Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
http://arts.independent.co.uk/books/news/article2970765.ece

When Caroline Michel agreed to become the chief executive of the talent agency, PFD, it was seen as a triumph for her new employers. She was a leading light of the publishing world who had been lured to the helm of an agency that counts the likes of Tom Stoppard, Ricky Gervais and Keira Knightley among its celebrity clients.
Few could have guessed it would also set off a chain reaction of high-profile departures. But following the announcement that Ms Michel was starting her new job at PFD today, as reported in The Independent last week, several senior staff members have resigned with the intention of starting a rival agency after Christmas.

interesting. So a new UK agency is on the horizon... with new chances for clients?

Reaction score
Yabba dabba doo...I'll keep an eye on this. Thanks, aruna. You may have a signed copy of my first Booker winner. ;)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I like this. The idea of rebel agents scouring London is just delicious!

Together, the “rebel agents” are said to be scouring London for new premises in which to set up a rival firm around Christmas. A property in Covent Garden looks to be ideal. .... Yes, they have since worked out a business plan to set up a new agency. They have identified suitable premises but have yet to sign the lease.”

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
In this article it says, "If the writers follow the agents, their backlists can't go with them - they have to remain with PFD. But if they stay, they'll no longer have their agent."

How does that work, exactly? I was just reading over at Kristin Nelson's blog about perpetuity clauses--is that what the issue is here? (Forgive me if that's a stupid question--I'm still trying to learn all the publishing industry terms and how things work. :))

ETA: I came over here from this thread. I thought the question was more suited for this part of the forums than for the backgrounds and bewares section.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Well, I can partly explain from first hand experience! I parted company with my old agent at A M Heath a few years ago. They had sold three books to a British publisher, and foreign rights to four other publishers.

Now, all my royalties still come through them. If I have any questions about late royalties etc, I have to ask them. In a few cases, I have gone over to dealing with the subagents concerned in the relevant countries, as their responses are much quicker. So as long as these books are in print, the agency keeps earning commisions from royalties.

One of my books has gone out of print and I have asked the (British) publisher to reprint. If they do not reprint within six months I can look for another publisher, and it seems as if they are hanging on to the rights for as long as they can.

I will soon be querying again and if I get a new agent, and the first book is out of print, and I sell another novel, the first one will be mine to sell again.

Last edited:

Finni

discipula vitae
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea about anything. I just write. I am intimidated by threads such as this because I have no clue what anyone is talking about. I get the general stuff...I know what a query letter is, and what an agent does (I am pretty sure) and what a publishing company is.

I can hardly wait til I have to worry about these things...

<frightened stare>

Maybe this is what has kept me from finishing anything worthy of publishing.

beckettm

Registered
Reaction score
UNITED AGENTS AGENCY IN LONDON IS THE TOPS!

I'm in Los Angeles, California, and know the entertainment industry quite well. United Agents in London is clearly a top agency with top-echelon agents and clients. Maureen Vincent, who represents Jennifer Saunders, among other major talents, is nothing if not at the top of her field. I have long wanted to see what she looks like. I just found an image of her online and, as suspected, she looks she break through 500 steel walls with a mere glance. But she's good at what she does, as are all the agents at United Agents. It's along the lines of such top Hollwood agencies as CAA, ICM, and William Morris.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Interesting news. And as I'm off work next week, I have time to make my submissions all purty and ready to send.

Status
Not open for further replies.