The Never Ending Story

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
(by Michael Ende) <----Ironic, no?;)

Has anyone ever read it? I've just finished The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with my kids (they loved it), and I've heard The Never Ending Story is similar, and just as good. It's one I've never heard of 'round these parts... just wondering if anyone recommends it.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Loved the movie as a kid, but I've never read the book.

It was one of those Jim Henson-esque puppet flicks. You don't see puppets anymore. Digital effects killed them dead. There's something organic, something almost...hippieish about puppets. I miss 'em.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
I do agree with the puppet statement and wanted to say that yes I have read the book.

It's great.

The movie is a favorite of mine from my childhood. I read the book as a teenager and it was great. I had seen the movie like a million times and still cried during the book. It's better than The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
The movie is a favorite of mine from my childhood. I read the book as a teenager and it was great. I had seen the movie like a million times and still cried during the book. It's better than The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Ooh, glad to know this is one where the movie is just as good as the book.:Thumbs: My kids and I have enjoyed the anticipation of seeing the movie (a la Harry Potter and Narnia) after we've read the story--using our own imaginations, of course. But typically the feedback afterwards is, "That was good, but the book was better."

Music to my writing ears:D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The book is very good. It gets a trifle long in places, but all in all, it's a good tale.

Wraith

The demon in your inkwell.
Registered
Reaction score
That book is one of my all-time faves! It's not just a fantasy with the charm of a fairy-tale, it's also a smart take on imagination and childhood and people in general. It's amazing, really. Ende seems to know just where childhood and adulthood meet, and also what adults usually forget, so his books are jewels of wisdom for everyone. And really beautiful, too.

I didn't like the movie so much, though. It scared me when I was little. And when I grew up a bit, I thought the main boy's acting was too funny. He was screaming a lot as I recall.:Shrug:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
The book is good, but it really does feel never-ending in some places. The movie cut the length by quite a lot, if I am remembering correctly. After the "end" of the movie, the book goes on and on. Still, it's a good read.

The_Grand_Duchess

I record everything.
Registered
Reaction score
Bangkok, the Underground and the Holy ground.
The book is good, but it really does feel never-ending in some places. The movie cut the length by quite a lot, if I am remembering correctly. After the "end" of the movie, the book goes on and on. Still, it's a good read.

Regarding that. The book actually covers the first and the second movies. Not the third movie though becuase that one sucked.