David Sedaris

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
So. I finally found my humorist of choice. After many a false start with Erma Bombeck and Dave Barry and a couple of other knowns, I'm pleased to have found David Sedaris.

I've finished two of his books so far, zipping right through the third one. Anyone else here a fan?

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
He's hysterical. I love "Me Talk Pretty One Day," the book and especially that particular story about learning French.

It's even funnier if you hear him read it, most of his books are on tape.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
It's even funnier if you hear him read it, most of his books are on tape.

His books are the funniest around, but I was shocked at his voice--too high. And even more shocked by David in person. He had so little confidence in his own material that he spent a good deal of time telling stories from other people's books.

Last edited:

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big fan of his work. And we've been discussing it *ahem* a bit in "Life Story Writing," as well. I've never read someone who has made me laugh so hard out loud!

My sister-in-law has met him in person, at a book signing, and they spoke a few minutes. He was characteristically put off by her job as a massage therapist; she was charmed by him.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Yes, I have been caught laughing hysterically in public places, while reading David Sedaris books.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
His books are the funniest around, but I was shocked at his voice--too high. And even more shocked by David in person. He had so little confidence in his own material that he spent a good deal of time telling stories from other people's books.

I actually think his voice adds to the stories. They're absurd and more than a bit self-deprecating, obviously, and for me his almost tinny voice adds to the absurdity.

My wife and I bought Me Talk Pretty One Day for our move to New York one summer, and I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of a funnier scene than the one when he is at a party and he goes to the john only to find a huge turd that will not flush and a line of people waiting their turn. He is a very funny man!

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I love him, but it dawns on me that I've never actually READ any of his stories. I've only HEARD them on NPR, "This American Life."

I'm not as enthusiastic about his animal-metaphor stories as his memoir-style stories. Anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me being weird?

JD

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
David Sedaris - When You are Engulfed in Flames

I just got the new book today. Read the first story... OH MY GOD. I'm in heaven. I love this man. He needs to publish more often!

He's in Toronto on July 10-11... when I am out of town. Damn him!

Anybody else reading this book?

Don't tell me anything about it... I just started.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished it. It was great--I adore him. I still prefer Me Talk Pretty One Day, but this is a very good Sedaris fix.

I bought it the first day it was out and must have had four different people on the street ask me about it. It must be selling well (at least in New York).

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I kept meaning to pick it up but didn't get around to it until today. My wife is currently reading Me Talk Pretty One Day... she read about a page of the new one and then asked if I had any of his other books that she could read! DER! I have ALL of them. She's in the other room laughing her ass off.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Reading him is a treat. I've heard/seen him read his stories too. If you can get the audio books I recommend them. Having heard him deliver in his voice and cadence make all the difference.
C