• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] L & L Dreamspell

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
Wow, this is a surprise to me. I've been in a couple of anthologies, with both large and small publishers, but the editor had already sold the anthology to the publisher before sending out a call for submissions. I don't think I would like to take the chance of the editor accepting my story, only to have the whole anthology then turned down by the publisher.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I've not had to provide a story for anything like that with no deal in place. I don't think it's uncommon for an editor to ask a few writers if they'd be interested in contributing, then pitch the project. But then, I've never edited an anthology. Just written stories and collected checks. ;-)

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
Yes, I can see an editor selling the proposal that way if they had a commitment or even an expression of interest from some established writers whose names they would present to the publisher. That doesn't seem to be the case here, though.

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
L&L Dreamspell is in my neck of the woods, so I'm seriously looking into publishing with them. I love to hear some of the same input that Mia is asking about.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
My short mystery is part of "Dreamspell Mystery Anthology Volume 2."

When the story was first contracted, there was no advance. But because they are now offering $10.00 advances for their anthologies, I just received a retroactive check. So that was nice.

That being said, the anthology is barely selling, and I might not even earn the $10.00.

The owners are very nice, however.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, she was into my full request during the time this happened. Sad. Just to let you know about their current status:

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of our inability to contract any new releases at this time. We have been maintaining a holding pattern for many months now as one of the L’s in L&L Dreamspell fights breast cancer. We thought Linda had beaten the cancer and we were ready to go full speed ahead with new releases, but unfortunately, the cancer has returned and she is once again going through chemotherapy. I regret that I’ve kept you waiting for so long already and had fully intended to sign on several new authors the first of this new year. It is just not going to happen now and I don’t want to keep you waiting any longer. I apologize for the length of time that has already passed. I HOPE we will be able to pick up where we left off toward the end of this summer. If you have not sold your novel by then, and you are still interested in submitting to L&L Dreamspell, please do drop me a line and let me know. Again, we are terribly sorry to have kept you waiting for so long. Best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Lisa Smith
Publisher
www.lldreamspell.com

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry and sad to report that Linda passed away earlier this month. And the company is closing down.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. But if you click through to try to buy a book (at least, the anthology in which my story appears; I didn't try any others), you get a message saying it's not available. The website should really be taken down.