Dennis Lehane

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but Dennis Lehane's novel, Gone Baby Gone, has been made into a movie directed by Ben Afleck and starring his brother. I like Dennis Lehane and I was wondering what other people think of his fiction.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
One of the masters of the genre. Perhaps the best mystery writer in the world -- if you can call his fiction "mystery." ("Crime" is probably more apt.)

Mystic River was a punishing novel. Just wrenching. And tremendously entertaining to boot. Thought Eastwood's film, while very good, didn't hold a candle to the novel.

I think I read that the thing he's working on now is a World War II epic? (I could be wrong about that.)

Last edited:

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
One of the masters of the genre. Perhaps the best mystery writer in the world -- if you can call his fiction "mystery." ("Crime" is probably more apt.)

Mystic River was a punishing novel. Just wrenching. And tremendously entertaining to boot. Thought Eastwood's film, while very good, didn't hold a candle to the novel.

I think I read that the thing he's working on now is a World War II epic? (I could be wrong about that.)

I agree mostly. I think the first scene in Mystic River--the scene where the kid is kidnapped--is one of the best scenes in recent fiction. I think I held my breath until it was over. And I agree with you about Eastwood's film. The new film was just given the endorsement of Lehane. He really liked it. That might be, however, because he and Afleck are both Boston guys.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Also enjoyed Lehane's Shutter Island. One of those novels that had a trick ending that, for me, really worked.

I hope the rumor about the WWII epic isn't true. I don't mind WWII history, but it's been done to death.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
After I read Mystic River I couldn't wait to get my hands on Shutter Island, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was a bit of a stretch somehow and now I don't remember why I thought that. Anyway, he is a fine writer and I agree with you about the World War II novel. His power is in the genre--which really transcends genre because his writing is both visceral and cerebral when he sticks to what he knows.