James Lee Burke

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read James Lee Burke's latest novel, The Tin Roof Blowdown? It is a really fine book. Burke gets better and better as a thoughtful, polished writer. I think this is a must read for those interested in the Detective genre.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Saw in the Times yesterday where folks were saying it was the finest post-Katrina novel, and possibly Burke's best yet. (I didn't realize he was 70 years old.)

I've never read a Burke novel. For some reason they've never really grabbed my attention. I began In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead and put it down 40 or 50 pages in. They're so rooted in New Orleans culture that I've always considered them travelogues as much as detective stories -- but I'm just going by the jackets and the way they're marketed when I say that. (The Tin Roof Blowdown has a particularly odd dust jacket, I think.) I'm going to have to give this one a try, though. Too much positive buzz.

(Also saw where Joyce Carol Oates's new collection of mystery and suspense stories was getting rave reviews. Oates publishes a new book every week. It's unbelievable.)

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
Saw in the Times yesterday where folks were saying it was the finest post-Katrina novel, and possibly Burke's best yet. (I didn't realize he was 70 years old.)

I've never read a Burke novel. For some reason they've never really grabbed my attention. I began In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead and put it down 40 or 50 pages in. They're so rooted in New Orleans culture that I've always considered them travelogues as much as detective stories -- but I'm just going by the jackets and the way they're marketed when I say that. (The Tin Roof Blowdown has a particularly odd dust jacket, I think.) I'm going to have to give this one a try, though. Too much positive buzz.

(Also saw where Joyce Carol Oates's new collection of mystery and suspense stories was getting rave reviews. Oates publishes a new book every week. It's unbelievable.)

Oates is the most prolific writer for the quality of work she puts out of anyone who has put pen to paper, I think. It is unbelievable. I met her once at a church where a historical society was trying to preserve the church, and she read from We Were The Mulvaneys. I asked her about Jinx Fairchild--Because She Was Bitter, And Because She Was My Heart--and she was delighted. A very nice woman!

Anyway, Burke is a fine writer. I think he was nominated for a National Book Award for his collection of s.s.