Ian Rankin's "Inspector Rebus" novels

Reaction score
This morning I found a three-for-£10 offer in a bookshop so picked up the first three Rebus novels by Ian Rankin:
  1. Knots & Crosses
  2. Hide & Seek
  3. Tooth & Nail (previously published as Wolfman)
So I wondered if there were any other Rebus fans on AW? I've read the first two or three books but that was a few years ago and to refresh my memory I've decided to start again right from the very beginning and read them all in sequence. There must be about twenty by now.

I love the fact they're set in a city I know and love - Edinburgh - with easily recognisable landmarks, pubs, clubs, tourist attractions and so on. I even get a thrill when Rankin mentions a street name and think, "Ooh! I've been there!"

I also love watching the TV series and think Ken Stott :)LilLove:) makes a superior Rebus to John Hannah's, but as Ian Rankin has said, Rebus ages in real time, so even though readers have it in their head that he's in his 50s, when the books started out he was in his 30s - and so a younger actor would be needed for the first few stories.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cath got me hooked on him - but so far I've only had time to read Dead Souls and I find I do like him. Though I only know the John Hannah version of the televised stuff :)

Reaction score
Ken Stott's an older man and a bit beaten up and battered but I've got a thing for him and I don't know why! ;)

Start at the beginning; I always recommend that with series. No plot spoilers that way. The earlier books are shorter so they'll be a quick read.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my B&N was sorely lacking in Ian's books at the time, so I grabbed Dead Souls[i/] not knowing where it lay in the series - but I'm enjoying his writing nonetheless. And the Rebus character has a certain ring that I like. Rankin has a nice, easy style that I enjoy.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I loved them. Read about six or seven before the crush burned out. Series are very hard to keep going. I love the Edinburgh settings. Perfect city for murder, mayhem, and mystery. I've seen a Det. Rebus TV series with a younger actor. Didn't like it nearly as much as the books. The actor was a little too clean and fresh for Rebus IMO. Would like to catch the older fella in the role. Rankin's first published book, "The Flood", is next on my reading list. I've just got to knock off another thousand words before I get my reward.

Reaction score
I notice on the UK print runs at least, they've started putting An Inspector Rebus Novel: 1 and so on, on the back. Very handy. Normally I avoid series because of the confusion of finding and reading all the books in the correct order, but...this is Ian Rankin, so he's worth it.

Reaction score
I loved them. Read about six or seven before the crush burned out. Series are very hard to keep going. I love the Edinburgh settings. Perfect city for murder, mayhem, and mystery. I've seen a Det. Rebus TV series with a younger actor. Didn't like it nearly as much as the books. The actor was a little too clean and fresh for Rebus IMO. Would like to catch the older fella in the role. Rankin's first published book, "The Flood", is next on my reading list. I've just got to knock off another thousand words before I get my reward.

Have you heard the saying about Edinburgh - that it's "all fur coat and nae knickers"? :D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've read and enjoyed most of 'em. Rankin keeps his novels interesting and accessible, tho' sometimes the investigations feel kinda plain vanilla. My favorite... not that you're asking... um... probably The Hanging Tree.

And not that it matters, but I didn't think either Hannah or Stott got the character quite right, Rebus was supposed to be a physically capable ex-SAS type. I found the contrast between the different actors rather wrenching, I didn't take to Stott's scowling grumbling shouting version, his accent and demeanour didn't seem to suit posh Edinburgh.

-Derek

Reaction score
Nope - haven't heard that one. I've heard it's the junkie capital of Europe, and that Glasgow is the heart attack capital of the world, though. True?

It's the AIDs capital of Britain, but Dundee (yay!) is the teen pregnancy capital of Britain and as for heart disease, Scotland as a whole whups the rest of Europe's arse.

I know Aberdeen has a major drugs problem. The public toilets there have blue lighting. I have an amusing story about this...

I was sitting in a cafe with my aunt, took a toilet break, came back and complained that I couldn't fix my makeup as the lights were blue so I couldn't tell if I was being too heavy-handed with the concealer and blusher. So she explained it's to stop junkies finding a vein.

Naturally, I had to go back and check that this was the case, so I rolled up my sleeve...and in walks the cleaner.

"I'm not a junkie - I'm just seeing if it's possible to find a ve-"

Oh, why didn't I just STFU?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find if I truly love a character in a book or series of books, it's best to avoid any and all actor versions. They never live up to what the author put in my head.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
It's the AIDs capital of Britain, but Dundee (yay!) is the teen pregnancy capital of Britain and as for heart disease, Scotland as a whole whups the rest of Europe's arse.quote]

Those are some proud statistics right there. I used to live in Motherwell - vomit capital of the world.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I know Aberdeen has a major drugs problem. The public toilets there have blue lighting. I have an amusing story about this...
OMG. My gran'd be rolling over in her grave if she kent tha'. Her beloved Aberdeen, gone to hell.

dolores haze

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I read one of those really cheesy Scottish based romance novels (you know, extremely well-endowed men running around the Highlands in a kilt saying "Och" and "Lassie" every few minutes), I like to follow it with a Rebus novel. It's like following a spoonful of sugar with a squirt of lemon juice.