, you started out --and it seems like management is a theme in your life. You worked at two management companies before starting up your own.

A: Exactly.

Q: And that’s just the present count.

A: It’s like we’re all on our own little hero’s journey. And you [can only] deny your calling for so long, and I finally realized that’s what I wanted to do. But you’ve got to try—you’ve got to dip your toes in other waters too before you really can appreciate it and understand it that much more. Because you’ve got to understand yourself and your strengths.

Q: Compare and contrast a little bit your foray into the executive world to the one you’re in now and the one you were in before, of management.

A: The executive ranks are a cog in a wheel to a bigger operation. So you’re servicing your boss who’s servicing another boss who’s servicing another boss. So it’s really just about keeping the wheels turning and you have to do what your boss wants you to do, because they’re being told what their boss wants them to do. Being on my own as a manager, it’s all about self-empowerment. I know who I want to work with. If there’s a writer I want to sign or go after, I can do that on my own and I don’t have to check in with anybody or ask anybody. I can choose which agents I want to work with, which agencies and lawyers I want to deliver clients to. It’s about self-empowerment. To me, that makes it so much easier getting up every morning, knowing I don’t have to work for “the machine.”

Q: Because you ARE “the machine!”

A: Yeah! I need to get a tee-shirt like that! “I’m becoming the boss!”

Q: Can you describe your development process? How you would work with a writer?

A: With the clients that I have, how it works is … I have clients who have projects such as writing assignments or pitches set up. Those projects are at various stages of the development process at studios, and at production companies. As the manager, I am the closest ally to my client. So it’s all about being a packaged team. And that’s really how a writer –or even an actor or a director, when they have representatives -- how they should think. It’s a package and it’s about making sure that all the producers and the executives that you work with are always presented with the script or the pitch that is at its best possible stage. So as a manager-- again-- it’s that coaching analogy. It’s like working on the backhand over and over. I’ll read drafts of my client’s scripts. If it’s the first draft of a studio assignment, I’ll read it and I’ll give my client notes. Sometimes we’ll do two or three drafts before it’s ready to give to the studio. So, again it’s about coaching the client, and just kind of working on their strengths, or working on their weakness. And that’s what the development process is. It’s constant development.

Read the article in its entirety at http://hollywoodbyphone.com/

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Rainy's coming at the exact right time.

Passed apartment complexes on Franklin Avenue between Vermont and Wilton, and saw two huge banners. Romero is over at my place today and says he thinks Rainy can get a place with two bedrooms for $1500 a month, since he's been hearing $1400-$1700. In the past three weeks, Romero has been a runner on a TV show, a stand-in for the week-before prep of a TV show, and been over at a production company near the Getty Center logging vid. He's making $20 to $25 an hour, and he's not really trying. The real estate is so scary right now that apartment buildings might start offering the sort of incentives you always see on the east coast: first or last month free. The house down the street from me selling for $1.1 million is down to $900K and still nobody shows. The paradise I'm in went for rent for $2800, and is now down to $2700 a month, and seven people came today to see the place and not one bite. So the timing is good; work, and dented rent.

Dang, and here I was complaining about the cost of my two bedroom apartment at a whopping 333 dollars a month, water included.

Good luck Rainy. I'm so glad your wife is supporting you, because that would make it all that harder otherwise.

I will cross my fingers for you and hope and pray that you find a job quickly and doors begin to open for you.

Sara

Rainy Night

INFJ
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rainynightproductions.com
Thanks everyone for the encouragement for myself and my family. My wife is a wonderful person and this is as much if not more her dream then mine. She's looking for houses in the burb's, but I've been pressing for heart of Hollywood. I want to be there where everything is happening, like Sean says, where the heart is beating, because that's where inspiration lives and there is no point in going halfway, if I'm going to be in the burbs I might as well be in Phoenix.

My fears are not so much for myself, but for my children (7 & 9), who while they are supportive in everyway don't quite understand the realities of the world yet. They do however, understand the dream that you have to follow the things that make your life full and I think that it's important for them to see that it's okay to take a calculated risk to make things happen in your life. When Mommy and Daddy are writing my daughter will be on her computer writing also or my son will be choreographing action scenes for his next adventure.

I have the best family in the world and I must do everything I can to succeed for them and myself.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Rainy, your littl'uns have a Dad who's bravely following his dream instead of coming home from work and snoozing in front of the telly, so I'd say they're off to a good start.

I also see a book in about twenty years' time, by one of said kids, possibly entitled, 'Get In The Car, Kids, We're Going to Hollywood!', or maybe, 'Phoenix, my Arse'.

Have a blast.