italics for thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clearrr

What do people think of using italics to show a person's thoughts?

Thanks,

Clear

Greenwolf103

I don't really get bugged by it but I don't think it's too common, these days. I'm sure people use them but I just haven't seen them too often.

But I *do* get bugged by it if it takes up the whole page!

I guess it depends on the POV you are writing in.

TerriLynn

I use them all the time in my writing and I don't mind reading them in others. It's a great way to get into the character's head without author intrusion or exposition.

however...that's just my opinion. not that anyone ever listens to me
;)

SRHowen

info

Just so you know, when submitting a ms, what you want in italics, is not put in italics, you underline it.

Shawn

TerriLynn

Re: info

Yep, that's the rule.
However...I never follow them :evil mwah ha ha
and haven't had a complaint yet.

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: info

I don't always like seeing thoughts in italics. Sometimes it's boring reading italics for so long,a nd it hurts your eyes. But it really just depends on you, I think. Probably italics, quote marks, or neither, are all correct.

Tish Davidson

quote marks

I've always thought that quotation marks were reserved for spoken words. I think you can use italics or nothing for thoughts depending on how obvious it is that the character is thinking. Generally, it is a good idea to stay away from long passages of internal thoughts anyway.

Tish Davidson

Rules

Yep, that's the rule.
However...I never follow them mwah ha ha
and haven't had a complaint yet.

That's really stupid. Why would you knowingly violate a rule that might annoy an editor and make you look like an amateur?

maestrowork

Re: Rules

If you have a lot of internal thoughts, don't use italics. It's irritating to read. If it's just a random thought within the narrative, then it's okay.

veingloree

I think it is generally unecessary. The fact that the line is a thought is generally apparent. I think italics only really help when there is some kind of telepathic thought dialogue going on and the thoughts are be treated like speech.

James D Macdonald

As long as you pick a style and stay consistent (and the readers can tell what you're doing), it doesn't matter much how you indicate thoughts.

TerriLynn

That's really stupid. Why would you knowingly violate a rule that might annoy an editor and make you look like an amateur?

Ouch...and that was really rude. Like I said, I haven't had complaints from either agent or editor. When done correctly it isn't going to annoy anyone except for someone who doesn't know how to enjoy a good story.

The rules of writing are not carved in stone and are very bendable and occasionally some break. When you've learned to break them without looking like an amateur, then you're on your way.

James D Macdonald

Underlines for italics are for the benefit of the typesetter.

Jamesaritchie

Rules

Some rules are there for sound reasons, and while your editor might not complain, underlining isn't there for the editor, and you can screw someone's day up royally by using italics just because you don't want to follow the rules. It's pretty childish.

If you don't underline, someone is just going to have to do it for you, and their thoughts concerning you will not be kind ones.

As an editor, I never complained about writers who didn't follow format either. I just didn't buy their work.

maestrowork

I agree. Terri, follow the rules now if you want to get published. You can bend them all you want once you're successful.

You may not have any complaints yet... then again, you're not published yet either.

(And like others said, these ms formatting is for the typesetter. Be considerate.)

Cheers!

TerriLynn

I don't worry about the italics when I submit a manuscriipt because I'm not stupid enough to think it will be published as is. When the final draft is written with the requested revisions then it will be formatted as per the rules

ChunkyC

When the final draft is written with the requested revisions then it will be formatted as per the rules
If you ever get that far, which is less likely if you don't follow the rules NOW. Terri -- it's just as easy to hit the 'U' for underline as it is to hit the 'I' for italics. If you know that the person receiving your submission prefers underlining, why in heaven's name would you use italics? That makes no sense. The fact that publishers want manuscripts submitted with underlining to indicate italics is widely known. Anyone who does not do so will be seen as an amateur, period.

Why take the chance you'll annoy them when to give them what they want is so simple? I'd much rather play russian roulette with as few bullets in the gun as possible.

James D Macdonald

Re: re:rules

If your book is sufficiently brilliant you could write it with your finger on brown paper bags using warm spit.

If your book is less brilliant, sticking with standard manuscript format is a better bet.

I've had the privilege of seeing raw submission manuscripts by some of the very top best selling authors.

With one or two Notably Irascible Exceptions they all used absolutely standard format: Courier type, one-inch margins, double space, black ink on white 8x10 paper, running header, underline for italics, double underline for boldface.

SRHowen

OK

I switched genres to romance and currently have my first book with an editor at a major house and an agent at another major house.

An agent that works at a publisher? Major agency, maybe?

Trouble is, they may be considering your novel, (was it sent to them by request?) but when it comes down to -- we have these two great novels, which one? Toss a coin? Rock, paper, scissors? More like--this one is formatted correctly, and this one isn't. Take the one that is. And no that's not silly--that's the way it is.

Shawn

TerriLynn

re:OK

quoting my bio now? :rolleyes

Yes...Requested fulls! An agent at an agency, an editor at a publishing house. And you care, because?

For the record, and before anymore comments are made....my post...the one with the D evil face was tongue in cheek...I really don't laugh like that. It's more of a Scooby-Doo type of giggle.

I know how to format a manuscript and I know what rules can be overlooked (to a point)

:rolleyes
and I thought WN was bad.

Tish Davidson

Re: re:OK

You're trying to hook an agent for a book your simultaneously sending to a publisher? Or are these two different books?

maestrowork

Re: Cool!

Hey, if it works for you.

But don't go around telling people that it's "okay." There are rules and formats for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.