Bold in manuscript

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohour21

Okay, how do you make stuff appear as bold text in a manuscript. I know that you are supposed to underline stuff to make it appear in italics, but what if you want to make something bold. I know you're not as likely to do this as you would be to make something in italics, but its still something that you might every once in a while have a reason to do, so might be good to know. I have looked into proper manuscript format on the net and have found a few useful sites but nothing said anything about wanting to make something bold, so was wondering if anyone knew for sure how that was done, as there was a bit of a disagreement about how to do it in another thread somewhere around here.

Jamesaritchie

Bold

The proper way to do it, as with all formatting, is to use the proper proofreaders' mark. In this case, it's a wavy underline. It's what edtors, copyeditors, and proofreaders are trained to look for and use. It's what you'll find when they send you a copyedited manuscript, and what they expect you to use when you return that manuscripts.

All special formatting in any manuscript should be done using proofreader marks. You can insert any of the with most word processors. The straight underline to signify italics is a proofreaders' Mark.

I can't tell you how to do this with every word processor, but with Word just highlight the word or phrase you want in boldface, then click format/font. There's a box that says "Underline Style." Scroll down this box until you find the wavy underline and click on it. It's pretty simple and fast.

DanALewis

Re: Bold

If you have trained yourself to work with bold and italic in a word processor, it might be simpler to write your MS using bold and italic formatting first. Then, use some kind of Find/Replace tool to search for "bold" text and replace with "not bold - wavy underline" text (similarly replace "italic" with "not italic - straight underline") throughout your document. Last, double-check your MS to make sure your lines are in the right places.

James D Macdonald

In WordPerfect, up in the Property Bar, find the underlined U character. That's for underline. There's a small arrow to its right -- that brings up a drop-down menu where you can choose your underline style. Single underline for italics, double underline for small caps, wavy underline for boldface.

While you're at it, ask yourself why you're planning to use boldface. Is it really necessary?

zerohour21

Generally if I want to do excerpts of newspaper articles as I have done in a couple of my stories, then I would have the headline be bold.

And I use Microsoft Word to write stuff and not word perfect. Just upgraded to Word 2003 last week, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.